Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 8 Feb 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Oh my word, Kate. I got shivers reading this! What a horrible experience for you all. So so glad that it was a false alarm but my god Virgin and MCO need to learn some lessons from this!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 18, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Oh my goodness, that must have been terrifying. Thank heavens it turned out to be a false alarm. But what utter chaos!

Hope it didn't spoil your holiday memories too much.
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Oh my goodness kate. What a awful end to your holiday 😞
That must if been so scary and then compounded by how badly the security and flight being cancelled was handled.
You poor things. My heart goes out to you having to deal with that with your girls.
Thank you so much

Originally Posted by Mamie Baldwin View Post
Oh my word, my heart goes out to you all, how traumatic. I can’t begin to imagine how you must have been feeling.
Thank you

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
What an awful experience! I think you have written about it really well - it must have been hard to write it down.
I'm glad you made it home eventually.
Thank you so much

It wasn't very nice. Brought it all back TFR x

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Oh my goodness, my heart was in my mouth reading that so goodness knows how you must have felt living through it.
It was awful.

Thank you so much

Originally Posted by kat90 View Post
We were in Orlando when this happened, I remember seeing it on the news. It must of be awful to have been caught up in it but I’m glad everything turned out ok in the end.

I hope it didn’t ruin the Disney magic for you and your girls!
Thank you xx

Originally Posted by Excited83 View Post
Oh my goodness, I feel sick just reading this. I can't believe you had to go through all that - and didn't even manage to get home at the end! You poor things. I hope it didn't ruin your holiday memories too much. Xx
Thank you TFR x

Originally Posted by codym View Post
I had tears in my eyes reading that, I can only imagine the terror you felt at the airport. Then the waiting and cancellation after. Such a stressful end to an otherwise lovely holiday It really sounds like such a traumatic day
It was terrifying TFR x

Originally Posted by Becstarprincess View Post
Oh my what a horrid end to such a wonderful holiday, I've been in a similar situation it's truly terrifying. Big hugs 🤗
Yes it was. TFR x

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
What a terrible day Kate, you all must have been petrified! Your girls looked exhausted. I do hope travel day goes smoothly for you all. I have really enjoyed your report, so sad it ended this way
We were. Thank you xx

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
I feel panicky just thinking about being in that situation, it must have been so scary for you all. And only compounded by hours of waiting afterwards with tired children
It was awful. TFR x

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
What an awful experience. I can’t even imagine the terror as you saw everyone running past you.
And then the hours of waiting. What a nightmare.

I’d have waited too though. I’d have been terrified of missing my flight.
It was truly horrible. TFR x

Originally Posted by yellowrose78 View Post
Oh how awful! What a frightening experience!
Thank you x

Originally Posted by Hidden mickey View Post
What a terrible experience so sorry
Thank you xx

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
Oh what an awful end to a lovely holiday. You must have all been so terrified. I would have just left the bags and run too, anything to keep the kids safe. (and yourselves of course, but as parents, it's the kids who we try and protect isn't it). I think you all coped amazingly well under the circumstances, I feel emotionally exhausted just reading about what happened.
We were. Aww thank you. TFR x

Originally Posted by Dutchdisneyfan View Post
What a nightmare, you should be proud of your family how you handled it <3
And yeah for all the people helping!

How are the girls now? Are they ok flying again?
Thank you so much

yeah they were fine flying the next day and they've not had any nightmares. I think kids are pretty resilient! TFR x

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
How utterly terrifying. How are your girls now?
What a horrible end to a brilliant holiday but thank goodness it was a false alarm.
Thank you. yeah they were fine flying the next day and they've not had any nightmares. I think kids are pretty resilient! TFR x

Originally Posted by vics18 View Post
Been dreading reading this one Kate. Can't even imagine the absolute terror you must have felt. What a scary world we live in xxx
Aww thanks Vicky, very scary TFR x

Originally Posted by DISNEYLIZ View Post
I am in a state of shock just reading this. So relieved that you were ok. The luggage would have been the last thing on my mind
Thank you! TFR x

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
How awful the girls did so well, bless them. What an ordeal to get through xxx
Aww thank you and TFR x

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
I remember reading about this while we were in the magic kingdom, absolutely awful, I had no idea it was that bad. I was just grateful we weren't due to fly home for another 4 days. I can't believe what you went though, but I hope it hasn't put you off.
Thank you, I know, its nothing like how they were reporting it! TFR x

