Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 29 Nov 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Christmas dinner - what you doing?!

so what you doing this year?

i'm still trying to decide. we've got a turkey crown (my mum bought it, even though we still have some in the freezer from last year we had left over!) that will be done, but before that, i was planning on doing something completely untraditional. like maybe thai monkfish, or something involving south american style beef shortrib, we'll see...

anyway, share any recipes, sides, tips, etc here, hopefully we can help some people out with inspiration like on the thanksgiving thread.

heres last year's though... most of it was prepped (and cooked) in advance so all i had to do on xmas day was finish it all off. the shortrib was cooked in the sous vide bath for 36 hours earlier in the week, then kept in its vacuum sealed bag in the fridge until xmas day. the turkey crown was cooked for 12 hours from frozen and came out the bath on xmas eve and stored in the fridge. both then reheated and browned in the oven for half an hour or so along with the veg and other bits.

for starters, i did a posh prawn cocktail with a spicy sauce using cayenne pepper and sweet paprika

heres the meat after reheating/browning and slicing

and the finished dish...

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looks lovely Wanye. We are not very fond of turkey but I do a small turkey crown or breast as it’s tradition but the main dish is a huge rib of beef - pic below.
Monkfish would be lovely, have you decided yet?
BTW, did you ever move forward with your catering company?
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Looks lovely Wanye. We are not very fond of turkey but I do a small turkey crown or breast as it’s tradition but the main dish is a huge rib of beef - pic below.
Monkfish would be lovely, have you decided yet?
BTW, did you ever move forward with your catering company?
rib of beef is one of my go-to xmas dinners the last few years, so thinking something a bit different. still not got there yet though, need to run a few ideas past my mum!

we've been refining a few things, but hoping to get the first products on a website in time for a few xmas/new year orders, with a proper/full launch in the next few months
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

At this point gawd only knows
Everything I’ve ordered can be frozen just like last year
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
rib of beef is one of my go-to xmas dinners the last few years, so thinking something a bit different. still not got there yet though, need to run a few ideas past my mum!

we've been refining a few things, but hoping to get the first products on a website in time for a few xmas/new year orders, with a proper/full launch in the next few months
Keep us informed!
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Christmas isn't Christmas without a rib of beef centre of the table
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so i ended up with the turkey crown my mum bought, and a hunk of reduced price gammon.

dropped them in the water bath yesterday, cooked at 140f overnight, and then removed to cool on the sink. once cooled, they are going in the fridge till xmas day when ill get them out and reheeat/brown them in the oven for half an hour while the veg is cooking.

gonna do mustard mash with spring onion (using a ricer and some double cream for an extra silky texture, roasted green beans with nuts and feta, roasted veg, sausagemeat/stuffing, and a giant yorkshire pudding to share.

looking at a posh prawn cocktail too, assuming i can pick up some massive freshwater shrimp from my local restaurant supply fishmongers in west bridgford, with smoked salmon, dressed crab, salad (lettuce, onion and halved baby tomatoes) with a gochujang mayo marie rose sauce.

i also bough a couple of racks of lamb cutlets, but as theres only 3 of us eating it, i decided to save them for another night next week...

Edited at 10:06 AM.
Old 23 Dec 21, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Turkey crown for Christmas and gammon for Boxing Day, I need to get off my butt and go buy them both!
Old 24 Dec 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I am doing goose this year, picked it up yesterday and I had to clear out a shelf in the fridge to get it in.

I am going to cook it with a Chinese five spice rub and lemon and limes, served with a date, red wine and port sauce. I will make the sauce today.

There are a only the two of us for Christmas this year, so it is a small 4.5kg goose. I find they don’t have a lot of meat on them but there will be enough for the two of us, some leftovers and a nice Christmas meal for the pugs.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Currently cooking some veges, bit annoyed as I opened my bag of sprouts and omg not good so no sprouts now. Cannot go out cos we have you know what. Nevermind! Only me who eats them anyway.

Have made some chocolate crinkle cookies dough too. Its chilling in the fridge. X

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List