Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Sep 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pollita
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Best age to take children?

I've been aiming to take my son right before he turns 3 (and has to pay for a park ticket!) and then again when he's about 6 or 7 and can remember a bit more.

Would you say this sounds reasonable? I know he won't remember much at 3 but I'm desperate to go back and sadly I had no idea just how expensive a trip would be so it's going to take a few years for me to save for the two of us to go - eek! First trip would be 18 months away so I'm starting to save now.

Bonus Question: Are those of you with 500+ days on your ticket to next visit just basing that on tentative plans or have you somehow booked somewhere? I can't find any way to book past Oct 2020 online!
Old 3 Sep 19, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

There isn’t a right or wrong answer to this...we’ve taken my granddaughter 6 times already... and she starts school next week... will she remember it... probably not much, but the sheer joy in her face at the time has made it all worthwhile. 🙂

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 06:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

We have been with our Grandchildren that over the years have ranged from 1 year to 8 years.
All of them, Us and their parent had an amazing time, Lots of laughter and smiles.
Will the younger children remember it I doubt it, But at the time the children loved it.
Will their parents and us Nanna and Granddad remember it, The laughter and happiness seen in the eyes of our children/Grandchildren, its a memory that will last forever.

I started to take my children over 30 years ago, They tell me now they remembered parts, But they say they always felt a magic inside for Disney and could not wait until they could take their own children ( of which they now do)Myself I remember their happiness and excitement clear as day.

I hope you get to share many happy memories with your children.
Old 3 Sep 19, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Gosh, what a question! I think kids of ANY age will enjoy it, especially if they get caught up with YOUR excitement for it. Go as much as you can afford, from any age you like! There really is no right or wrong answer.

I kind of thought that we would only do it once. I wanted my children to be old enough to remember it, go on all the rides, deal with jet lag, embrace a different culture and have the stamina to keep going! Our "once in a lifetime" trip will be next year when my boys are 12 and 14. We just feel that the time is right, and are lucky enough to be going for a month. Would they have enjoyed it an earlier age though? Hell yeah!

Happy Planning!
TheHughesCrew is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Emma2288
Very Serious Dibber

Taking my 18 month old this month it's just as much a trip for the adults as it is the kids!
Emma2288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pollita View Post
I know he won't remember much at 3

that's the ultimate non-issue

first of all, they do remember more than you would imagine

but, most important, even if they don't remember, YOU WILL.
you willl remember those moments, the looks on their faces, the way they react to lights, sounds, and all that stuff.
you will remember those moments you shared as a family, and those moments go by way too fast as kids grow up.

you don't need to think about what you'll remember, you just need to enjoy the moment.

the whole "memory thing" with kids "too young to remember" is a bit like all those people you see videotaping and recording during shows ... they don't watch the fireworks, they watch their ipad screens while they record the show ... they think they'll capture the moment for memories, but they don't realise they don't enjoy the moment, and the memories they recorded ... sadly for most of them, they'll never watch the video at all ... or dismiss it as too shaky ... and that's a double loss ...

dont question how much any party member will or might remember.
your only concern is with how people in your party will enjoy, on the day

and your kid will have a ball, no matter what age.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Mine have gone from 11 weeks to 16 years and still going
Magic at every age so I would not put an age on your plans, work around when you can afford it.
Children surprisingly grow up too fast and start to realise about costumes etc my son is now 6 and no longer believes in the characters but it was so magical when he did.
Even when my boys where babies their little faces would light up, kicking their legs on excitement with all the music, lights, sights and smells.
There is so much to do in the sun or inside outside of the sun it’s perfect for any age.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think it always depends if it is a once in a lifetime trip or one of many! We’ve taken ours at all ages, but we knew we would be going back. If we’re were just going the once I think I would’ve waited until 6-8 as I think they get the most out of it at these ages - still magical and can get on a lot more rides, particularly heading towards 8. I too our oldest at 2 and 3 months and I have to say, it wasn’t as enjoyable as he was of that age where he wants for be out of buggy, but got tired and the plane journey was a nightmare! Went again at 3 and half and much better so it’s a difficult one! I would say under 12 months or 3 and half onwards are good ages if going again, but if not 6-8.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
I think it always depends if it is a once in a lifetime trip or one of many! We’ve taken ours at all ages, but we knew we would be going back. If we’re were just going the once I think I would’ve waited until 6-8 as I think they get the most out of it at these ages - still magical and can get on a lot more rides, particularly heading towards 8. I too our oldest at 2 and 3 months and I have to say, it wasn’t as enjoyable as he was of that age where he wants for be out of buggy, but got tired and the plane journey was a nightmare! Went again at 3 and half and much better so it’s a difficult one! I would say under 12 months or 3 and half onwards are good ages if going again, but if not 6-8.
I agree with this. I went as a 13 year old, a once-only trip with my grandparents (finally returning next year) and I’m glad I was old enough to remember so much of it. I don’t think I’d feel the same about the holiday if I’d just seen photos but couldn’t actually remember being there.

We first took my girls to DLP at 5 and 9 (went back twice at 6 and 10) and they’ll be 9 and 13 for WDW. That’s slightly older than I would have chosen for my older one, but we’ve only just got to the point where it’s even an option for us financially. It was the same when we first went to DLP - I’d happily have taken them a little younger, but we just didn’t have the money.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
lorna_99
Serious Dibber

My parents first took us when I was 14 and my brother 11, my mum said it was the perfect age as we were old enough to understand it was going to be hot, we had to wait in queues and we were both big enough to go on everything. She witnessed so many people with toddlers wanting carried etc and she couldn't imagine doing that in the summer heat.
I dont think there is a right or wrong answer, and when we went it was 1999 before we had internet to see what all the rides were like and look at park maps online before hand so we had the added excitement of the unknown which made it magical for us in a different way than it is for young kids but magical non the less.
I remember that holiday like it was yesterday!
Point of my comment, the right age is very much dependant on you and your child and what you want out of a Disney holiday.
lorna_99 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List