Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Mar 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile Electric cars - anyone got one?

Any thoughts?
I’m toying with the idea of joining the company car scheme, but it’s all electric these days.
My grade would be the Kia e-Niro Hyundai Kona type level, nowhere near a Tesla unfortunately.
Thanks
Old 11 Mar 20, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MissB87
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Any thoughts?
I’m toying with the idea of joining the company car scheme, but it’s all electric these days.
My grade would be the Kia e-Niro Hyundai Kona type level, nowhere near a Tesla unfortunately.
Thanks
OH works for Tesla on the mobile serving side, customers chat a lot whist he works on their cars, a lot have moved from other electrics to Tesla.

He warned my Dad off the Kia E-Niro as 2 of his customers had sold due to issues (not minor ones from my limited understanding) and moved over.

Hopefully someone has some helpful news about others but my OH is sold and working out ways we could get a model 3 haha (I on the other hand see how many Disney trips that equals!).

But really I’m also thinking it’s really worth a look at.
MissB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Having just bought my third self charging hybrid, I haven’t been brave enough to move to fully electric. I just can’t see that the infrastructure is in place now, or even in the near future, to support worry free motoring.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBeliever
Getting Excited

Mobile

Just got a Tesla Model 3 Performance two days ago on the company car scheme. The 0% BiK tax next financial year made it a no brainer, only 1% the year after that and 2% the following 3 years.

Do your research, I’ve only ever been interested in a Tesla as an EV as I think the other companies are literally years behind Tesla in their technology and battery tech.
DisneyBeliever is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Tesla Mod 3 not much more expensive than Kia, particularly on finance.

I have a Tesla Mod S, it is awesome. My pal bought a Jag iPace which is lovely but the tech is nowhere near a Tesla. He now says he wishes he’d got a Tesla and has a deposit on one.

However, it’s not until you get one you realise the biggest advantage of a Tesla and that’s the superchargers. Relying on the normal charging network is a nightmare. It will get better but you are often left with broken chargers (only find out when you get there) having to use finicky apps, and slow charge rates. It is very difficult to travel long distances non Tesla despite what people will tell you.

With Tesla no such problems. They route you via a supercharger if you need it, and even warms the battery as you drive to it to accept a faster charge. You also can see live how many chargers are free, from anywhere, on the screen. Just plug it in, no messing. Charges very fast. I can normally charge from say 15% to 80% in 25 mins or so.

This makes long trips with a Tesla pretty easy. I have done 600 mile work trips, and did one from Leeds to Thatcham and back a couple of weeks ago.

Running costs are very cheap. No servicing, no oil, no nothing. Costs about £7 for a full battery at home, which gets me 200 plus miles.

I’ve started driving to London for weekend trips rather than take the unreliable and expensive train. I can get from Leeds to Barnard House car Park behind St Paul’s in 1 charge, but normally stop at Parnell anyway for half an hour for a sandwich and stick on the supercharger (will charge from 30% to to 70% in that time). Then park at Barnard House where they have some free slowish chargers and leave it overnight. Come back Sunday and car Park is £7 ish with a free charge, drive all the way back. Total cost about £15 there and back including parking!

Autopilot makes road trips like sitting on a train. On the motorway it’s totally reliable and you basically just sit here looking out of the window. It’s much less tiring.

Performance is of course awesome as well.
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyBeliever View Post
Just got a Tesla Model 3 Performance two days ago on the company car scheme. The 0% BiK tax next financial year made it a no brainer, only 1% the year after that and 2% the following 3 years.

Do your research, I’ve only ever been interested in a Tesla as an EV as I think the other companies are literally years behind Tesla in their technology and battery tech.
This is what got me thinking about a Tesla too. I’m self-employed so we’ll as the nil BIK, I’d save half the VAT and be able to expense it. In real terms I think a lease works out about £300 a month for the base Tesla 3 doing it that way.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Thanks all, unfortunately I just can’t have a Tesla, it’s not in my pay band and you can’t pay to upgrade, I’m also interested in a small SUV for the dogs/horse stuff.
They’d put a pod on my drive, and I don’t have to travel for work
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Thanks all, unfortunately I just can’t have a Tesla, it’s not in my pay band and you can’t pay to upgrade, I’m also interested in a small SUV for the dogs/horse stuff.
They’d put a pod on my drive, and I don’t have to travel for work
Well if you never have to go more than 200 miles, the Kia is an excellent choice. It’s very good.
Old 11 Mar 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

I've recently gone electric and love it. I admit it isn't best for long journeys, but the majority of my working days I do less than 100 miles, so that's easy enough. No wasting time having to fill up at a petrol station and I can set the time I want it to be ready in the morning and step into a pre-warmed car.

Unless you do really long journeys on a regular basis, I can't think of a reason not to make the change...

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 20, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
TORIMS
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We’ve just bought a Tesla Model 3 that we are collecting 2moro.
Friends also have a Tesla and convinced us that they were worth the money.
I know very little about EV’s to be honest, OH is a big fan and has done all the research - but I guess I’ll find out a bit more 2moro when we go to the Tesla centre for handover “experience” 🙄🙄🙄
Looking forward to find out what all the fuss is about 😉

Vicki x

Apr 1998 Rodeway Inn International drive
Oct 2000 Quality Inn Anahiem, Navy lodge Coranado & The Rio Las Vegas
Apr 2005 Formosa Gardens & Toronto
Dec 2007 Newport Bay DLP
Feb 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

Aug 2014 2 weeks SSR (1 night HRH)
TORIMS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List