Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Florida Tix
Unread 23 Aug 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DreamDisney View Post
25-30%?! Wowsers! That seems like a ridiculous amount!
That is what is expected - I guess as he has lived in California for 60 of his 65 years and now owns bars in Laguna, Vegas and New Orleans he is better qualified than I to know what to tip

Megaflyer
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tracy34 View Post
The meal was $250... $20 is an insult...
I'd have chased him as well and give it him back for his cheek.
Wowsers
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I dreamed a dream
Unread 23 Aug 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We do tip at about 15% ish but I am getting so frustrated by the fact that if we go out for a nice meal I am expected to pay more than I actually earn an hour just for someone to bring my food and refill my drink maybe once.

We have never not tipped but it is getting to be ridiculous amounts! If someone chased me down the street because I had only given them $20 I would be shocked. How on earth much are they earning a night if each table gives this amount?

1995 Indian Ridge - 1998 Hamiltons Reserve
2000 Omni Rosen - 2005 Sequoia Lodge DLP
2007 West Stonebridge - 2009 Lake Wilson
2011/13/14 Town Centre - 2016/18/20 Windwood Bay

Edited at 11:17 AM.
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I saw that in LA last year when we were going into a good restaurant (Little door I think ?) a waitress was running after a Brit asking what was wrong as he only left 20% ! My LA friend was shocked - at the small tip rather yah. 25-30% he said locals tip - as a Brit I was shocked she was actually chasing the customer !

We still went in and had a fabulous meal and as I didnt pay now sure what John tipped ... but we didnt get chased lol
I always thought in California they had the minimum wage so a large tip wasn't as necessary , I'd have left 18-20% there and thought I was being kind
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Ive never understood why tipping is done in percentages

Dors the waiter/waitress do more work serving lobster and caviar in a Michelin starred restaurant than in a greasy spoons cafe ?
This bugs me too. We are using some of our wedding present money to go to the Fat Duck tomorrow night.

There is a 12.5% service charge, but that's going to equal a 120 tip. That is more in itself than we have ever spent on a meal for 2.

Don't get me wrong, I've budgeted it, and I will pay it, but I do feel it perhaps a little unfair.
Unread 23 Aug 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Very Serious Dibber

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We once got chased in New York when I was about 8.
We had a horrendous meal, won't bore with details, but the server was really rude. The manager comped some stuff for us too.

When it came to paying, we did so and didn't leave a tip.
The waiter followed us down the street 2 blocks to ask why we didn't leave him a tip!

It's incredibly rude.

As much as it's "custom to tip" and I'm a tipper, it is getting ridiculous. Servers are demanding more and more and in my opinion, the service is not the same standard that it used to be in FL. Disney included.

Check out www.fabulousfloridavillas.com
Taking bookings up to 2020

You can't get much closer to Disney than our villas.
Two 4-bedroom villas, with private pools hot tub & spa, Harry Potter, Disney's Frozen, Star Wars & Despicable Me themed bedrooms, games rooms and much much more!
Your dream vacation is just a few clicks away...
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Dreaming of a white (wine filled) Xmas!
Unread 23 Aug 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Really? If you had done that to me Id have taken the $20 tip back. Personally I would have tipped more but unless its a compulsory tip then everything should be accepted graciously and it would be bad mannered to confront a diner
Also, it wouldn't be legal to demand more. The law - and the IRS - makes it quite clear that the tip is voluntary. It is purely up to the customer how much they tip or even if they tip at all. Demanding that the customer tips a certain amount is not allowed.

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Ive never understood why tipping is done in percentages

Dors the waiter/waitress do more work serving lobster and caviar in a Michelin starred restaurant than in a greasy spoons cafe ?
Potentially, yes.

In theory, the server in a posh restaurant should have more skill and knowledge, offering their recommendations on which wine best accompanies that lobster and caviar, more insight into the ingredients and methods used to prepare this dish, and generally offering more of a service than that in a greasy spoon cafe. Just as the food is significantly better in the Michelin-starred restaurant, so is the service.

That's why a percentage was first suggested as a convenient and simple way to judge how much you should give. The more expensive the meal, the better class of service you'll probably receive, and hence the suggestion that you base the tip on a fraction of the meal cost.

It's a convenient rule-of-thumb. You're not meant to stick religiously to it. And, of course, you're supposed to adjust the amount you give depending on the actual service you receive.

In practice, I guess it depends on how much you use the experience and knowledge of your server. Many of us don't question our server about the dish, asking for their recommendations on which soup course goes best with the lobster, or which one of the many single malt whiskeys best compliments the caviar. So the service we receive tends to be mostly the same.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary trip to POFQ...
Unread 23 Aug 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Apprentice Imagineer

Holiday in Japan - they see tipping as an insult and you could not wish for more polite and helpful service.

Things seem to be getting out of hand in the USA.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Ocean Florida