Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 20, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Ooni Pizza Ovens

Anyone got one of these?
Got one on Friday and cooked up some pizzas on Saturday but looking for a decent dough recipe

Followed the Ooni basic one but it didn't rise much...pizzas were nice but crust didnt bubble as much as expected

Got proper pizzeria flour [Caputo Blue] so hopefully just a beginners issue...!

Edited at 07:03 AM.
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

try the recipe in my pizza thread - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1109738

its basically 60% hydration dough. but uses cooking lager and/or pickle juice in place of a load of the water. i also prefer half 00 flour, half strong bread flour. i find it easier to work with.

not got an ooni yet, but probably gonna end up with the koda 16 at some point soon once they are back in stock and my garden has been re-done
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
try the recipe in my pizza thread - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1109738

its basically 60% hydration dough. but uses cooking lager and/or pickle juice in place of a load of the water. i also prefer half 00 flour, half strong bread flour. i find it easier to work with.

not got an ooni yet, but probably gonna end up with the koda 16 at some point soon once they are back in stock and my garden has been re-done
Grand, thanks...will try that one at the weekend
got the proper flour and tinned San Marzano tomatoes to go with it
Going for the Koda 12 i think next so I have both pellet and gas fired ones
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Mobile

Cooking lager? Love that term, I take it you just use whatever is cheapest or do you have a favourite?
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I use the Ooni one, but with regular bread flour, and it rises loads. Did you knead it enough? I batter the heck out of it with the dough hook on the mixer for 10 minutes, and I end up with a lovely bubbly dough. Once its risen, I divide into portions and then put on a tray with a damp cloth covering, for a second rising.
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

whatever you have to hand thats not too strong (both in alcohol content and beeriness)... personally, i had either peroni or budvar in the fridge not being drank, so i chose the peroni. given the choice of cooking lagers, i would probably go for red stripe or carling though
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

I’ve just bought myself an ooni too, arrives tomorrow.
Can’t wait to get started.
I too normally make pizzas in my oven, (nowhere near to the expertise of Wayne) but I’m well versed in making pizza dough, and a pizza sauce.
I really like the idea of brushing with oil, so I might look into making me some oil
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

my thought about lack of air in the dough... did you use enough yeast? and how long did you leave the dough to rise? i did an experiment with some dough recently, and whilst the dough was useable after 24 hours cold ferment in the fridge, it was 2-4 days in there that was the sweet spot. then, get the balls out at least 5 hours before cooking and leave to rise in a warm place (if its cold outside, put your oven on low for a few minutes, turn it off, then put the dough container in there)

some of the dough i made was left in the fridge for a week and a half, and was still good. although after a while (5 days), you need to re-ball the dough and dust with a bit of flour on the day of using.

also, sugar/honey in the dough adds extra sugars for the yeast to munch on, but also makes a difference to how well the crust browns

hth
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Was just going to ask about yeast and did you use enough ? We run a pizza bar in high season, old school Italian run .
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

We have pizza every Friday, it’s a tradition!

350g bread flour
7g fast action yeast
1tsp sugar
1/2 to 1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp salt
180ml warm water

I do mine in my kitchen aid for at least 10 min until the dough is soft.

Cover and leave for at least an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.

As above you can also do a cold rise (this is how dominos do their dough)
I sometimes do the dough in the morning and put it in the fridge all day. Just bring it out about 30-40 min before you want to use it to let the dough warm to room temp.

Edited at 11:36 AM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List