Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Nov 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Booked to go April but have yet to book Travel Insurance and now very confused!

Hope someone will be able to offer me some advice and guidance as my head is now in a complete spin

There is no way we would cancel unless we absolutely had to but the fear is always lurking that something may happen to prevent this (Covid or otherwise) so I like to be prepared for any eventuality.

I have just spent the last 2 hours sorting through all my travel documents looking at the T & Cs relating to Cancellation.

I have worked out that due to good cancellation terms on most elements of my holiday that as long as I don't cancel closer than 60 days out the loss of deposits would be around £200.

Obviously I have never gone on holiday without Travel Insurance and never would as I realise falling ill in the US would be a crippling amount of money.

But what I am puzzling over is at what point should I bite the bullet and buy Travel Insurance? I tell you why I am hesitating ... it is because of age and pre-existing health conditions our premium is very likely going to be £800+.

If we don't get to go and cancel before the 60 day cut off we will lose a negligible amount of money compared to the high Insurance premium.

It seems like it could be just money down the drain when we would not be using any cover
I dont suppose an Insurer would refund ?
Or am I looking at this all wrong ?

Could I leave getting Travel Insurance until nearer the time ?
This new variant is worrying me ...would an Insurer not cover us if it takes off and I've delayed getting it until then?

I am just going round in circles and need some clear minds on this please!

Anyone help me on the advantages of buy it now or buy it a bit later ?

Hope I've not confused you all too much !
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PopAlways
Excited about Disney

I’m in the same situation I think, except booked for May! I usually book single trip for US holidays.
I normally get travel insurance at the point at which I start paying out big chunks of non refundable money. So far I’ve paid out £100 to WDTC which we’re prepared to lose if we don’t travel.
I will take out travel insurance at the point at which we pay the balance and/or book flights.
You’ll be insured from the point at which you take out insurance and from that point forward. No insurance company has ever asked me when I originally booked the holiday.
The only time history matters is for pre-existing medical conditions.
If you have insurance with a company covering for Covid, if they decide they’re not going to cover for Covid or whatever variant it will only apply to new policies.
That’s my thinking anyway!
PopAlways is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thank you for your reply.
Given the current situation I think I will do likewise and see what the situation is when balances become due.
Might seem pessimistic but I don't want to lay out a huge amount on insurance when we might not be even going.
It's a tricky one !
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
PopAlways
Excited about Disney

I know what you mean about not paying out for the insurance until you know you’re definitely going.
Since we last took out travel insurance in 2019, DH has had a Covid induced heart attack and triple bypass. 😬 That’s going to bump the premium up somewhat, but at least he’s still here for us to do it. 😁
Old 28 Nov 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
So sorry to hear that your DH has had such serious problems .
Hope it's all behind him now and you don't have to pay too wildly inflated price for insurance!
Fingers crossed all will be well and our hols can go ahead and you have a fantastic time on your return to Pop. As you say it will be all the sweeter after what you've been through.
X

Old 29 Nov 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Hollytigs
Imagineer

Last year I didn’t take out insurance for our August trip as cancelling the trip was cheaper than the cost of insurance. I think I will get our May insurance soon though, partly because I feel more confident this will go ahead and partly because we’ve had a couple of health scares and I want to get it before anything else happens!
Hollytigs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I see your point Hollytigs.
We've got several pre existing health issues and I suppose if something new cropped up before we took out Travel Insurance then an insurer would not cover it . Part of the clause that you only took cover after the event.
Think I will hold off for a while and see how the new variant is going to affect things.
I do hope you are right and we will get to go 🤞

Old 29 Nov 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Candlestick
Excited about Disney

Ive been looking at insurance today. I have not been able to find one that covers you if they decide you cant travel. Most will cover if either party gets covid. Not worried about rules changes once out there. Only concern is loosing flight money. I booked with wdtc booked room the added flights. Not sure where I stand with them if I cant go?
Candlestick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Have a look at medical-only cover. Cancellation cover is handy, but some of the current policies are pretty good without the need to claim.

We've had 4 cancelled trips so far, and not once had to make an insurance claim. Only problematic one was Holiday Extras.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
PopAlways
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Have a look at medical-only cover. Cancellation cover is handy, but some of the current policies are pretty good without the need to claim.

We've had 4 cancelled trips so far, and not once had to make an insurance claim. Only problematic one was Holiday Extras.
I didn’t know you could get medical-only cover. Which company do you use?