Originally Posted by rubberduckie89 View Post
Than you for writing about this - it must've been so hard for you to do and sounds like a terrible experience!
It was horrible. TFR x

Originally Posted by firsttimedream View Post
OMG! I'M sat here in tears after reading that 😢😢 how utterly terrible an experience that must have been for you all. Glad it wasnt what everyone thought is was though😧 xx
Oh no! Sorry! It was really scary. TFR x

Originally Posted by moosha View Post
A horrible end to what started as such a lovely last day. I remember how shaken up and shocked you seemed on Facebook that day and as others have said, you guys handled it so well when you must have been petrified.

Glad to hear there were lots of kind people helping one another out during all the chaos, panic and endless waiting. Mat and I once spent a night in an airport after a cancelled flight, and were also on one of the first flights out of MCO after 9/11 which meant some pretty long security queues, so I have an idea how you guys must have felt. Although it must have been so much harder with children.

Pleased to hear that Virgin did get you into a hotel room in the end, but a crazy long and scary day for you all.
Thanks so much. Yes it was really horrible. TFR x

Originally Posted by mick View Post
What a really horrible day you had :
And so long before you knew what was going on so not surprised the girls were upset.

We had a strange afternoon that day as we had just arrived off a BA flight.

Got through immigration and collected our bags went up the escalator to get on the monorail and all the alarms and blue lights were going off!

People were running from the terminal on the footpath at the side of the monorail rails, some people who didn’t even want to be in that hub just been told to run from the terminal.
As you say nobody seemed to know what was going on! And lots of crying and panicking was all around.

After waiting around for nearly an hour they decided we could walk into the terminal, as they were not using the monorail! As two over 70’s with dodgy knees,with cases and cabin bags this was hard work

When we got into the terminal it was chaos but at least we were there. Had a bit of a wait to get the car as everybody was arriving at the garage at the same time after the lockdown.

Joan
Hi Joan,

Oh no what a nightmare! It was shambolic wasn't it! Glad you got through OK in the end! TFR x

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
After a lovely start having breakfast with Pooh Beart and friends what a horrifying end to your last day. Even though it was a "false alarm" I cannot imagine what was going through your heads at the time and the debarcle that followed. Glad you got a bed finally and got home safe and sound eventually xx
Thank you it was so horrible. TFR x

Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Wow that must have been so traumatic We were also flying home that day but were so so lucky. Our indirect flight to Philly literally must have taken off minutes before it all happened. I knew we were lucky but reading your report of it makes me appreciate even more so how lucky we were.
It was! Oh wow that was lucky! We should've flown indirect TFR x

Originally Posted by mrsstitch View Post
Oh my! An emotional read-so was clearly so much worse for you guys going through it. So frustrating for you too-as it could've been sorted so much earlier in the day-they left you waiting far too long. Glad your were all safe in the end.
Thank you TFR x

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Oh wow, an emotional read I can’t even imagine how it must have felt to be there. Such a lovely start to your day too
Aww thank you! It was awful. TFR x

Originally Posted by lumosq102 View Post
Oh goodness that must have been terrifying - what an awful end to your holiday. I'm so sorry
Thank you TFR x

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
I'm so sorry your holiday ended like this! Just relieved you all got home safe & sound (eventually) x
Aww thank you TFR x

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
Wow, what day for you all! It's awful when even just a delay happens and you just want to get home, let alone when a catastrophe like that happens. I can feel the emotion in your writing and I don't blame you for all wanting to sleep together when you finally got to bed. At least you're all safe and sound xx
yeah it is! Aww thank you very much TFR x

Originally Posted by DisneyBride08 View Post
Just had to read your last day to find out where you were when it all happened at the airport.

We must have just been on a bus before you. We were in the lift going up as we heard the screams. The doors opened and my little lady stepped out as people where screaming get out, get out. I was trapped behind our suitcases but somehow jumped over them to pull her back into the lift. We then made the lift go down to the car park and was stuck there for a while not knowing what to do.

When we were brave enough to venture out, that was when we saw you.

We were lucky getting to the hotel quite quickly as they took our sons autism into account after some moaning. It really did make an interesting end to the holiday.

