Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Aug 18, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile Keeping children entertained on a flight

After reading the what annoys people on a flight thread, I’m worried my children will be the cause of the next thread! Trying everything in my power to stop this.
They are 4 and 7, the do sometimes bicker, my son is super quiet, very shy and nervous. Give him an iPad and he will be fine.My daughter is nt. She’s excitable, bubbly, enthusiastic. Thanks to the joys of autism she has no filter. She hates certain smells. She says what she thinks, loudly. She likes to be entertained. She’s awesome but she’s exhausting. She will watch iPad and IFE. I ve packed colouring stuff/smiggle scratchy thing, her to trumps, Fidget spinner, note book and a comic (son will have the same) I will pack snacks and some sweets. We will obviously chat.
Any other top tips for flying.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
vickyventurini
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Ours are 8 and 10 , they usually behave but there can be moments when they are near each other . We are going to split up on the plane (we’ll just across the aisle from each other) this year and take one each , it makes things a lot easier!
vickyventurini is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
a11mark
Imagineer

a11mark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
If your concerned about the people becoming annoyed, have you looked into making a goodie bag for the people seated around you (sweets, chocolate, earplugs and a little explanation)

Example

It might help people become less annoyed and more understanding. I'm sure you'll do your best to keep them entertained, but their kids on a 7+ hour flight. I completely understand, how excited, board and how much they just want to get of the plane and go see Mickey .
Old 2 Aug 18, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
After reading the what annoys people on a flight thread, I’m worried my children will be the cause of the next thread! Trying everything in my power to stop this.
They are 4 and 7, the do sometimes bicker, my son is super quiet, very shy and nervous. Give him an iPad and he will be fine.My daughter is nt. She’s excitable, bubbly, enthusiastic. Thanks to the joys of autism she has no filter. She hates certain smells. She says what she thinks, loudly. She likes to be entertained. She’s awesome but she’s exhausting. She will watch iPad and IFE. I ve packed colouring stuff/smiggle scratchy thing, her to trumps, Fidget spinner, note book and a comic (son will have the same) I will pack snacks and some sweets. We will obviously chat.
Any other top tips for flying.
Morning TC, don't sweat it , it will spoil your holiday build up. As you know my daughter also has autism but she amazes me how well she copes on a plane, she's better than me , you sound well prepared we do exactly the same for Lilly and it does work, I let her pick a book or comic at airport too... a comic usually comes with a bit of free tat that if you are lucky will survive the flight , it's an extra distraction tool lol... only issue on a flight with my daughter us her ears, she used to scream the plane down but now we use a menthol cup cabin crew are happy to help with ... warm paper towel in a cup with olbas oil or karvol sprinkled on it for her to breath on, really helps with a piece of chewing gum... she still gets anxious cos she knows it's gonna happen but no screaming now... then again lots of kiddies on a summer holiday flight suffer with their ears bless em.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I never get why people get worked up about kids on a plane to Orlando. Kind of to be expected that you will encounter kids no? I know why people get annoyed at parents that aren't bothered but in my experience most are understanding that kids have off moments especially on a long flight. You sound like you are doing everything you can and my eldest is much like your daughter. Way back on a night flight was difficult but managed it with the right combination of electronics, puzzle books and maybe one rather serious talking to after he woke up his toddler brother😋
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Morning TC, don't sweat it , it will spoil your holiday build up. As you know my daughter also has autism but she amazes me how well she copes on a plane, she's better than me , you sound well prepared we do exactly the same for Lilly and it does work, I let her pick a book or comic at airport too... a comic usually comes with a bit of free tat that if you are lucky will survive the flight , it's an extra distraction tool lol... only issue on a flight with my daughter us her ears, she used to scream the plane down but now we use a menthol cup cabin crew are happy to help with ... warm paper towel in a cup with olbas oil or karvol sprinkled on it for her to breath on, really helps with a piece of chewing gum... she still gets anxious cos she knows it's gonna happen but no screaming now... then again lots of kiddies on a summer holiday flight suffer with their ears bless em.
I’m trying not to worry but I hate the death stares you get. She’s not naughty but sometimes people think she is naughty.
She’s been so over excited this week. We ve cancelled all plans for the rest of the week to calm things.
Hoping their ears will be ok. Think it will be my son that suffers with his ears if it does happen.
I’m sure they will both pick the most expensive plastic tat filled comic in Smiths! X
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Gav
slightly serious Dibber

I wouldn't bother about it. As the above post says - if you're going to Orlando - expect kids on the flight. I can get annoyed if a kid (or adult) sits and kicks the back of my seat and the parent says nothing about it as they are too involved in themselves, but apart from that, knock yourself out.

Headphones solve noise and I never feel its THAT long a flight anyway.
Gav is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
tikka234
Imagineer

We went with 2x4 year old last time they were fine we took loads for them to do they hardly touched them. They done bit colouring didn't have ipads did watch some films,
This time not taking half as much, let them watch a film have a little play, time soon passes. There will be lots of kids on the plane we had a baby crying a lot last time felt for the parents trying to comfort him, nobody seem to mind.

Enjoy your holiday nearly here
Old 2 Aug 18, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Showa321
Helping Mickey

I think people who do not have kids are the ones who get worked up over kids on a plane.
I spend my life flying somewhere or an other and it really never bothers me.

Last time we flew to Florida there was a mother on her own with 2 kids, one was a little difficult and the daughter, who was about 4 was great. We kinda took the pressure off the mother and my daughter kept her occupied the flight, well we all did. The little girl was upset when we had to say goodbye!
Just takes a little understanding and its people going to Florida at the end of the day, there is going to be ALOT of excited kids.
Don't worry about it. D/load a few movies and when they don't do that then come up with a few games. Its amazing what a pack of playing cards can do. Even snap.
Enjoy!
Showa321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
I’m trying not to worry but I hate the death stares you get. She’s not naughty but sometimes people think she is naughty.
She’s been so over excited this week. We ve cancelled all plans for the rest of the week to calm things.
Hoping their ears will be ok. Think it will be my son that suffers with his ears if it does happen.
I’m sure they will both pick the most expensive plastic tat filled comic in Smiths! X
It's the stares get to me too, even now sometimes, I'm always grateful though it goes over my daughters head she's oblivious most times, a couple of calm days leading up to your holiday sounds a good plan, have a fantastic time and let us know how it all went, I can honestly say with everything to see and do on holidays my daughter copes amazingly well... Maybe we should have year long holidays... If only 😉x
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List