Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 4 Nov 21, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Starter sewing machine

Good afternoon Dibbers, I’m hoping that someone can help. I’m looking to purchase a sewing machine as a gift for my 14 year old and also a starter set of items needed such as dress makers scissors, some fabric and a pattern book. Could anyone give me some pointers? I’ve seen a lovely peppermint coloured machine in John Lewis and had a look on some comparison sites. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Something like this

hobbycraft/hobbycr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or this

hobbycraft/mini-se...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

World be a idea I used simpler

Edited at 01:46 PM.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Ah yes, I’d seen the first one and I am considering it along with the machine in John Lewis. I think the second machine is too basic as she’s not a complete newbie.
Jessika is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Supersuzie
Helping Mickey

I have that exact machine from John Lewis and would recommend it. I am a complete beginner so started with a basic Brother machine which was fine but quickly broke. As it was a gift, my husband bought me a replacement from JL whilst we were having the Brother fixed and I just never went back to the Brother, the John Lewis machine was so much better. Just feels better built, higher spec and does a bit more even though it was the same price as the Brother.

I was going to recommend an Ikea sewing kit I bought as the accessories are excellent but they appear to have stopped selling it so can't help on that side, sorry. What I would recommend are some fat quarters from Aldi. They are very good value and are lovely designs and will give your daughter something to practice on as soon as she has set it up. I hope this helps.
Supersuzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you Supersuzie that’s very helpful, I will check out the fat quarters in Aldi as would like to have the things needed as I know she’ll want to set up and get started. I will keep my eyes peeled for a sewing kit.
Old 4 Nov 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Something like this

hobbycraft/hobbycr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or this

hobbycraft/mini-se...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

World be a idea I used simpler
I’ve just bought the first one, £75. The assistant in the store said it was plenty good enough. She makes her own clothes and has tried all the machines in the store, and recommended it.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Dont go for a mini sewing machine, I have not heard any good news about them. I have a Brother LS14, its a very popular machine, so lots of instruction videos on You Tube. I have sewn lots with it.
As for started kit, fabric scissors, fabric clips (much better than pins), a selection of fat quarters, thread (I sew 99% of my stuff with white or black thread).stitch unpicker, tape measure, fabric pen.
I use a fabulous site called "birds beautiful bobbin" for lots of sewing accessories
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I’ve just bought the first one, £75. The assistant in the store said it was plenty good enough. She makes her own clothes and has tried all the machines in the store, and recommended it.
Thank you thats very helpful to know.
Old 4 Nov 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessika
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Dont go for a mini sewing machine, I have not heard any good news about them. I have a Brother LS14, its a very popular machine, so lots of instruction videos on You Tube. I have sewn lots with it.
As for started kit, fabric scissors, fabric clips (much better than pins), a selection of fat quarters, thread (I sew 99% of my stuff with white or black thread).stitch unpicker, tape measure, fabric pen.
I use a fabulous site called "birds beautiful bobbin" for lots of sewing accessories
Oh wow, thanks so much for this information, I will check out birds beautiful bobbin now.