Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 11 Oct 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

has anyone ever made icecream from actual custard? i have a tub of posh supermarket custard we didnt use as planned, and before it goes out of date, i might try making another tub of icecream. should i water it down with some milk? i'm thinking of adding some melted chocolate/cocoa to turn it into more choc icecream, as we're almost out of the last batch!

any thoughts? its just an easy way of skipping the making your own custard step, right?
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

*update*

i made some last night using the full tub of tesco finest custard, a can of condensed milk, half a pint of blue top milk, some sugar, cocoa and dark chocolate chips...

pour the milk into a pan and start warming up. add the cocoa and mix thoroughly, add the chocolate chips and allow to melt, stirring constantly until combined.

add condensed milk and the tub of custard to the pan. mix, then allow to cool at room temp until cool, then store in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill before churning and freezing

what wouldnt fit in the first batch being churned got done in a second load, but the motor on the ice cream maker crapped out! so i got the electric hand whisk out to try to add a load of air whilst chilling down. it almost doubled in size after around 10 mins of whisking.

had a small spoonful of both batches, and they are certainly (slightly) easier to get a spoonful straight out of the freezer, which is nice! so hopefully when we try them properly (tomorrow evening?) after theyve been on the counter for 15 mins, hopefully they will be a lot easier to scoop than my last batch (just double cream, no milk/condensed milk/sugar was added)

ive not done a proper comparison to the original batch yet, but initially, i would say the original tastes creamier... but it is *rock solid* to scoop, and also has a texture a little like a chocolate truffle. kinda "dry" but also smooth/creamy.

will post pics soon.

in the meantime, i need a new ice cream maker. i have a few options...

keep the existing churn bucket and mix by hand

buy the kitchenaid bucket and attachments - they are £80-90 new, but there are some as-new on ebay, so i'm watching a bunch of them to try and get a bargain

buy a whole new machine. and if i did, should i go for one with a built in freezer unit so i dont have to keep the bucket in the freezer for a day or two before making a batch. theres some decent looking cheaper units for £100-130ish, but this cuisinart looks like the mutts nuts...

amazon/Cuisinart-G...f_=as_li_ss_tl

my only wish would be for a machine like the cuisinart, but it also had a heating element so you could temper chocolate in it, rather than just for icecream. if anyone knows of a similar device that CAN do both, please shout up!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

A bit of work needed on the texture, it were slightly too large ice crystals, but I think that's a technique issue rather than the recipe. It was so much easier to scoop than the first batch that just used double cream and eggs!

Anyone made ice-cream with a proper machine rather than the cheap ice bowl churn things?
My current machine motor burned out, so I'm in the market for something a bit shinier... Should I get the KitchenAid attachment? Or a proper dedicated machine that doesn't need sticking in the freezer for a day beforehand?
The Cuisinart and sage machines looks nice...

Old 15 Oct 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
A bit of work needed on the texture, it were slightly too large ice crystals, but I think that's a technique issue rather than the recipe. It was so much easier to scoop than the first batch that just used double cream and eggs!

Anyone made ice-cream with a proper machine rather than the cheap ice bowl churn things?
My current machine motor burned out, so I'm in the market for something a bit shinier... Should I get the KitchenAid attachment? Or a proper dedicated machine that doesn't need sticking in the freezer for a day beforehand?
The Cuisinart and sage machines looks nice...

We have this machine, it’s not been out of the box for a couple of years but this thread has inspired me to use it again.
My daughter has used it a lot and it’s easy to use with really good results
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

got the kitchenaid bowl for xmas and the ben and jerrys book, just need to make enough room in the freezer to fit the bowlQ
Old 31 Dec 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I started another thread, not realising this one existed! I also have the kitchen aid ice-cream bowl and I am looking forward to experimenting with different recipes. Someone on the other thread kindly suggested using Greek yoghurt as a base too, which hadn’t even occurred to me!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I have a proper machine (possibly a cuisinart) much prefer it to one of those you have to prechill the bowl…..
1. You can make another batch or more straight after the first, no waiting for hours to re chill
2. You don’t have to plan many hours in front, just plug and go, handy if you get unexpected guests (or grandchildren)..
3. Saves trying to fit the bowl in the freezer, very hard to do if it’s a big bowl and a small upright freezer….
I’ve been known to make 4 different flavours in the same morning…….

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

yeah, assuming i start making stuff regularly, ill probably upgrade the kitchenaid bowl to a unit with a condenser built in at some point, but this was on offer, so figured it would be a good stopgap till then, and second hand prices are generally what i paid new, so i may be able to sell it and not lose anything...

got the B&J book, so gonna have a look through there over the next few days while we're making space in the freezer to put the bowl!
Old 7 Jan 22, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Following with interest as I’ve just ordered a kitchenaid with an ice cream maker !
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
Following with interest as I’ve just ordered a kitchenaid with an ice cream maker !
im a little worried it will be too big for the drawers in my freezer! havent managed to empty a drawer in the freezer which was completely full for xmas. my old bucket was almost half the size of this beast!

saying that though, im probably gonna buy a small chest freezer for the #gocookyouself business im hopefully starting soon! just gotts prep for a hygeine inspection and stuff, so waiting on the new kitchen to get fitted soonish!

still, if i see a compressor based unit on offer or cheap on ebay, i might take a ount, and try to sell the (opened, but unused) kitchenaid bowl at some point, we'll see how we get on!