Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jun 16, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Disney dream our 1st ever cruise.

As you can see by my heading i am taking my 12 year old daughter on the Disney dream july 2017 to end our Orlando holiday.
The park side of things has never been a issue as i am happy doing parks ..but this cruise is a different ball game, i have so many questions to ask but will start with a general question to get the ball rolling , what can i expect on this cruise with my Daughter what supervision do i need to give as she is a well behaved girl ..How do i not look like a lemon standing out from the crowd ... how much money do you need to get by with on the cruise. its the 3 day cruise i am doing ,
any advice ,tips or hints you found please let me know any does or do-nots feel free to say , i am a normal guy just looking to give my daughter a great holiday...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mrs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stevb63 View Post
As you can see by my heading i am taking my 12 year old daughter on the Disney dream july 2017 to end our Orlando holiday.
The park side of things has never been a issue as i am happy doing parks ..but this cruise is a different ball game, i have so many questions to ask but will start with a general question to get the ball rolling , what can i expect on this cruise with my Daughter what supervision do i need to give as she is a well behaved girl ..How do i not look like a lemon standing out from the crowd ... how much money do you need to get by with on the cruise. its the 3 day cruise i am doing ,
any advice ,tips or hints you found please let me know any does or do-nots feel free to say , i am a normal guy just looking to give my daughter a great holiday...
Hello

We went for the first time last year on our first Disney Cruise. Also a 3 night cruise. I don't have children so cant answer fully however there are clubs for children where I believe they are signed in and then signed out again so you can be sure she is safe.

In regards to general supervision, is she is a sensible girl then you can almost let her get on with things just like in the parks, be on deck when she in the pool but you can read a book etc. It is ever so child friendly, however if you intend to get off at Nassau then I would suggest keeping her close as there are vendors and taxi drivers touting for business and it can get very crowded. On Castaway Cay there is a family section and a adult only, I am sure you are sensible so just keep an eye on her in the sea etc, but again you can be on a lounger watching her.

I am not sure what you mean about standing out like a lemon, everyone is busy enjoying their cruise and you will be too

Regarding money, you will need to pay for tips which I believe is about $12 a day all in (cant remember off the top of my head but bats will be along to confirm the amount) you will probably want to give more as they are epic! You can also take gifts (chewing gum, sweets) for the kids club guys who watch over your children.

If you do not intend to drink alcohol then you are pretty much covered, apart from any gifts you might want and anything you purchase at Nassau or any port adventures you partake in.

There is so much to see and do and on a 3 night cruise you'll have a blast.

Anything else please feel free to ask.

DLP 2002 & 2010
WDW 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2022, 2023 (solo trip) & 2024
Mickeys Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi we went on the Disney dream in 2010 - my daughter was 8 and my son was 9 so they were younger than your daughter but I thought I would try and advise.
Both of mine tried (and loved!) the kids club. It was huge and there was loads to do. They are 'tracked' while they are in there - when we went to pick them up the girl at the desk looked at her computer and told us the exact table were my daughter was and told us she was making cookies! She told us that my son was on the computers and the exact station where he was sitting!
We only got off at Nassau for less than an hour. Me and DH had been before and there was nothing there that the kids wanted to see/do. We had a quick walk around the market and shops so they could buy a few souvenirs. We then got back on the boat which was relatively empty and they were able to ride the Aquaduck a few times and explore the boat freely.
We all loved Castaway and did the water cycling things and the kids snorkelled. We stayed together all day there and I wouldn't recommend letting your DH wander alone - its too busy!
We all did the family bingo a couple of times and the kids loved it.
My daughter had a couple of hours at the spa to do the girls ice cream mani/pedi. There were about 10/12 young girls all sitting in a room getting pampered and eating ice cream - I cant remember the details or price but its worth having a look at.
You wil have wave phone in your rooms so you can keep in touch at all times.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
pubguv
Proud to wear my Ears

disney dream

Hi my daughter was 10 when we did the 3 day cruise she was ok in the club but she felt it was a little too young for her. She wanted to go to the older club but there is no sign in and ou tso we did not let her go this year she is 12 and will be going to the older club although I am a bit nervous about then going on aquaduck and doing other things around the ship without us. She had her nails done on sail away day it cost about $80 then but she missed the party on deck but she did have a good time but would not do it again.hope this helps
pubguv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 16, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post

many thanks for all the info i have taken it in and will use it ,anyone else that wold like to share what they done please feel free to do so.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Firstly please read the sticky by Bats at the top of this forum, all of ti!
She has given a great deal of info to get you started.
It will be a lovely experience for you both, I am assuming from your post you are travelling just Dad and daughter? If so may I suggest asking to joining the FBook group for your cruise dat, if you do FB?nTy
E in something like Disney Magic date and month 3 night Bahamian cruise. You will need to request to join as they are private. There are also some general FB dedicated cruise groups, just star pt a search... Disney Cruising...
You can get to know some of your fellow cruisers, maybe even decide to link reservations and sit with some other cruisers? It may not be your thing but we are cruising this year with the same family we linked with last time! They will otherwise probably sit you at dinner with other families with kids your daughters age.
In the group's they try and sort meet and greets so you find some friendly faces around the ship.
With a three day you do just about get to know the ship and you are off so I would just make sure you read the Navigator together every night and select a few things you can do, there are lots of great family activities.
CCAy is easy and just a great beach, snorkelling and tubes if you want them.Bliss!
The kids club varies for the child, most love them but some don't and I am not sure how much time you want her to spend there? However you must go to the open house together on the first day so she can she all the fun things but beware, you may then not see her at all if she likes it enough, lol. If you want some alone time when she is in the clubs you will not be out of place in the sports bar or Cove Cafe as many people go there as single travellers or away from their partners, I have friends whose husband never sits in the sun and he loved those two place and made lots of cruise friends.
This website has lots of previous navigators to show the activities that go on and may help you narrow stuff down befor you cruise, but don't do too much in three days.
disneycruiselineblog/
Re money you need to cover the mandatory tips for your servers and room host, and you can give more. See the sticky. So you will need souvenir money, alcoholic drink money and tip money.
You will also need to be careful as almost everything food and no alcoholic drink wise is free but some strange items are not- soda in room service,special coffees, popcorn for the movie theatre...
Hope this helps?
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 16, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread