Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > General Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 23 Dec 18, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
#21
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Hi Abby, we find ourselves unexpectedly spending a day and a half in Berlin in January so I had a quick look for trip reports and yours was the first I found!
Obviously we won't have much time so I wondered what you would consider the absolute must sees and, importantly, where we must eat. We'll be staying near Potsdammer Platz.
Great report, thank you for sharing.
If you've only got a short stay and are near Potsdamer Platz then I would eat at the Lindenbrau restaurant. You can look the menu up online. It's traditional Bavarian food and it was great. The restaurant is on three floors (actually it may be more than that).

Although our favourite was Maximillians but that will be a little bit more of a walk back to your hotel after the meal. We really enjoyed it and went back there for our last meal.

For the must sees. I would head to the Holocaust Memorial from your hotel it will only be a 5 to 10 minute walk. Then you can walk to the Brandenburg Gate and through it to the main road which goes over the river to the Eastern side of Berlin. This will be about a 30 minute walk, or you could use the metro. If you walk then you will pass lots of the museums, squares and the Humboldt university which are all quite interesting even if you don't go inside them.

When you get to the river you could then go to Alexanderplatz which has the World Clock and is the place where the East Berliners gathered to protest the old regime just before the wall came down.

Alternatively, instead of walking in the city you could head into the park after visiting the memorial and Brandenburg Gate and make your way to Victory column which is sort of central in the park. The view from the top is amazing (so I'm told, I was a bit scared up there after climbing the stairs and didn't enjoy it as much as the others).

If you have time the following day then I would head out in the opposite direction to the Topography of terrors which is a free museum about how Hitler came to power and the Holocaust and is built on the site of the old SS headquarters. There are sections of the Berlin wall still standing on the site and this is really close to check
point Charlie.

Of course, you should try to spot as many bears as you can! I hope you have a lovely trip.
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
#22
hornetgirl
VIP Dibber
 
hornetgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 12
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
If you've only got a short stay and are near Potsdamer Platz then I would eat at the Lindenbrau restaurant. You can look the menu up online. It's traditional Bavarian food and it was great. The restaurant is on three floors (actually it may be more than that).

Although our favourite was Maximillians but that will be a little bit more of a walk back to your hotel after the meal. We really enjoyed it and went back there for our last meal.

For the must sees. I would head to the Holocaust Memorial from your hotel it will only be a 5 to 10 minute walk. Then you can walk to the Brandenburg Gate and through it to the main road which goes over the river to the Eastern side of Berlin. This will be about a 30 minute walk, or you could use the metro. If you walk then you will pass lots of the museums, squares and the Humboldt university which are all quite interesting even if you don't go inside them.

When you get to the river you could then go to Alexanderplatz which has the World Clock and is the place where the East Berliners gathered to protest the old regime just before the wall came down.

Alternatively, instead of walking in the city you could head into the park after visiting the memorial and Brandenburg Gate and make your way to Victory column which is sort of central in the park. The view from the top is amazing (so I'm told, I was a bit scared up there after climbing the stairs and didn't enjoy it as much as the others).

If you have time the following day then I would head out in the opposite direction to the Topography of terrors which is a free museum about how Hitler came to power and the Holocaust and is built on the site of the old SS headquarters. There are sections of the Berlin wall still standing on the site and this is really close to check
point Charlie.

Of course, you should try to spot as many bears as you can! I hope you have a lovely trip.
That's fabulous, thank you so much.
Bear spotting will obviously be on the agenda
__________________
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Yacht Club...ahoy there
Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
#23
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Cazzius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 16
What a nice way to spend your last day, doing the highlights from earlier on in the trip

The park that Max chose does look like a lot of fun, especially the obstacle course.

I am glad that you had a good lunch in Maximilians, I always hope that places I recommend work out for people, especially if I haven't been for a while. Everything you had there looked yummy.

A shame about the bumpy flight home but at least you weren't delayed.

