Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Aug 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
MH you are naughty, I can see what you have done here. I like freedom of speech as long as it's only me doing the talking ! Lol.
As my mum honestly always said to me as a kid "you're a good show but you're on too long."

And I'm grateful to my mum's Irish side of the family for teaching me to laugh at myself. We would have many Irish gatherings where the more jokes mocking the Irish the better and no one was ever offended (those were the days).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
As my mum honestly always said to me as a kid "you're a good show but you're on too long."

And I'm grateful to my mum's Irish side of the family for teaching me to laugh at myself. We would have many Irish gatherings where the more jokes mocking the Irish the better and no one was ever offended (those were the days).
Wise woman your mother!
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

We all laugh at ourselves and laugh at each other, my parents were born in India but they weren’t Indians and went to catholic schools, we have english, Irish, Dutch, Spanish, heritage so you can imagine the jokes the kids make in our house! But I’m not offended, I couldn’t care less!
Old 2 Aug 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Freedom of speech also includes things like press freedom, political freedom, freedom to believe. I have come to the opposite opinion on a supernatural being to the OP and have had to defend my position a lot. I am willing to discuss with anyone why I believe what I believe. They are feee to discuss back, there are a lot assumptions on both sides that are wrong. We can agree to disagree even though we are both convinced that we are right. Freedom of speech is best for both of us.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi guys there can be lots of disagreements on certain subjects. The black lives matter for instance, agree in principle but all lives matter and yet for saying something on this others may take offence. Others would like to totally control borders and keep everyone else out and again that’s fine but again we don’t all feel that way.
The main problem nowadays is that some people look to be offended and take umbrage.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Playing devil's advocate, MH are you saying that only you are allowed freedom of speech and those who object are not allowed to thus removing their freedom of speech and they can not disagree with you? (the emojii is a sign that I am pulling your leg as I know some people don't like them )

On the subject of renewing vows I'm indifferent, its not for me but if people enjoy it why not? There are other subjects though where I bite my tongue and close the thread quickly. Maybe I'm becoming wiser in my older years
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Renewing vows is a celebration of what has gone and a look forward to what is to come

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Unfortunately a small (well I hope it is small) element of society cite ‘freedom of speech’ to allow them to promote and express racist, homophobic and other illegal and deeply unpleasant opinions
Old 2 Aug 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
Renewing vows is a celebration of what has gone and a look forward to what is to come
Isn't getting married about being together 'till death do us part,' so why the need need to renew marriage vows part way through the marriage (it also has absolutely no legal or official meaning). Why not instead send a card to everyone you know saying 'me and my wife want you to know that we still love each other.' People might think it's a bit odd receiving such a card but it would save the cost of hiring a venue where you would be saying the same thing but in front of them?

Note: The above comment was not intended to bully, upset or offend you of any other person but I am just expressing my freedom of speech.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Lawn mowed and now having lunch😀

Telling a dinner host their meal was rubbish isn't quite free speech but being downright rude.

I agree that some people expressing their freedom of speech can be nasty and unnecessarily rude, but even when someone is polite and to the point about a specific subject they can still be accused of all types of phobias or in some cases even murdered for insulting a person or their belief.

Freedom of speech definitely helps improve things in a democratic society, because where people speak up about certain issues such as short prison sentences for specific crimes then that often leads to changes in the law. Even in countires with dictatorships, people in other countries can occasionally help change/improve things by speaking out and putting pressure on those countries (sadly that doesn't happen often enough).

Someone mentioned about my 'renewing marriage vows' thread, and to use that as an example I honestly don't understand why anyone would be so offended or insulted by other peoples opinions, because that's all they are (opinions). I even learned something from that thread because I never realised until yesterday that some people believe that couples who renew their marriage vows do so because one (or both) have been playing away from home (maybe I've lived a sheltered life), but having a reasonable level of intelligence I haven't now concluded that every person who renews their marriage vows has been playing away from home, so hence why I can't understand why some people get so upset.

If someone said all the men who live in Ruislip are criminals I wouldn't be at the least bit insulted because I'm not a criminal (okay I once got a speeding ticket but I don't think that counts), but I would think what an idiot the person was who made the comment.
I think the issue is sometimes how a question is asked or how an opinion is presented with a thinly veiled judgement implied in the wording. For example - a wording that implies you are stupid if you dont agree.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List