Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Porsche 911 996 or 997

Mid life crisis here, I have agreed not to buy another bike but thinking of buying a 911 instead.

I have already decided I don’t want tiptronic but can’t decide if I should pay the extra for the 997 I get the lights look way better and that there have been problems with the water cooling on the 996’s but can anyone give any other pros and cons please ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

As most regard the 996 mechanicals as poor then the 997 becomes a no brainer,if that's your 2.
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
As most regard the 996 mechanicals as poor then the 997 becomes a no brainer,if that's your 2.
It’s a folly I intend to do around 5k a year in the summer, I need the back seats and something that I can drive without too much difficulty.

The 996 is cheaper in part for being a bit older which is the only appeal of the 996 over the 997 it’s just trying to work out what that is worth.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

or save a buck load of cash and pre order the Ducati V4 street fighter.
The logical mid point is a Cayman having driven the S and a 911 I know where my cash if I had it spare would go.
Yep the Ducati no the Cayman.
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Tesla model s p85d ? Just my honest opinion.

Oooo and no ims bearing to worry about😎

Edited at 11:56 PM.
colin39 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Go for a post ‘08 (so a 997.2) and you won’t need to worry about IMS failure. Bore scoring won’t be an issue either.

Like you I prefer looks of the 997.

Go to an indie garage and try one of each?
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 05:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
or save a buck load of cash and pre order the Ducati V4 street fighter.
The logical mid point is a Cayman having driven the S and a 911 I know where my cash if I had it spare would go.
Yep the Ducati no the Cayman.
Cayman has no rear seats otherwise that would be obvious choice
Old 15 Jun 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’d agree with a Tesla. Like a different world to ICE cars. I’ll never go back.
Old 15 Jun 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

One of my friends has a Tesla he is a really tall guy and loves it he has said if he could have any car money no object it would be a Tesla though he had his first one stolen off of his drive.

I can’t afford a Tesla sadly and I want a Summer car that does. It have to be sensible and I want a soft top.i expect this car to live half the year in the garage
Old 15 Jun 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
One of my friends has a Tesla he is a really tall guy and loves it he has said if he could have any car money no object it would be a Tesla though he had his first one stolen off of his drive.

I can’t afford a Tesla sadly and I want a Summer car that does. It have to be sensible and I want a soft top.i expect this car to live half the year in the garage
They have pin to drive now, which I have on all the time, so even with the keys, they cannot drive it.
Look at second hand ones, I saw an S with only 17000 miles on it on Tesla owners club yesterday for under 40k. No petrol to pay for, no tax, and that one may have had lifetime supercharging for free. No service to have now either.