Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Aug 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
For the first time ever I gave a really low tip to a waiter in the Cheesecake Factory (next to Macys in Naples). He didn't bring us breadsticks (I think that's what they bring in CF) or offer water. Our main course was brought to the table whilst we were halfway through our appetiser, minus the fries (I had to mention we had no fries to which he said they would be there shortly) they arrived just a minute before we finished our main course so were too full to eat them by this point. I ordered another cocktail, for a change my DH was driving, it didn't come. DH and I nearly fell out because I didn't want to leave a tip and DH said he didn't want a fuss. So he left a really low tip. We didn't explain to the manager, couldn't be bothered at the time and I was ready for him if he came after us... I would have torn a strip off him. He was an arrogant so and so. I kept the bottom of the receipt with the "how did we do" bit and fired off an email complaint. Got an apology and they said they would speak to him, also got a voucher for a future trip which we gave away. No intention of going back.
Off topic but I also dislike that Cheesecake factory at Naples. Not great food or service. They gave my daughter raw chicken last time I went. Never again.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dave+Hel
slightly serious Dibber

Dave+Hel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
Do you really think that if you give them $20 cash, that they go into the back and say “hey I gotta share this out?”
There have been posts on here previously that state the amount of tips are estimated and they have to pay a certain amount anyway regardless of how much they actually get. Could be wrong
Dave+Hel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
peter pan
Very Serious Dibber

We are here now and on average it’s $30 per meal (family of 4) We’ve had some good service and some poor service but I’ve just left the same...last night at Raglan Road we left more because the service was exceptional ... what I didn’t like is that the servers explain to you with the menu what the recommended tips should be! At Raglan Road it was 18-22%!
Old 26 Aug 19, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by peter pan View Post
We are here now and on average it’s $30 per meal (family of 4) We’ve had some good service and some poor service but I’ve just left the same...last night at Raglan Road we left more because the service was exceptional ... what I didn’t like is that the servers explain to you with the menu what the recommended tips should be! At Raglan Road it was 18-22%!
Maybe they identify me as a grumpy old sod!

However I don't think I have ever had a tip issue explained to me for the last 20 years. If they did try I would cut them off and say I know how to tip.

More likely my permanent tan puts them off and they think I'm local.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

We very rarely eat out so don't face tipping on a daily basis, but the obvious 'tip' cup in Subway, Five Guys, Dunkin, Starbucks, pizza/chinese take aways, in fact the majority of food related stores baffles me, heck, I've even seen 'tip' cups on petrol station counters, why? Why do a large percentage of staff believe they should receive/are entitled to board the gravy train of tips for handing over food and taking payment? The bloke who bought our former Cape Coral property owns a, very busy in the summer, pizza shop in Canada, one of his two counter girls was off, so he covered her duties, he was amazed at the tip amounts he received from customers who were oft only there for seconds.

Knew a lass who tended bar for years, her tips afforded her a large income. I related the tale of a man who told us he was chased from a restaurant where the waitress physically threw the tip, a mix of coins and a note, back at him, which may speak volumes about her/service and why he tipped as he did. The lass I knew advised she too had chased people from the bar who, in her opinion, didn't tip sufficiently enough, irrespective of her high income it was purely her making a point. She explained, at that time, the IRS assumed X amount in tips, taxing that figure but she earnt far more.

US tipping percentages rise, wait staff demand, it's no longer discretionary, tourists are finding their meal bill considerably more expensive due to FX rates and increased %. I'm not sure if the Disney waiter is still on the Dibb, but he advised a couple of years ago that locals do not pay the 20%+ expected from tourists.
Old 26 Aug 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by peter pan View Post
That’s now the third Disney place I’ve heard of where they have said 22%.

This is a new thing, predicted to be coming for a few years, and now it’s here.

Pure greed, this will be the norm in 12+ months.

Then we will be moving onto 25%.

I’ve told my daughter don’t bother studying, try to get a job waiting tables at WDW.

Also serious question, why leave $30 tips (the cost of a full meal for many families in the real world) for poor service? Fight back my friend and don’t leave anything or a much lower tip if service is poor, your money is hard earnt no doubt.

Edited at 08:33 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
butterflymags
Excited about Disney

Manny's (on US27) now has 18/20/22 % on their receipts.
Old 26 Aug 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Dave+Hel View Post
There have been posts on here previously that state the amount of tips are estimated and they have to pay a certain amount anyway regardless of how much they actually get. Could be wrong
Not sure whether this is what you mean...

The IRS assumes that the servers get a minimum of 8% of the gross takings in tips. This is what is “estimated” in order to determine the tax to be paid for that period. The employer can request a different percentage amount (for example, if working at a cafe the server may get less tips - therefore the assumed tip percentage can be lower).

Servers have to then declare how much they actually received in tips to their employers who then submit this info to the IRS. The amount of tax is then adjusted in retrospect.

As far as I’m aware there’s no other estimation of how much tips the server will get?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

On our recent trip we tipped about 15% most of the time. To be honest I don’t think service was exceptional anywhere apart from at Teak where we did leave a bigger tip. Whilst staying at PBH for the night we ate in one of the citywalk restaurants. Table for 7 adults, service was so slow. Mains all arrived at different times and a couple of meals weren’t that hot but we couldn’t be bothered to complain after waiting for so long. Tried to get attention to order more drinks but eventually gave up and asked for the check. Left a 10% tip which was generous I felt and as we were leaving the waitress came rushing after me to complain I hadn’t left enough money. I explained I had left what I considered fair and it wasn’t compulsory to leave more, she insisted I hadn’t paid the bill in full and her manager took over. Bit of a heated debate ensued and to be honest in hindsight I wished I’d said just give me the tip back then and left nothing! I think the tips expected now are ridiculous.
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Maybe they identify me as a grumpy old sod!

However I don't think I have ever had a tip issue explained to me for the last 20 years. If they did try I would cut them off and say I know how to tip.

More likely my permanent tan puts them off and they think I'm local.
Me neither - perhaps it's positive age discrimination?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List