I hope your girls were OK after that? Our little lady mentioned the lift and a bang abut hopefully that was all. Our son did have a meltdown at the side of the road and upset a little girl near us. But this was because he didn't understand why we had left the airport. He wasn't aware of the issue.
Oh bless you! Yeah It was horrible wasn't it. I'm glad they got you a hotel nice a quickly. TFR xx

Originally Posted by Flimsey View Post
How awful, I teared up when you wrote about protecting your daughters. I can’t imagine how you felt, you must of been so scred
Aww thank you yes I felt totally helpless. TFR x

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Well a lovely start to the day! Breakfast sounded lovely and then a nice look round Disney springs. I love the sugerboo shop
What an absolute nightmare though, my mum and Dad were on the other side of it and had just landed, I bet you were all so stressed and exhausted, it just sounds hideous
Its a cool shop!

We were. Thank you! TFR x

Originally Posted by fletchie148 View Post
What a terrible experience for you all
So glad you were all safe
Thank you TFR x

Originally Posted by florida girl View Post
What an awful experience after such a lovely holiday, so glad it was'nt a shooter and everyone was safe so much disruption though.
Thank you yes me too. TFR x

Originally Posted by firsttimemouse View Post
Oh my god. What a distressing experience. Just awful.
It was! Thank you xx

Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
OMG what an awful day .
Thank you x

Originally Posted by stace&tink View Post
Such a rubbish end to a fantastic holiday. I remember that night so well. Our messages to each other trying to find out what was going on. Was just horrendous! And your experience was even worse than mine.
I may get around to writing about my experience in about a month. Lol.
Thanks Stace, yeah it was horrible wasn't it! Glad you got home in the end. TFR x

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Oh my! It sounds terrifying. What a horrid end to your holiday. I'm not surprised you wanted to sleep with your girls. Phew.
Thank you TFR x

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Oh my goodness, what an awful experience for you all. My heart was in my throat while I was reading it, I just can't imagine going through it. I hope that writing it out didn't make you too upset again.
Thank you it was. It wasn't very nice to write about. TFR x

Originally Posted by NatsyNoo View Post
Oh my goodness what what a horrible horrendous day! I don’t really know what else to say other than i’m Sorry you ever had to go through that. What a world we live in
Thanks Nat, That's OK thank you for commenting x

Originally Posted by Twinklestar1 View Post
Oh Kate! What a truly awful experience for all of you! Such a shame that a lovely holiday should come to an end in this way. It sounds like you all handled it really well and kept your cool - how lovely of other people in the same predicament to try and help you in small ways, they must be dibbers!
Wont say I look forward to the next instalment as I just hope it got better for you! x
Thank you it was really horrible! TFR x

Originally Posted by VonnieBee View Post
Oh my goodness Kate, I’m shaking just reading about it, what an awful end to a perfect holiday. I’m not surprised that it affected you for weeks, the thought of what could have happened just doesn’t bear thinking about and unfortunately it does happen now all too often, you must’ve been petrified. I hope the girls are ok, thank you for sharing that couldn’t have been easy to write xx
Thank you They're OK now thank you x

Originally Posted by NikNak View Post
What a horrific end to your holiday. I got goosebumps reading it and I just can't imagine how scary it must have been for you all x
Thank you, it was horrible. x

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Wow, that is a truly terrifying ending to your holiday. I have loved reading about your adventures up to this point, your trip report has been fabulous, and I'm so sorry you all had to experience this day at the end of your holiday.

I remember reading about all this happening, a couple of weeks after we had returned home, and was horrified thinking about the poor people caught up in it.

I hope you and the girls aren't too traumatised by it long term, and that you will be able to go back there again without too much worry.

Thank you so much for writing it all in such detail, it makes much more sense than what we had read on the internet about the day - I know that must have been so hard for you to do, but hopefully it will have been somewhat therapeutic to write it all down.
Thank you, I think there was just so much confusion!

