Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Wanye. Looking really good. That was some amount of spoil to move. People don't realise a cubic yard is 1 ton and it soon mounts up as you found out. Cannot beat the grabber removal. A Guy local to me is working 6 days a week removing spoil and is inundated with work. So much faster and cheaper than skips.
Great video and love the drone footage, gives a fantastic view which from ground level you just don't get.

Is the Aco drain feeding into the sewer or a soakaway? Going to be a lot of run off from that big an area.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 11:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Is the Aco drain feeding into the sewer or a soakaway? Going to be a lot of run off from the big an area.
theres two drains - the main one going right across the top is channeled into an existing drainhole. the one at the bottom of the ramp goes into an existing weephole in the exterior wall and onto the street (with a drain nearby)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Each to their own I guess...
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

it was a useless bit of garden that looked nice, but served no practical purpose. the only time it got ventured onto was to mow it (or go in the shed) - in 5 years of pre-lockdown parties, it only got used 3 times to sit on, and once for letting some fireworks off on bonfire night.

now i have ~120m sq of useable space that needs very little maintenance, and still loads of place to grow plants.A lot of that space being raised, so i can easily look after it, even when my back is playing up... the plants will almost all be edible, as well as lawn and garden space round the front/side of the house.

my mate jokes it looks like a prison exercise yard. i'm fine with that. and by this time next year, it will hopefully be finished and able to host parties of 30 or more people (once lockdown ends)

Edited at 02:09 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

also... in a few years time, if we need any extra space, or lockdown means we both end up WFH most of the time, the area where the shed is has potential to be converted into a brick structured office/workshop, i just need to extend the rest of the wall out to 8ft high (planning permission seems to focus on stuff that is 2.5m or higher, and buildings that have people actually living in, so i should hopefully be ok.

once the wall is built up, it just needs a front wall adding to it and a roof, and i'll probably repurpose our current patio doors for the building, and replace the house patio doors with bifold ones so the whole section can be opened up

but thats probably a few years off at least, i'm happy with just having a bigger shed i can do stuff in. because i got water installed, im planning on putting a sink in the cooking area next to the shed, and i can have enough room inside the shed to make homebrew. at the moment, im doing it in the garage, but i want to use that space as a proper workshop (i have a *massive* old workbench in there already, its just mostly covered in DIY stuff and homebrew bits and bobs. getting the booze out to the shed means all the expensive powertools are still kept in the garage (in the house), leaving just sugary liquids brewing in the shed (which should also be nice and warm in the summer months which will aid yeast growth!)

we're also hoping to have a couple of festival weekends at the house next summer... i've got a 2m x 2m rear projection screen, which will go in front of the open patio doors, then just move my projector behind the screen, so we can watch it from our new prison yard with an icy cold beer and a comfortable chair and also have friends over to watch the glasto coverage (or whichever festival it is)

so where the door are on the house here

will be a giant TV for watching the live shows!
Old 22 Sep 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

I’m really looking forward to seeing it all when it is finished. You have made a great start, I’ve enjoyed watching the videos. I hope the weather is good so you get to enjoy it a bit once you get your outdoor kitchen all sorted😊
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I hope I don’t come across as rude, but I’m intrigued, why is there a large space between the fencing and wall?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
SupersleuthTed
Excited about Disney

This is a picture of what we had built in out garden about two years ago now and it gets used loads and has lighting built into eating area and roof of building .

Always have guests over to enjoy the outside kitchen , feels like being on holiday!
Old 23 Sep 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
I hope I don’t come across as rude, but I’m intrigued, why is there a large space between the fencing and wall?
we didnt want the fence to collapse by digging out too near it, so left a gap. we are backfilling the retaining wall so the two houses bordering us (which are built up higher than us) dont get subsidence - shortly, it will be filled to ~3ft high with gravel/hardcore (for drainage) and then a couple of feet of topsoil put on to plant things in round the lower parts of the wall

it was either that, or stick a load of planters in front of the walls.

also, it gives the neighbours a bit of wiggle room to easily replace the fence when they decide to do that...
Old 23 Sep 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
we didnt want the fence to collapse by digging out too near it, so left a gap. we are backfilling the retaining wall so the two houses bordering us (which are built up higher than us) dont get subsidence - shortly, it will be filled to ~3ft high with gravel/hardcore (for drainage) and then a couple of feet of topsoil put on to plant things in round the lower parts of the wall

it was either that, or stick a load of planters in front of the walls.

also, it gives the neighbours a bit of wiggle room to easily replace the fence when they decide to do that...
Thanks for that. Sounds like you are very considerate neighbours.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List