How exciting that you already have a few more trips on the agenda. I went to Washington DC recently for work, and before that as I surprised the BF with a trip for his 30th birthday, so I might have some recommendations if you would like them

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us, it really made me want to go back to Berlin.
__________________
Have Courage & Be Kind

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Yacht Clubbing
Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
#24
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
What a nice way to spend your last day, doing the highlights from earlier on in the trip

The park that Max chose does look like a lot of fun, especially the obstacle course.

I am glad that you had a good lunch in Maximilians, I always hope that places I recommend work out for people, especially if I haven't been for a while. Everything you had there looked yummy.

A shame about the bumpy flight home but at least you weren't delayed.

How exciting that you already have a few more trips on the agenda. I went to Washington DC recently for work, and before that as I surprised the BF with a trip for his 30th birthday, so I might have some recommendations if you would like them

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us, it really made me want to go back to Berlin.
We all enjoyed doing our highlights tour for the last day.

The pavement trampolines were such a silly little thing, but Kate was very keen to go back.

Maximillians was great to return to for our last meal. I was really surprised at how inexpensive Berlin was, compared to London where everything seems so pricey.

I can't seem to help myself with planning more trips. This year we have a lot of exciting holidays lined up. Kate and me are off to DLP in February for 4 nights. Then we have Orlando again with my parents this time, so that will be really exciting, I hope they love it. Then at the end of August we are going to Morzine in the Alps on a big family trip with my parents and my brothers and their families. Finally we are doing a trip to Washington DC in October so any tips you have will be gratefully received.
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
#25
mitch-fishguard
Excited about Disney
 
Join Date: Dec 15
Location: Fishguard
Great read. I worked "Auf Weidersehen Pet" style in Berlin in the mid 90s building a site in Werder near an East German barracks just outside the city. I took nothing in and am kicking myself as I type that Berlin was so great as described by you. Leander wants me to take her and your report has convinced me to do it !
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Who needs Thomas Cook, Im off to Disney,
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
#26
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by mitch-fishguard View Post
Great read. I worked "Auf Weidersehen Pet" style in Berlin in the mid 90s building a site in Werder near an East German barracks just outside the city. I took nothing in and am kicking myself as I type that Berlin was so great as described by you. Leander wants me to take her and your report has convinced me to do it !
I just picture you as Jimmy Nail or Timothy Spall!

We really enjoyed Berlin, it was a laid back city but with lots to see, some lovely food and you can't go wrong when they are serving beer in those big 1 litre glasses. I hope you and Leander enjoy your trip.
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
#27
mitch-fishguard
Excited about Disney
 
Join Date: Dec 15
Location: Fishguard
I was Oz, trust me I lived on Grossen Bieres, not Kleine Beers. Seeing Daves big smile when he had one in front of him brought it all back
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Who needs Thomas Cook, Im off to Disney,
Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
#28
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by mitch-fishguard View Post
I was Oz, trust me I lived on Grossen Bieres, not Kleine Beers. Seeing Daves big smile when he had one in front of him brought it all back
I'm glad it brought back memories for you.
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
#29
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber
 
pinkstargirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 11
Location: West London
Really enjoyed your report, I've just booked myself a few nights in Berlin for June so I've got some good ideas from your report!
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Fingers crossed for DLP!
Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 19, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
#30
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

Originally Posted by pinkstargirl View Post
Really enjoyed your report, I've just booked myself a few nights in Berlin for June so I've got some good ideas from your report!
It was a beautiful city. I hope you enjoy your break.
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Disney Trivia
On 4th June 2020
There are many Disney rides and attractions that are based on films but did you... Read More »
Posted in Walt Disney World
On 3rd June 2020
I was lucky enough to have experienced the 27th EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival... Read More »
Posted in Walt Disney World
On 2nd June 2020
Disney’s Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios allows guests to step in to Andy’s... Read More »


theDIBB Menu

KLOOK

US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2453
Covent Garden FX  $1.2412
M&S  $1.2294
Sainsburys  $1.2383
TESCO  $1.2212
Travelex  $1.2336
Updated: 01:00 07/06/2020

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits...

Upgrade Now


Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1015
Covent Garden FX  €1.0993
M&S  €1.0878
Sainsburys  €1.0962
TESCO  €1.0804
Travelex  €1.0845
Updated: 01:00 07/06/2020