Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Aug 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Tracy34 View Post
The meal was $250... $20 is an insult...
I'd have chased him as well and give it him back for his cheek.
Really? If you had done that to me I’d have taken the $20 tip back. Personally I would have tipped more but unless it’s a compulsory tip then everything should be accepted graciously and it would be bad mannered to confront a diner

Edited at 11:06 AM.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

My Mum was once chased by a waitress screaming at her because she hadn’t tipped, Mum told her politely that it was on the table if she’d bothered to look. Had I have been there, I’d have gone back in and taken it back after being shown up like that
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I’ve never understood why tipping is done in percentages

Dors the waiter/waitress do more work serving lobster and caviar in a Michelin starred restaurant than in a greasy spoons cafe ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DreamDisney
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I saw that in LA last year when we were going into a good restaurant (Little door I think ?) a waitress was running after a Brit asking what was wrong as he only left 20% ! My LA friend was shocked - at the small tip rather yah. 25-30% he said locals tip - as a Brit I was shocked she was actually chasing the customer !

We still went in and had a fabulous meal and as I didn’t pay now sure what John tipped ... but we didn’t get chased lol
25-30%?! Wowsers! That seems like a ridiculous amount!
DreamDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If someone had chased me, I would have took it back too ! How do we know that the server was worth more than $20. She could have been miserable, not checking on them, not refilling drinks etc...

$20 for probably about 1/2yrs work ( on that one table) is perfectly acceptable.

Edited at 10:59 AM.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Anyone who chased me to get me to increase their tip would result in myself going back and demanding my tip back and compensation from the employee/restaurant. I certainly would be taking it up with management at the time as well explaining why.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DreamDisney View Post
25-30%?! Wowsers! That seems like a ridiculous amount!
That is what is expected - I guess as he has lived in California for 60 of his 65 years and now owns bars in Laguna, Vegas and New Orleans he is better qualified than I to know what to tip
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Wowsers
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We do tip at about 15% ish but I am getting so frustrated by the fact that if we go out for a nice meal I am expected to pay more than I actually earn an hour just for someone to bring my food and refill my drink maybe once.

We have never not tipped but it is getting to be ridiculous amounts! If someone chased me down the street because I had only given them $20 I would be shocked. How on earth much are they earning a night if each table gives this amount?

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland

Edited at 11:17 AM.
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I saw that in LA last year when we were going into a good restaurant (Little door I think ?) a waitress was running after a Brit asking what was wrong as he only left 20% ! My LA friend was shocked - at the small tip rather yah. 25-30% he said locals tip - as a Brit I was shocked she was actually chasing the customer !

We still went in and had a fabulous meal and as I didn’t pay now sure what John tipped ... but we didn’t get chased lol
I always thought in California they had the minimum wage so a large tip wasn't as necessary , I'd have left 18-20% there and thought I was being kind
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List