Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 21, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile Wifi booster

I'm sonout of my depths with this one. We have recently moved and are now with Virgin. Wifi is fine apart from in my daughters room sometimes. It seems to literally drop when she walks into her room. It's the furthest away from the hub. Does anyone have any wifi boosters that they would recommend? Virgin phone waits at the mo seem huge so if not too expensive I'd happily just buy one.

Thank you
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
I'm sonout of my depths with this one. We have recently moved and are now with Virgin. Wifi is fine apart from in my daughters room sometimes. It seems to literally drop when she walks into her room. It's the furthest away from the hub. Does anyone have any wifi boosters that they would recommend? Virgin phone waits at the mo seem huge so if not too expensive I'd happily just buy one.

Thank you
Hi you might need one of these

virginmedia/help/vir...erline-booster
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I would get a powerline kit with a WiFi repeater. Not a fan of just a WiFi repeater as they are trying to boost a weak signal.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
My son bought a TP link WiFi extender, plugged it in a socket in the kitchen that is under his bedroom and he says it’s so much better
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

We got a wifi booster installed free with our virgin package, may be worth contacting them, I think you can online chat rather than phone up
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

We are with Virgin and had similar problem with just one bedroom being patchy. Just went to Currys and got a Netgear extender for about £35, it’s very compact and you just plug it in half way between router and wherever needs signal. We also get great signal in the garden now as a bonus. There was a little bit of work to set up and register it.
Perthite is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone. I'll look into all suggestions. Theres no problems when there are 3 of us online all day with the kids for school and I'm working from home, it really is odd that it just drops in her room. Sometimes it's ok, others it's not. She hasn't much luck, when we moved in and were using mobile data, she was having issues with that too. Shes on tesco mobile the same as me and has an iphone 11 so nothing rubbish but she struggled. Shes down with us in the kitchen for school then sets up camp in my room for roblox and chatting to pals lol
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

This would be my recommendation and is what I use in a similar situation. Basically we have mesh throughout the house but it doesn’t reach the outhouse which I use for my cycling training. So In that room I use a powerline.

The boosters that others are recommending will work but as above these tend be capped/reduce the max broadband speed you’ll get, more than a powerline will. Not a problem if your daughter doesn’t need high bandwidth but I think a powerline is best of both worlds here.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
This would be my recommendation and is what I use in a similar situation. Basically we have mesh throughout the house but it doesn’t reach the outhouse which I use for my cycling training. So In that room I use a powerline.

The boosters that others are recommending will work but as above these tend be capped/reduce the max broadband speed you’ll get, more than a powerline will. Not a problem if your daughter doesn’t need high bandwidth but I think a powerline is best of both worlds here.
Hiya

I'm not too sure what mesh or a powerline is to be honest?
Old 13 Jan 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We bought one last week, after the Virgin man came out to fix the TiVO box in our room, we're on 3 floors, and have gadgets galore and our WIFI has always struggled. It's been brilliant so far... not dropping out at all and the teens havent complained about 'lagging' once! Well worth the money, we have one in the living room, one in my sons room, and one in our room in the loft.

amazon/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We only paid £149 for it. It's out of stock but am sure there are similar about.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List