Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 21 Sep 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
rubberduckie89
Excited about Disney

rubberduckie89's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I find it annoying as it's also quite un-specific. I would prefer it to be a label like Vegan or Vegetarian.
Old 22 Sep 21, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

My daughter eats a plant based diet, but wears wool and has a car with leather seats , so is not "a vegan" as such. As others have said, it is a way to put it as a food choice without the whole lifestyle.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDante View Post
I’ve been vegan since last year and not eaten celery once. I’ve even had burgers, pizzas, black pudding, chocolate, bacon, sausages etc, even a doner kebab. Of course I do also eat vegetables, rice and pulses.

If you’ve not tried any of the vegan alternatives I encourage you to give them a try. There are new options coming out all the time.
I often eat veggie and vegan alternatives as I don’t eat much meat at all.
I don’t dislike the meat alternatives and I eat them occasionally but they are ultra processed and really bad for you.

Obviously it’s great that some people are veggie and vegan but I also feel, like another poster that if we all cut back, even a little, it would be hugely beneficial for the planet. Not entirely sure it would be beneficial for our health though to eat a lot of the fake meats.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I often eat veggie and vegan alternatives as I don’t eat much meat at all.
I don’t dislike the meat alternatives and I eat them occasionally but they are ultra processed and really bad for you.

Obviously it’s great that some people are veggie and vegan but I also feel, like another poster that if we all cut back, even a little, it would be hugely beneficial for the planet. Not entirely sure it would be beneficial for our health though to eat a lot of the fake meats.
The soya chunks dd eats are made from soya flour... that is all. Her tofu is also water, soya and salt, i make her pulled jackfruit, it is quite literally jackfruit with the same bbq sauce we use on our pulled pork.

A lot of fake meats are just beans or fruits. You can choose junk food as an omnivore or a vegetarian.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
The soya chunks dd eats are made from soya flour... that is all. Her tofu is also water, soya and salt, i make her pulled jackfruit, it is quite literally jackfruit with the same bbq sauce we use on our pulled pork.

A lot of fake meats are just beans or fruits. You can choose junk food as an omnivore or a vegetarian.
I agree. My issue although I do sometimes eat these items, is with veggie bacon, duck, etc. It’s full of crap.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I saw this in M&S yesterday and it actually turned my stomach.

It was painted a wierd deep pink to try and look like bacon. I can’t even imagine how much processed rubbish is in that.
I am a meat eater but enjoy things like veggie pasta, lasagne, moussaka etc but everything like that now seems to have been replaced with this strange looking stuff.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post

It was painted a wierd deep pink to try and look like bacon. I can’t even imagine how much processed rubbish is in that.
I am a meat eater but enjoy things like veggie pasta, lasagne, moussaka etc but everything like that now seems to have been replaced with this strange looking stuff.
I am also a meat eater but I enjoy vegetarian food and often pick vegetarian off the menu. I would like normal, natural vegetables if I am having vegetarian, not these artificial replacements that are creeping in. Not only do they look vile (like this bacon) but I am highly intolerant of quorn and am worried about anything else having a similar effect on my stomach!
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post

You can argue that for meat products too though... Richmond "pork" sausages... a strange looking pink paste... only 42% pork... and pretty much the same stuff as the fake bacon... pretty much the same fake colour... etc.

I eat meat, but I wouldn't eat those.
Old 27 Sep 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDante
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
...I don’t dislike the meat alternatives and I eat them occasionally but they are ultra processed and really bad for you.
I'm not saying they're healthy. But there are numerous studies already showing that plant-based alternatives, when compared to their meat counterparts tend to have less saturated fat, fewer calories, more protein and more fibre.

When I eat a burger or have a bacon sandwich (using the M&S bacon discussed), I'm not thinking about how healthy it is. Anyone trying to eat healthily does not eat bacon sandwiches. Bacon and sausages are even given the highest level of likelihood to cause cancer by Cancer Research UK but that doesn't stop people from eating it. See news.cancerresearchuk/20...-much-matters/.
DisneyDante is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
You can argue that for meat products too though... Richmond "pork" sausages... a strange looking pink paste... only 42% pork... and pretty much the same stuff as the fake bacon... pretty much the same fake colour... etc.

I eat meat, but I wouldn't eat those.
Totally agree about Richmond sausages, I wouldn’t touch them even if I was starving.
I love vegetables but if I choose to eat a vegetarian meal I want it to be made from actual vegetables not this strange manufactured stuff. I just cannot see the appeal of eating that at all.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List