Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Aug 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

PSA: If your picking up & dropping off at MCO before July 2020

Please do yourself a favour and sign up for this

visitortollpass/

Don't let the rental companies take your money when this helps you avoid the silly toll admin charges, it should make your actual tolls cheaper & you'll be billed direct instead of waiting for your rental company for the charges.

Read the FAQ's on the page, it's not that difficult and hopefully it'll help make things better/cheaper in the long run when it comes to tolls

Edited at 02:37 PM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Useful for some. Only really of benefit if using tolls mind. Which you don't need around Disbey or Universal in most cases.Some of these posts seem to make it sound like tolls are a big deal all over. Been here two weeks used tolls once to go to Kennedy, flew to Tampa so no tolls but drove through all the same airport ones to and from KSC just took cash. $5.25 each way. Total holiday tolls $11.

Just avoid sunpass lanes and stop at toll booth to pay.

Edited at 03:06 PM.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
Useful for some. Only really of benefit if using tolls mind. Which you don't need around Disbey or Universal in most cases.Some of these posts seem to make it sound like tolls are a big deal all over. Been here two weeks used tolls once to go to Kennedy, flew to Tampa so no tolls but drove through all the same airport ones to and from KSC just took cash. $5.25 each way. Total holiday tolls $11.

Just avoid sunpass lanes and stop at toll booth to pay.
Tolls are a big deal if you're not sticking around Disney & Universal and want to do some other tourist options.

Some of the cash tolls are being replaced with sunpass only (see Tom Morrows post the other day) and as soon as you go through a sunpass (if you've no option) then in some cases you're sprung with a charge of as much as $19.75 for toll admin.

Would not surprise me in the long run that with the introduction of this sort of shceme, that the plan is to go completely cashless.

Edited at 03:27 PM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 03:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I don't stick around Disne or universal been too both only once this holiday and only been on tolls on 417 from KSC and 528 to KSC.

I am not saying it's useless just that some people can read these toll posts and think they will be on toll roads every day. In most cases they will use them to.and from the airport only.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

I don't stick around Disne or universal been too both only once this holiday and only been on tolls on 417 from KSC and 528 to KSC.

I am not saying it's useless just that some people can read these toll posts and think they will be on toll roads every day. In most cases they will use them to.and from the airport only.
At the end of the day, you might not but many others do end up on them, so i appreciate your comments but it's not really helping others who do.

it costs nothing to sign up for it and if someone ends up on a cashless toll road then it's money saved for them.
Old 23 Aug 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
ashesmod
Excited about Disney

ashesmod's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I saw this posted on here the other day and although don't use many tolls, I think the information is great.

It allows me not to worry about change or whether I'm going to be charged etc.

And plus surely this site is mainly for sharing the information which the original poster does, as not everything needs someone's opinion. People can decide for themselves whether to use this or not?!?!
ashesmod is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

No-one has suggested that people will be on toll roads every day. Even you have admitted that those going to/from MCO will use tolls on the the 528 or 417. The new Visitor Toll Pass will even benefit those people too.

Yes, you could always stop and pay cash on those roads to avoid the rental company charges (and can still do so if you want), but now you don't need to stop at all AND will pay a smaller toll than the cash rate. No point now in stopping and paying more, and having to have the exact change at the unmanned ramp machine! What's not to like?

Also, are you aware that they are in the process of installing Express Lanes on the 528? It is not fully open yet, so they haven't introduced the differential toll rates yet, but when they do those lanes will be cashless, so the new pass will help there too.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
I think having one of these is useful for one reason alone - not having to worry about having cash for the tolls. To just be able to just drive straight through the sun pass lane rather than faffing on arrival evening after a 9 hour flight and 5 hour time difference, having to buy something from a shop to get some change is completely worth it.

I've signed up for this year. We are going to Kennedy Space Centre but would have done this even if we weren't.

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm convinced this is a signal that manned tolls (and perhaps cash tolls) are coming to an end in Orlando.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I hope the new system becomes permanent as I need to update the Toll section of the Dibb Guidebook.

I can ditch 90% of it if it becomes the norm to sign up for the Visitor Pass.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List