Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Aug 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

dd student teacher placement Update post 36****

Long story short, dd due to start her final secondary school teaching placement (again) in October, had to withdraw earlier in the year due to terrible treatment from staff at the school, doctor wanted to treat her for depression, she wasn’t depressed just severe anxiety and stress

Anyway roll on several months and she is feeling much better, although I’m sure as the time gets closer she will start worrying again. Basically I’m looking for any teachers who can give her any hints, tips etc on how to deal with very challenging, badly behaved pupils. If there are any websites or resources we could look at that would be amazing.

She has never struggled with behaviour problem before, she is tall and quite able to deal with it, has had three previous placements all with glowing reports, unfortunately certain member of staff including the department head treated her horrendously including giving her the worst of the worst classes, she was hit by flying water bottles, pushed into desks, these teachers sat in the classes and did nothing to help instead telling her to sink or swim. Constantly told her she wasn’t good enough, basically chipped away at her confidence, the list goes on but I’m sure you get the idea.

Any help would be really appreciated, I just want her to be as prepared as possible, thank you! xx

Edited at 08:03 PM.
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

There’s a book called ‘When the adults change, everything changes’ which I have found really interesting.
I hope she has a better experience this time. I am primary and sounds like she’s secondary, so don’t have any actual advice but want to wish her luck x
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Thank you so much, she is secondary. I’ll go and have a look for the book now, thanks again xx
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jorm35
slightly serious Dibber

I would also recommend the same book.
When starting her placement she needs to make sure she has a copy of the schools behaviour policy and finds out about the rewards and sanctions used in the school. It is really important to be consistent with this and to know when and who to escalate issues to eg pastoral support, SLT etc. Also, find out if possible beforehand about and pupils with emotional issues, trauma or SEND as often behaviour can be a result of low self esteem, external things or not fully understanding the work. I’m primary but hope this helps. Good luck to your daughter, it’s the best job in the world.
Old 31 Aug 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Thanks jorm, I’ve ordered the book for delivery tomorrow. I read your replies to dd and she said to say thank you to you both In regard to pupils with emotional issues etc, she said that with the first three schools that was all standard info given to her, with this school only actual medical conditions were noted. One boy fronted up to her the first time in class and she had to think on her feet, the teacher later passed comment along the lines of “Yeah you need to watch him for that”.

Again thanks for your kind replies xx
Old 31 Aug 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Is she going back to the same school for her placement? Has she spoken to the college about her experience? My DD is a secondary school teacher, during her training she had 2 x placements in different schools. First were very supportive, praised what she did well and gave well worded advice/suggestions on how to improve. Second school never once praised anything she did, always seemed to criticise and moan that she had not done things in a different way - sadly this was the longer placement and it nearly stopped her progressing to being a teacher. Luckily she then landed a job in a brilliant school
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Secondary school teacher here. We had a talk from this guy:

behaviourbuddy/author/robin/

I'm pretty good at behaviour management (due to experience mainly, and I've worked in a couple of 'challenging' schools!) but I found him interesting with some practical tips and I am going to recommend him to the NQT I will be working with this year. He has a fortnightly behaviour tips email he sends out, plus I think he's done some online webinars.

Top tips?

1. Be calm - always. I know this is easier said than done!
2. Don't be afraid to wait! 10 seconds when you are waiting for a class to become quiet can feel like a billion seconds!
3. Be consistent - no matter how tempting it is, don't give out whole class punishments. There are always some that *are* doing what they are supposed to.
4. Praise often - it doesn't have to be over the top, just a quiet 'well done'.
5. Seating plans - ask the staff who you are taking over from for theirs, or put your own in. I write their names in whiteboard marker on the desk for for the first couple of lessons. They sit where they are told - no arguments! This pre-empts a lot of issues from even starting. They are in *your* classroom, you are in control!

There are probably loads more - give me a week to get back in the classroom after nearly 6 months of not doing any practical face to face teaching!

What works for some people doesn't work for others - it's all about finding what works for you as a teacher. I still have the odd 'bumps' and situations I've never dealt with, but as long as you reflect on them and move forward then it all is that golden experience.
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Is she going back to the same school for her placement? Has she spoken to the college about her experience? My DD is a secondary school teacher, during her training she had 2 x placements in different schools. First were very supportive, praised what she did well and gave well worded advice/suggestions on how to improve. Second school never once praised anything she did, always seemed to criticise and moan that she had not done things in a different way - sadly this was the longer placement and it nearly stopped her progressing to being a teacher. Luckily she then landed a job in a brilliant school
The Uni were a bit rubbish to start with but once they realised how serious the situation was they have backed her the whole way. She will not be at the same school, tbh she couldn’t even set foot in that place again, Uni is at the moment trying to make sure that she doesn’t get the same local authority. I really don’t think it would be fair to put her into the same area, probably won’t find out till about two weeks before her placement starts so it’s just a waiting game. So please your dd ended up in a great school
Old 31 Aug 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You could look at this one
Sue Cowley ‘Getting the Buggers to Behave’ a few different editions around.
I always recommended trainee teachers considered ‘transition’ situations as these are when behaviour can be a problem. This includes starting and ending tasks, giving out materials, changing equipment etc. It is the appearance of confidence that makes it easier so be prepared to ‘fake it’ if necessary for a while.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Thanks Leyfy that’s a great help. She desperately wants to be back into the classroom as she just loves it, the school she attended as a pupil have been an incredible support since they found out she wanted to teach. She was supposed to go in there after her dissertation was finished to build her confidence before the placement (they are fuming mad that this has happened) as she has helped out in there on and off for the last four years when she hasn’t been at uni. Unfortunately Covid happened instead so thanks for the tips and the link, anything that helps prepare her is amazing. Good luck for your return to school! xx