Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Dec 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mindy
Proud to wear my Ears

Mindy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Dollars now?

Going in April, rate has gone up today after the election, get them now or hope they may rise a little more before then?
Mindy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
AndyA06
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Honest answer is that no one knows. With a now stable majority (whichever way you voted) it means more certainty and with certainly the £ rises. When the brexit deal passes I wouldn't be surprised to see another rise in the £ but then it could lead to another period of the unknown so it could drop.
AndyA06 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

I've just asked my brother... he used to trade foreign currency... and he said you may as well flip a coin!

If you're happy with the rate, buy some, but don't stress if you don't.

FWIW, I think we will try and get £500 later if the rate stays the same.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I've just bought £500 and will get the other £500 after Brexit (or just before if my nerve doesn't hold) to hedge my bets.
Old 13 Dec 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

The way I look at it is from a budgeting perspective when it comes to losses and gains. When you first look you get an idea of what you need to change to get "enough" spending money, and plan to save it up. If the rate goes up, most people would still change what they budgeted for and get a bonus few dollars. If it goes down, you either need to accept you have less spending money, or pump in more sterling to get what you planned. For me, a lot depends on whether you think you can afford to suddenly find extra money to keep your holiday on track if you need it, and whether the possibility of gains is worth this risk.

Of course there's the other opinion that it's all much of a muchness, and what will be will be, don't fret over it as the difference is likely to only be enough for one meal.

My most practical advice is to find somebody that's done a one off trip to anywhere that uses dollars and offer to change their spare at mid market rate, so you both gain. I found a workmate that honeymooned in Peru.
Old 13 Dec 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We go in May, I've got half now and will wait until May for the rest.
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We don't go till August but have bought half of what we usually take. Will see what the new year brings before getting the rest.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List