Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less
Unread 25 Aug 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I was little bit like your daughter when I was that age.
I dont think I have anything on any spectrum.

I get the hiding the sweet packets. You need to see a gp about that as I am still doing this as an adult. Its very bad but I cant seem to stop.
I also had the puppy fat and same as someone else now a very big puppy.
I also remember going into the bathroom with a towel on ready for a shower, would run the shower and still not get in it.
Im saying this as these might not be abnormal but the setting the bed thing is a concern.

Hope you get this sorted for you
vampiress88 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Second Disney holiday!
Unread 25 Aug 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
di5ney
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

This totally sums up my now 17year old sister! 2 years ago she was finally diagnosed with aspergers. It explained a lot of her behaviours. She also has mental health issues and to this day wont fully accept she has it. My parents slightly regret getting the diagnosis now but it was the right thing at the time as additional things have been put in place at school etc. I know my parents had to push for it through the gp & school and cahms got involved too. Good luck, its a long difficult process! If u have any more questions etc get in touch
di5ney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Trip no.7
Unread 25 Aug 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tillyjcm View Post
Hi, first of all big hugs to you. My Dd is now 15 and has Aspergers, also has Dyspraxia and sensory issues. You could have almost been writing about her with the hygiene and clothing choices.

She hates the feeling of water/liquids to such an extent that personal hygiene is very challenging plus even getting her to drink enough fluids.

She started her periods at 11 and it has been a nightmare to make sure she changes her sanitary protection regularly (at the start I had to physically do this for her). Showering is another challenge, I will make a big issue of buying new shower products for myself knowing that shell want to try them first. She also has a thick towelling robe for when she gets out of shower as she doesnt like being uncovered and having to use a towel to dry herself.

She hasnt had the bed wetting but does wear Tena liners as she sometimes has daytime leaks, this is due to her bladder not working efficiently when she doesnt drink enough.

The clothing choices are another thing, she is constantly cold and layers up. She does take an interest in clothing but can be quite child like with her choices, such as Pokmon (which shes obsessed with).

We constantly change strategies with her and encourage her as much as possible. As a parent it has been a big learning curve understanding that she is not doing things to be stubborn but rather hygiene, drinking and personal appearance are not high in her priorities. Wouldnt change her for the world though.xx
You wrote an awful lot there that sounds like my daughter... Especially the pokemon... God how did I miss that in my post earlier, lilly obsessed too... she tries to get me into it but I've tried and can't muster up a fraction of her enthusiasm 😉
Megandllsmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Need something to look forward
Unread 25 Aug 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
You wrote an awful lot there that sounds like my daughter... Especially the pokemon... God how did I miss that in my post earlier, lilly obsessed too... she tries to get me into it but I've tried and can't muster up a fraction of her enthusiasm 😉
I know what you mean, she knows every character and their abilities, what they evolve into and every single episode. Shes literally like an encyclopaedia on the subject and always wants me to watch the movies and series. Its so hard going trying to match her enthusiasm as one episode is the same as the next.
Unread 25 Aug 19, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

Just had a quick run through what others have said.
After reading your post, the first thing that jumped out was Autism/ Aspergers.
Those that are in the know, have already outlined the similarities.
Hopefully knowing you are not alone, will help towards your feelings of being at a loss as how to help.
As others have said, girls are very clever in masking things, but the symptoms pop up.
I really hope you take comfort from others posts and knowing youre not alone and youre daughters not alone.

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Years of saving but it is so worth it.
Unread 25 Aug 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tillyjcm View Post
I know what you mean, she knows every character and their abilities, what they evolve into and every single episode. Shes literally like an encyclopaedia on the subject and always wants me to watch the movies and series. Its so hard going trying to match her enthusiasm as one episode is the same as the next.
Hehe lilly is exactly same, I dread to think how many boxes of cards she has or worse still how much has been spent on pokemon, I know pikachu and a few others so some of it must be sinking in somewhere, we are off away tomorrow for a few days she will be on pokemon go in new places so will love that x
Megandllsmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Need something to look forward
Unread 25 Aug 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mallky555
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My son is 13 he has ADHD and Aspergers all sounds very similar except my son only wets the bed when he is so overtired that he just doesnt wake up maybe twice a year? I was still showering him until 11 months ago🙈 I made him keep his underwear on 😆 he was only diagnosed at 10 and has finally turned a corner with personal hygiene teeth brushing was always a nightmare but not anymore.
Hes a loner and prefers the company of adults and is always obsessive over one thing or another x
I would go see your GP and start from there x
Good luck x
Mallky555 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Grove resort yet again :)
Unread 25 Aug 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Some of the hygiene issues can be related to sensory issues. My daughter really struggled with tooth brushing as the feel and taste are overwhelming for her. She has gotten better but she can't even stand being in the same room with someone else brushing their own teeth. It amazes me that she survived massive amounts of Orthodontic work and doesn't have fillings. When it was at it's worst we took her for professional cleanings every 3 months instead of trying to "force" her to do better. She has just graduated to 6 months again!