Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Sep 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
robbrdbry
slightly serious Dibber

Car Seat recommendations

I've just done a fairly decent search but haven't really found a decent thread for what I'm looking for.

We'll be doing our first trip with our first child next September and she'll be 14 months. We'll be staying on Disney property for the full stay and I don't think i'm going to bother renting a car so i'm wondering if it's worth taking our own car seat as we'll be using an uber or some sort of cab for airport transfer to the Poly and maybe the odd uber to either universal or a mall once or twice but that's probably it.

And if people do recommend one, what's a budget friendly recommendation and also what pushchairs would people recommend that are also budget friendly but easy to take on a plane/pack etc or just general advice on the matter?

Thank you!

(i've editing thread title to reflect the advice)

Edited at 09:59 AM. Reason: Thread question partially answered.
robbrdbry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
dopey.rules
Imagineer

dopey.rules's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 10
Theme Park Ohana do pushchair hire, find them on YouTube xx

Disney Wilderness Lodge May 2022
Disney Saratoga Springs Jan 2018
Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge Nov 2015
Disney POR Apr 2014
dopey.rules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Woohoobb
Excited about Disney

We have a cosatto woosh. It’s super light, folds down tiny and is easy to get under the seats on the bus or held in hand.
I usually throw a rope clip around it and wear it like a bag. The bright colours are super useful for finding in a sea of strollers as it’s not a brand out there! I learnt real fast after taking a black one the first time and having to carry a 6 month old for 30 mins while I hunted for it!
Also fully reclines. I still use it for my about to be 5 year old for parks because it’s so convenient!
Woohoobb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
robbrdbry
slightly serious Dibber

thanks guys, I spent a good while on youtube last night and found some very good stroller/pushchair candidates.

The real issue here seems to be car seats that's harder to plan.
robbrdbry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't have kids but I would say staying onsite without a car, I wouldn't bother with taking your own car seat. You can book Ubers with car seats and for the airport, consider Mears Connect (the Magical Express replacement) instead.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
robbrdbry
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I don't have kids but I would say staying onsite without a car, I wouldn't bother with taking your own car seat. You can book Ubers with car seats and for the airport, consider Mears Connect (the Magical Express replacement) instead.
I've been wondering how plentiful ubers with car seats are? As i'm thinking this could be the cheapest/less bulky option but obviously I wouldn't want to get caught out without one. Especially as now we'd likely use an uber for the transfer to the hotel.
Old 6 Sep 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by robbrdbry View Post
I've been wondering how plentiful ubers with car seats are? As i'm thinking this could be the cheapest/less bulky option but obviously I wouldn't want to get caught out without one. Especially as now we'd likely use an uber for the transfer to the hotel.
I think the issue with bringing your own car seat for Uber though is you won't have any guarantee that it will fit and can be installed properly into the car. It would be different with a hire car because you're booking a minimum size so would have a rough idea, but you have no idea what vehicles are available in Uber and which you'll get until you have your ride accepted.

I'd rather wait a little longer for a car seat fitted Uber than lug one with me and then potentially have issues with it.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
G82
Trying for More Ears

If you did want to take your own car seat there are special bags you can buy from Amazon or eBay to transport them. We rent a car so we take ours with us in one of these bags (about £15-£20 to buy) and the airlines carry it for free as an oversize item. The bag has straps so you wear it like a back pack.
G82 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

I researched car seats a few months back, as we’ve just had our little one.

It was my understanding that any U.K one is technically illegal to use out in the USA. My concern on this was insurance if there was an accident.

We plan on click and collecting one at Walmart straight from the airport when we finally get out there. Using a cheap used one from here for that journey and binning it after Walmart.
We go to the states a lot in normal times, so we have no issues with buying one just to take out there.

For a stroller we’ve gone for a yo-yo to take on holidays.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 01:53 AM  
Link to this Post
martyn321
Very Serious Dibber

Hi, not trying to be difficult, but what do you intend to do with the car seat once youve got to universal etc?
martyn321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List