Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Sep 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Sky contract

Does anyone know if you can get a Sky contract for say 6 or 12 months under the current circumstances?

Our contract for tv, broadband and phone is up but we have no idea what could happen with jobs going forward at the moment.

So our monthly bill is about to go up a lot.

We think a 12 month contract we could manage, 18 months we would be worried about, as that’s a long way off in the current circumstances.

At the full package we have now we will be paying massively over what we could moving to a new contract. But a move to a new contract for 18 months during these uncertain times is worrying.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

They renewed mine this July for 12 months & kept the price the same which was a result as was going to go up by over £40
To add this is for TV Broadband & phone same as you with Netflix & Box sets Sky cinema & unlimited talk £54.50
Good luck 😀

Edited at 08:44 PM.
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Look at the NowTV offerings from Sky as they can be as short as monthly.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 20, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
Does anyone know if you can get a Sky contract for say 6 or 12 months under the current circumstances?
I don't know for sure and I'm not going to contradict Claire NJ.

If it's any help I have tried speaking to five different Sky Chat operatives, not for me, and not for my neighbour I've just sorted over the phone, another neighbour who can't use online or the phone but loves his Sky.

In addition to those I've asked every one at Sky I've dealt with recently if the contract can be twelve months. They all said no.

These were all for Sky Q only, not broadband, or mobile.

My reason for asking for a twelve month contract is to avoid the inevitable annual price increase.
Even when the wording IN BIG LETTERS states £29 per month for 18 months, the wording in small letters states that prices may increase during the contract period.

My way of getting around that is to insist on a twelve month contract but so far they have only offered eighteen months contracts.

Definitely worth trying though because different Sky operatives offer different things.

Edited at 11:30 PM.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post

If it's any help I have tried speaking to five different Sky Chat operatives, not for me, and not for my neighbour I've just sorted over the phone, another neighbour who can't use online or the phone but loves his Sky.

In addition to those I've asked every one at Sky I've dealt with recently if the contract can be twelve months. They all said no.

My reason for asking for a twelve month contract is to avoid the inevitable annual price increase.
Even when the wording IN BIG LETTERS states £29 per month for 18 months, the wording in small letters states that prices may increase during the contract period.

My way of getting around that is to insist on a twelve month contract but so far they have only offered eighteen months contracts.

Definitely worth trying though because different Sky operatives offer different things.
Here’s the proof I was shocked to get this email to say the least as I was all ready to battle on the phones to discuss & haggle for a new deal, so I was very lucky as didn’t even need to contact them
My original deal was 18 months from January 2019 & ended in July

Edited at 06:38 AM.
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Here’s the proof I was shocked to get this email to say the least as I was all ready to battle on the phones to discuss & haggle for a new deal, so I was very lucky as didn’t even need to contact them
I had the same a few months back,but friends havent the only difference between me and them is I always ring up to haggle price down at the end of the contract and they dont,it looks like you do the same maybe they only send it to those that haggle to stop us ringing them,it didnt work because I still rang up to haggle
britishgirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by britishgirl View Post
I had the same a few months back,but friends havent the only difference between me and them is I always ring up to haggle price down at the end of the contract and they dont,it looks like you do the same maybe they only send it to those that haggle to stop us ringing them,it didnt work because I still rang up to haggle
I haven't had that offer, but I do haggle.

I just think it's a shame there isn't a 12 month contract offer as well as an 18 month. Even if the 12 month contract was a little more monthly than an 18 month one. I'd go for a 12 month one. It's a lot of money monthly to commit to for 18 months in the current circumstances.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Not worth trying , a twelve month contract doesn’t exist for Sky TV whether HD or Q anymore.
Simple choice go for a monthly rolling contract with no discounts on the core products or an 18 month contract with discounts. Yes the annual once a year price rise around the 1st April comes into play but that’s capped at 10% maximum (most people’s rise is far less) anyway so if you were savvy with your offers in the first place then you’ll still be winning.

From my viewpoint Sky are canny and I’m not expecting rises to be at the full ten percent anyway , it’s all about market share and by April the effects of Covid will have bitten.
Don’t forget only some products are locked in to 18 months , add ons like Netflix, Kids etc can be on rolling monthly contract so can be removed .
Sky have been one of the less cynical companies towards both employees and customers during this year. I’m not expecting that to change.

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post

Edited at 10:20 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
I haven't had that offer, but I do haggle.

I just think it's a shame there isn't a 12 month contract offer as well as an 18 month. Even if the 12 month contract was a little more monthly than an 18 month one. I'd go for a 12 month one. It's a lot of money monthly to commit to for 18 months in the current circumstances.
They launched NowTV for that target audience who do not want a long term commitment. Much cheaper hardware which the sell rather than lease which makes it less of a risk for them with short term contracts.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Most people got similar offers as the company was very much focused on service (Keeping services working) rather than sales spring into summer and Sky didn’t want time spent haggling at the expense of customers who were having issues with services .
It appeared to work well. (I still had a crazy busy spring/summer even removing pressure to sell from my job remit... sales bonuses had no target but were paid based on three months prior so no pressure to sell whatsoever on the phones)

Edited at 10:30 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List