Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Aug 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

MAN-WC .. don't do it !

Hi guys just a heads up .. we came back last week from a fab west coast holiday.
As VA have started this route we flew MAN-LAX then LAS-MAN .. oh my the flights were terrible
The planes aren't typical virgin and the movie choices are rubbish. We were PE this trip and when we looked into UC they are nothing like we would normally have ... I'm so glad we went PE

Honestly anyone from up north looking at this route just make the trip to London and fly from there.

Lisa x
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

That’s interesting we are on Man to lax flights in a few weeks. The A330-200 aircraft that fly this route were recently refitted with the Virgin branded interior. Although we are only in economy, which from what seen online and read is similar to other Virgin flights.

How was the inflight entertainment system different to what your normally get as from what I had previously seen it was similar to other Virgin Atlantic planes and same movie selection?

Edited at 09:57 PM.
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

The planes were really shabby Hun (not usual Virgin) and I would say at most 60 films (probably less) even the tv and music selection was a lot smaller than normal. Normally I can watch a few movies to make it go quicker but with still an hour to go on the outbound flight I’d ran out of stuff that I fancied the return inbound journey was horrendous .. oh and they decided to split us up on both routes and this is with an autistic son.
The return journey as well they close off the back 2 or 3 rows of four in the middle in economy .. don’t know why I just noticed.

Lisa x
Old 25 Aug 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I just priced it up with Virgin next summer and they wanted 4.5k in school holidays to fly Man to LAX and then Orlando to MAN.
I’ve just booked it with Air Canada via Vancouver for 3k. It may be indirect but flights were better days anyway.
Old 26 Aug 19, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We flew with Virgin from Manchester to Boston on their refitted Air Berlin planes. Would not do again. The leg room was just awful. We're currently in Florida and flew Delta who are heads and shoulders above BA and Virgin based on recent flights
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am not normally the biggest fan of Virgin, rating them on their merits and price, rather than their hype and media advertising.

In the past 4 years I have flown with them three times outside of the standard Orlando run.(albeit I purchased the tickets through Delta on all occasions).

LHR - ATL and then ATL to LHR.
LHR - Newark and then MIA to LGW
LHR-SFO and then LAX to LHR.

All were B787 and the service on all occasions, faultless. As for the films, the most that I can watch in a flight is around 3-4, so a choice of more than a dozen plus the other IFE is more than ample.

Edited at 11:12 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I am not normally the biggest fan of Virgin, rating them on their merits and price, rather than their hype and media advertising.

In the past 4 years I have flown with them three times outside of the standard Orlando run.(albeit I purchased the tickets through Delta on all occasions).

LHR - ATL and then ATL to LHR.
LHR - Newark and then MIA to LGW
LHR-SFO and then LAX to LHR.

All were B787 and the service on all occasions, faultless. As for the films, the most that I can watch in a flight is around 3-4, so a choice of more than a dozen plus the other IFE is more than ample.
Hi the LHR route to the west coast is great .. we did this last year and the plane was as it's always been (if not a bit better) but the Manchester route is using the old air Berlin planes and they are a different kettle of fish.

I just wanted to let people know who may be trying to decide between Manchester or London.

Lisa x
Old 26 Aug 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JediMuM View Post
Hi the LHR route to the west coast is great .. we did this last year and the plane was as it's always been (if not a bit better) but the Manchester route is using the old air Berlin planes and they are a different kettle of fish.

I just wanted to let people know who may be trying to decide between Manchester or London.

Lisa x
Agree VA are generally fine - it is the Manchester routes using the old Air Berlin planes that are the problem. The plane we had was refurbished but the leg room was just too tight even for me and I am not that tall.
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

We used Thomas Cook from Manchester to LAS and LAX back.

Flights were fine, movies poor in economy unless you paid and you pay for drinks outside of meals. But that is all known.

Alternative if someone is looking for one.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

We have just flown MAN-LAX return with Virgin, came back yesterday.

Didn't think the planes were that bad and IFE was typical Virgin fare with decent screens so seemed OK to me (and no worse than BA/AA that we flew with last year).

I'm 6 ft and leg room was tight as expected. Upgraded to Economy Delight on the way back (cost £60) and that was better.

The planes are a bit tatty. Certainly worse than the AA flights we had to Florida last year, but better than the old BA Jumbos we had to West Coast 6 years ago. I think these planes were brought in by Virgin to plug a gap caused by the Dreamliner engine issues. Don't expect they will be used for very long as they are 20+ years old and the transfer to Virgin colours was maybe done with that in mind as I did notice covers coming off seatbacks etc.

Don't be too concerned if you have booked these flights - we thought they were OK and we got what we thought was a decent price for West Coast in school holidays.
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List