Thanks for your lovely comment, I think it was in a way but also brought it all back TFR x

Originally Posted by Marriner 1965 View Post
Hi it's awful to be delayed especially with children we were delayed 24 hrs in October we have just got back £533 each for been delayed frm virgin frm Sally ann 😐☺
Hi! Unfortunately we don't have a claim as it was due to security they don't have to compensate you TFR x

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Oh no, glad you were all safe!
Thank you x

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Oh Kate what a long stressful day. Glad you are all ok and eventually got sorted.
It’s hard to know what to do for the best xx
Thank you xx

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
After such a lovely trip report what an awful end. I can fully sympathise with how traumatic it is, we had to run out of the Florida mall once due to gun shots (which turned out to be popping balloons from a shop opening) It was horrific, a man running past knocked my son to the floor, I was ahead running with the buggy and looked back to see him on the floor with my husband trying to get him up in the crowd and my daughter crying. We ended up hiding in a bush while my husband snuck around to get the car as we still thought there was a shooter and we didn’t know how many. At least we got to go straight back to the Disney bubble though and not to deal with the airport chaos. It stays with you though, and even now 18 months later writing about it gives me the chills. My son thinks it’s a wicked story to tell people though how he got injured running from a suspected gun man (he got a bruised finger) and my younger daughter thought it was the best buggy ride ever but was gutted she left her pizza behind in the bushes running from the noises. I won’t ever get my older daughter back to the Florida mall though I think as she was hysterical and is much more sensitive and so and won’t even entertain the idea. It hasn’t stopped us going back to Florida though as we went last year and are going this, but it does make me think every place we go how we would get out in a rush and I had never done that before, but maybe that’s not a bad thing.
I hope you all start to forget it and just remember the good bits!
Oh my God what a horrible experience! Oh bless your older daughter how awful!
Thanks for reading x

Originally Posted by miss_bell View Post
Oh my! Kate what an awful experience. Glad you are all ok
Thank you xx

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
My god what a horrific thing for you all to experience! You poor thing, you must have been terrified!
I have to say though, big credit to your girls, they sounded like real troopers throughout the whole thing bless them
Thank you, TFR x

Originally Posted by mouselover22 View Post
Oh my Kate, my heart was in my mouth reading about your arrival at the airport! How traumatic for you all.

The girls are amazing and are a credit to you both.
Aww thank you TFr x

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
Oh my god, how utterly terrifying, I have no idea what I would have done in that situation, it sounds like you handled it really well. As for all the queues and confusion after that, what a nightmare, you must have been so scared still!
Yes I was! Aww thanks! TFR x

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
Omg, what a horrible experience for you all, especially with the kind of high alert climate we live in at the minute.
yes, definitely! TFR x

Originally Posted by KittyBlackDog View Post
Oh my goodness what a horrifying situation to be in, especially with the girls. My heart was in my mouth reading that surmising how you must have been feeling/coping. I want to give you all a huge hug 😢😢

I’m beyond glad that you’re all safe and it was all a false alarm despite being so scary and terrifying at the time.
Aww thank you! TFR and commenting x

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Oh my word, Kate. I got shivers reading this! What a horrible experience for you all. So so glad that it was a false alarm but my god Virgin and MCO need to learn some lessons from this!
Aww thank you Helen. Indeed they do! TFR x

Originally Posted by kadypants View Post
Oh my goodness, that must have been terrifying. Thank heavens it turned out to be a false alarm. But what utter chaos!

Hope it didn't spoil your holiday memories too much.
Thank you, luckily not TFR x

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 18, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh my goodness! How absolutely terrifying for you all - it sounded horrendous . You poor things having to experience that after such an amazing holiday.
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh my goodness! What an awful end to a great trip.

It must have been so scary - I can't even imagine how you all felt.

Glad you finally got a hotel room but sounds like it was handled appallingly

So sorry you had to go through that.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 18, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Kate, I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must have been for you all. I'm not surprised it took a long time to get over it. Like you said, even though you knew afterwards what the issue was, you had still gone through an incredibly terrifying time believing there was a shooter.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that and then the whole faff afterwards. The poor girls, they did so well.x

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

What an awful, awful experience. I am so glad that Imogen just thought it was a drill, bless her innocence. I cried just reading about this, so I can’t imagine how much you were affected, or how awful it feels to revisit it, you’re very brave to share with us.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
pcnine28
Imagineer

I read this with tears in my eyes, so glad it all turned out ok in the end x
pcnine28 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Oh Kate, what a traumatic end to your holiday. I cant imagine how scared you must all have been, and how frustrated at how it was handled - all that queuing and lack of information. I'm pleased that the girls were fine - children are very resilient at times x
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Oh my goodness, how awful for you! Glad you were all safe, but the organisation sounds absolutely terrible.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List