Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Dec 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Any advice on treating house for cat fleas?

Our new kitten has fleas. Our other 2 cats are treated so hopefully they are ok but any thoughts on whether I need to treat my house and what with?

Does anyone know if the flea catcher lights work?

I’ve read mixed reviews on whether to hoover vigorously to start with or use a spray to kill any fleas first. All advice gratefully received.

Ps waiting on the vet ordering advocate for the kitten as she is too small for stronghold.

Cheers
Fluff
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Ours had fleas this summer and also had them about 10 years ago. We sprayed the whole house with indorex spray - needed about 3 cans! I'm itchy thinking about it!
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
Ours had fleas this summer and also had them about 10 years ago. We sprayed the whole house with indorex spray - needed about 3 cans! I'm itchy thinking about it!
when we our cat adopted us he had fleas and the vet suggested indorex - I got it from pets at home.
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post

My mum has had an ongoing battle with fleas since August. Unfortunately they haven’t completely got rid of them.
Keep the kitten to one room and don’t let it mix with your other cats! If you keep the kitten to one room, you only have to generally worry about de-fleaing that one room.
Hoover everyday, make sure you go around all edges of the room.
Empty hoover outside after every use.
Wash anything the kitten sits on daily or Hoover it well.
You can get sprays to spray everything in the room, however the room needs to be well ventilated and you cannot use that room for a number of hours a afterwards.
Groom your kitten daily. Adult fleas can lay 50 eggs per day. The more you groom out the less that are dropping off into the environment.
Fleas can lay dormant for 6 months in cooler conditions, so you need to keep up treating the house if it is on the cooler side.
Possibly get a pest controller/fumigator in to cover the whole house.

I hope you manage to get rid of them. It can be very difficult thing to completely get rid of.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you both. Did it leave any lingering smell on the carpet/ furniture? I will need to wait on the spray arriving, think it would infest my hoover if I hoover before spraying?
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
My mum has had an ongoing battle with fleas since August. Unfortunately they haven’t completely got rid of them.
Keep the kitten to one room and don’t let it mix with your other cats! If you keep the kitten to one room, you only have to generally worry about de-fleaing that one room.
Hoover everyday, make sure you go around all edges of the room.
Empty hoover outside after every use.
Wash anything the kitten sits on daily or Hoover it well.
You can get sprays to spray everything in the room, however the room needs to be well ventilated and you cannot use that room for a number of hours a afterwards.
Groom your kitten daily. Adult fleas can lay 50 eggs per day. The more you groom out the less that are dropping off into the environment.
Fleas can lay dormant for 6 months in cooler conditions, so you need to keep up treating the house if it is on the cooler side.
Possibly get a pest controller/fumigator in to cover the whole house.

I hope you manage to get rid of them. It can be very difficult thing to completely get rid of.
This doesn’t sound good, although I need to hear it. Any recommendation on what comb to get? I’m assuming a longer tooth comb to get through the dense fur.
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My mum uses a nit comb for children and she gets fleas out with that. A vet could give you advice on what type to use.

My mum and dad are only still struggling with fleas because my dad keeps using frontline on the cat which clearly isn’t working. I have told them to get the stuff from the vet but he won’t listen. I see you are getting some recommenced from the vet so that is good.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Fleas were a real problem this summer, so even though that Indorex is meant to last for 12 months we had to spray it twice. We’ve only used it once before a few years ago and only had to do it once. Hoover everywhere for several days afterwards, I only managed three! But it does the trick. Obviously treat the cats as well...not with Indorex! The trick is to empty your hoover bag outside and straight into a tied up bag in the dustbin so they don’t escape back into the house. Good luck!

Deggs x
Deggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Another vote for indorex. It's what our vet told us to use when we first got our cat. It's supposed to do a 4 bed house with 1 can but we always need more than 1! It does smell but you air out the house immediately and it doesn't linger. We also give our cat comfortis tablets which kill fleas.

When we moved into our new house a couple of weeks ago there was a flea problem from the previous owners dog. Indorexed it and all seems good now (We hope...!)
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
My mum uses a nit comb for children and she gets fleas out with that. A vet could give you advice on what type to use.

My mum and dad are only still struggling with fleas because my dad keeps using frontline on the cat which clearly isn’t working. I have told them to get the stuff from the vet but he won’t listen. I see you are getting some recommenced from the vet so that is good.
When we first got our cat we were using off the shelf spot on flea treatments and they were definitely not working, she had lots of bites the poor thing. Took her to the vet and they said if you can buy it off the shelf its not effective enough. Either the 'good' spot on treatments you only get via the vet or the tablets are the best bet. We use tablets as I'm never convinced by spot on, impossible to apply properly on a wriggling bag of claws and she just licks it off even though it must taste awful!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List