Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jul 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Chelsea_Girl
Earning More Ears

Cat owners - best buys / don't buys? Pics now on P5

I'm adopting a Mum cat along with her only surviving kitten I helped save last week - she was hiding in a very small space behind a drainpipe in the pouring rain. The kitten is about 5 weeks now so they need to stay at the rescue centre until the baby is weaned.
I have to buy absolutely everything new for them as I gave away all my previous cats belongings when I sadly lost her last year.
I know from experience they will choose a cardboard box over a fancy expensive bed but please will you share what your cat loves and and couldn't be without, and what has been a total waste of money. They will have to be kept inside for the first few months so particularly interested in keeping litter smells to the minimum.

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Chelsea_Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
laura
Imagineer

hi, what a lovely thing you have done, I'm sure no matter what you get them they will be both loved, I have two older cats now and of all the things I have bought them, beds, scratch posts, toys etc, the things they love most is a pouffee I bought to rest my feet on, they have commandeered it to sleep on , also one of my cats loves the tiny material mice to play with, wasted money buying a good cat bed with hood, they love to sleep on my bed, I guess all cats are different though and it will be trial and error to see what they like, I also used catsan cat litter but now use Bob Martin as it's cheaper and just as good, £2:49 for 5 litres at b&m stores, hopefully you will find the right things for your cats when you get them

Ps sorry not much help
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Eric uses Catsan white cat litter and Bob Martin's Litter Freshner which is like a scented talc that blocks odours.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I echo the cardboard box for a bed . We have 3 cats and all despite buying beds, sleeping tents , radiator hamocks have much preferred cardboard boxes !

Tartan Tink
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
candycat75
Imagineer

candycat75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would definitely buy a scratching post!
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

a cheap blanket/throw - I get them in primark. Good for putting on your lap for a cuddle and easy to put into the washing machine. My cat also took a fancy to sleeping on our sofa for a bit and the blanket saved the sofa!

Edited at 10:16 PM.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sunsetlakes
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We have a part feral rescue cat who is now 16 years old. He is happy to be in the house in the day but at night he likes to go out. We used to have a childrens shed/wendy house that he sheltered in at night but when the kids left home so did the wendy house. We thought about putting in a cat flap but it would have cost a fortune as we would have had to have a new panel put into the conservatory and then through a wall or sliding door, we thought about a new wendy house just for the cat and then after lots of research managed to find a cat house - a bit like a dog kennel but with a cosy bed section - it was the best thing we have ever got him - he loves it and it means he can still go out on the tiles at night. Good luck with your new "family" members they sound like they have found a lovely home x
sunsetlakes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve.S
Imagineer

Steve.S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi we got 2 kittens 8 months ago,we use the wood pellets in there cat tray,B&M sell it at £6 for a 30L bag,we bag the poo as soon as one of them does their biz and a blast of febreeze sorts it out,Hamish and Daisy are currently on cat flap training lol.

Edited at 10:38 PM.
Steve.S is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Minicooper
Imagineer

Cats do love a box the only other thing I would suggest is a good scratching post
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Chelsea_Girl
Earning More Ears

Thank you all, great advice - and what lovely pics of your fur babies too.
I hadn't planned on getting another cat just yet, let alone two - but sort of feel they chose me and I couldn't possibly split them up. The kitten is the absolute image of my previous cat so must have been fate. Have to be patient for about 3 weeks yet before my life is turned upside down!
Chelsea_Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List