Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Sep 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Trip itinerary, thoughts please

So we are finally ready to book flights to the west coast for next year, and wanted some opinions on our route, it originally included Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon but I’ve decided to leave those for another trip, this is what I’m thinking of
Fly into San Francisco - 3 nights
4th day pick up hire car and drive to Yosemite - 3 nights, drive back to coast, Monterey - 2 nights, Santa Barbara 1 night, LA 3 nights, San Diego 3 nights, Anaheim 3 nights, fly home from LA
The only bit I’m unsure off is the doubling back on ourselves from Yosemite but I don’t know how else to do it
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Depending how far into Yosemite you plan on driving, you won't be doubling back as much as you think. If you're coming through say the Mariposa area, that's still actually above Monterey.

Personally I would look at flights back from SD instead of LA, and flip Anaheim and SD around. Mainly because I'd want to avoid LA traffic as much as possible and this way you're only driving through once. BA do a direct SAN>LHR, or a return indirect is pretty painless.

Rest looks good to me.

Edited at 07:22 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again go for it. There’s no doubling back in reality from Yosemite. 3.5 hours approx to Monterey, as I mentioned before if you can go whale watching. The aquarium is also very good in Monterey, lots to do and if you arrive mid day it doesn’t give you a lot of time, 17 m dr, Carmel, coast ,beach and pebble beach if your into your sport.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Thanks very much for that reply, some good info there and I’ll definitely look into the San Diego option👍
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi again go for it. There’s no doubling back in reality from Yosemite. 3.5 hours approx to Monterey, as I mentioned before if you can go whale watching. The aquarium is also very good in Monterey, lots to do and if you arrive mid day it doesn’t give you a lot of time, 17 m dr, Carmel, coast ,beach and pebble beach if your into your sport.
Hi again, whale watching and the aquarium are definitely on the list, Monterey is actually one of the places I’m looking forward to the most😀
Old 23 Sep 21, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Forgot to mention make sure to stop at San Simeon to see the elephant seals
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
All looks great.

We didn’t find the traffic bad from Anaheim to LAX.

Worst traffic was from Santa Barbara to Anahrim via the kardashian shop. Can’t think what it was called and don’t ask….

Eat at Schooners in Monterey Plaza hotel and spa (and stay if you can). Best meal and service we had on our trip!
Old 23 Sep 21, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

A bit of lateral thinking..

I don’t know how big your family group is and this may cost you out.. but..
The PCH flattens out considerably once you get below San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach.
There is an airport at SL Obispo (not many U.K. tourists perhaps know this) and you could save a lot of travelling time by flying from there (after a night in the Madonna Inn of course, to either John Wayne (Anaheim), Bob Hope (Warner bros and Universal) or even San Diego. Those flights are cheap.

With what you have initially said, I would be tempted to fly from SL Obispo to San Diego (airport is very close to Seaport etc in San Diego) and not even bother with a car whilst there as you don’t need one, saving 4-5 days car hire plus the sometimes extortionate parking in the City.

You could then either pick up a car as you leave S Diego or fly once again to John Wayne. If you drove it, then La Jolla and also Oceanside are interesting stops (Oceanside has Kelly McGillis house from ‘Top Gun’ in it and a lovely pier).
You would still be well positioned in Anaheim and I believe that there is no problem with day tours into LA from there?.

Have a look on a map and you may pick up the gist of what I am suggesting. You would save on a lot of driving and time whilst seeing the best bit of the driving, (Monterey to Pismo Beach).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:47 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

We stopped at all the places youre planning (with the exception of Yosemite because of the weather risk) on our trip last March. It was fantastic. Everywhere was better than we imagined and the drive down the PCH was stunning. We also loved San Diego and can’t wait to go back. We flew from San Diego to LHR but the prices from LAX are usually much cheaper. You’ll have an amazing trip!
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Thanks for suggestions everyone, I will look into all of them👍