Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jun 16, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Accessibility on Disney Dream

Hoping to do a disney cruise next year and my sister who is in a wheelchair will hopefully come along with us.

What is it like on board the disney dream for guests in wheelchairs?

Do they have a hoist to help you get in and out of swimming pool?

Do they have roll in shower chairs or is it only the wall mounted seats?

Is Nassau wheelchair friendly?

how hard is it to get a beach wheelchair at Castaway Cay?

Hope someone can help
Old 9 Jun 16, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

I can't help with the Dream but the Magic was very wheelchair friendly. We had an accessible cabin with roll in shower and seat, delay opening doors and extra large balcony.

I don't know about pool hoists I'm afraid. The only negative we found were the crowded elevators, we had to wait quite a while for them.
Old 9 Jun 16, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by smythy21 View Post
Hoping to do a disney cruise next year and my sister who is in a wheelchair will hopefully come along with us.

What is it like on board the disney dream for guests in wheelchairs?

Do they have a hoist to help you get in and out of swimming pool?

Do they have roll in shower chairs or is it only the wall mounted seats?

Is Nassau wheelchair friendly?

how hard is it to get a beach wheelchair at Castaway Cay?

Hope someone can help
If you can wait 3 months I'll let you know. We're doing it in mid September. We've booked an accessible cabin but overall it's a bit of a trial for us to see if we can cope with my son on a ship. We figure if it doesn't work out on a Disney ship it's unlikely to work on any other. We have gone concierge level - for the extra space and so we could get the only accessible cabana on CC.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 16, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Twiggy1953 View Post
If you can wait 3 months I'll let you know. We're doing it in mid September. We've booked an accessible cabin but overall it's a bit of a trial for us to see if we can cope with my son on a ship. We figure if it doesn't work out on a Disney ship it's unlikely to work on any other. We have gone concierge level - for the extra space and so we could get the only accessible cabana on CC.
that would be great if you cud let us know.. we went with RCL about 6years ago and they what was accessible on board. did find it difficult to get a beach wheelchair for her
Old 11 Jun 16, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Mobile

Easy to get beach wheelchairs on CC.
For the lifts, I would concur with Caron, but I have been known to ask people if they really HAVE to use the lift or if they could use the stairs. I do this if there's people with buggies or wheelchairs waiting! I have no shame I'm afraid, but it does shame them into getting out of the lift.
If you use the forward or aft lifts, it's better than the mid ship ones.

Try to book 9670 on the Dream or one of those at the back. Big balconies, roll in wet rooms, wardrobes with pull down rails and self opening doors too (9670 does not have the special door but is wide).
Old 13 Jun 16, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
CK's other half
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I'm not in a wheelchair, but from what I can remember, the dream is very wheelchair friendly as there were a copious amounts of electric wheelchairs, and plenty of ramps to get everywhere.
As far as the lifts are concerned, there is a bank of 6 lifts in the middle of the ship, and the only time there seemed to be a rush for them was around evening meal times. Personally, if I saw someone, I would move and let them go in first, but that's me, but just ask them to move and if they don't, and all else fails, run over their foot 😄 they'll soon shift. But seriously, there seemed to be a lot more happier people and helpful people, guests, on board than what there is in the parks.
Plus don't forget, we're talking Disney 😄😄😄
CK's other half is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 16, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
orpin
Excited about Disney

We came off our first Disney cruise in May, 4 nights on the Wonder. As others have said the lifts were a problem and very frustrating but we had no problems onboard with anything else.
Castaway Cay was fine and they had a beach wheelchair waiting for us.

What we were disappointed with was all trips on Nassau had no accessible transport which I did complain about when I rang to book them, you don't expect that when Disney are involved.
We had to pay £164.00 for a private car hire to take us on a private 4 hour tour of the island in a wheelchair accessible van, unfortunately 1 hour into the tour both myself and husband started to feel ill, we had to go back to the ship. We ended up with 143 other guests coming down with the Norovirus... not a good experience!
I didn't see the transport other guests had, maybe they were small buses but I really do feel Disney should provide a vehicle on the island to transport guests in wheelchairs.

Edited at 07:54 PM.
orpin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 16, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by orpin View Post
We came off our first Disney cruise in May, 4 nights on the Wonder. As others have said the lifts were a problem and very frustrating but we had no problems onboard with anything else.
Castaway Cay was fine and they had a beach wheelchair waiting for us.

What we were disappointed with was all trips on Nassau had no accessible transport which I did complain about when I rang to book them, you don't expect that when Disney are involved.
We had to pay £164.00 for a private car hire to take us on a private 4 hour tour of the island in a wheelchair accessible van, unfortunately 1 hour into the tour both myself and husband started to feel ill, we had to go back to the ship. We ended up with 143 other guests coming down with the Norovirus... not a good experience!
I didn't see the transport other guests had, maybe they were small buses but I really do feel Disney should provide a vehicle on the island to transport guests in wheelchairs.
All the trips from our 14 night WBTA in 2014 were not suitable for wheelchair users. Very disappointing.
Old 18 Jun 16, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
orpin
Excited about Disney

I don't know how they get away with it, do you?
It excludes us from onshore trips unless we want to pay extra, which seems unfair in this day and age.
orpin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 16, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread