Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 7 Nov 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

From now on, Bond will be a zombie...
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Darwen Bird
Imagineer

I loved it all.

I didn't want it to end like that but a) I thought they would, and b) they needed to or else it would have been too formulaic & quite cowardly.

I understand it's not an ending someone wants from a Bond movie. I understand people want M parachuting in with a Union Jack parachute, saving Bond and then driving off underwater in a red, white & blue Mini. Whilst the familiar theme tune plays.

But it's the end of the story. Not just Craig's time as Bond but it's the end of our time watching Bond. Yes, it's sad but we had a great fifty years. Just be thankful we got to see an ending - many Bond fans didn't.

Yes, Bond will be back. But that's a story for a new generation. I'm at peace that my Bond story had a beginning, middle & end.
Days Inn Days Lodge, June 89 & 92. Travelodge Maingate East, July 03. West Stonebridge Villa, June 08. Orange Tree Villa, July 10. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 11. Hilton Bonnet Creek, Sept 13. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 14. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 16. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 17. Hotel New York Disneyland Paris, Sept 18. Holiday Inn Disneyland Paris, Sept 23. Margaritaville Resort, Nov 24.
Mr Darwen Bird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

The end was wrong in my opinion
The baton just needed to be passed on

Things are just going too far

Ian Fleming would be turning in his grave. Let’s hope there won’t be anymore

What will be ruined next…
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge

Edited at 10:59 AM.
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Darwen Bird View Post
I loved it all.

I didn't want it to end like that but a) I thought they would, and b) they needed to or else it would have been too formulaic & quite cowardly.

I understand it's not an ending someone wants from a Bond movie. I understand people want M parachuting in with a Union Jack parachute, saving Bond and then driving off underwater in a red, white & blue Mini. Whilst the familiar theme tune plays.

But it's the end of the story. Not just Craig's time as Bond but it's the end of our time watching Bond. Yes, it's sad but we had a great fifty years. Just be thankful we got to see an ending - many Bond fans didn't.

Yes, Bond will be back. But that's a story for a new generation. I'm at peace that my Bond story had a beginning, middle & end.
I totally agree. He needed to die to allow the new bond even half a chance. Daniel Craig did such an amazing job revitalising Bond in to the best secret agent ever that if he was still alive people would always be calling for him back when the new film released (whenever that may be) and this would have been impossible for the new Bond.

P.S. James Bond kicks every other secret agents ass, simple
Old 28 Dec 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

I agree that Daniel Craig was the best Bond, amazing films. But I think the last one he did was the weakest by far and I watched it and was disappointed with the ending.
There was no need for it, as others have said- it just needed to be left for the next actor to pick up where he left off. In hindsight, I think it would have been better for him not to have done ‘one last film’ - although I would have been sad at the time.
Spectre was so good in comparison. The build up to Spectre (the organisation) being all seeing and all powerful and then they were gone. So confused 😕
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024

Edited at 08:56 PM.
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

I don't think it was necessary to kill him off, it worked well before with handovers to the new actor. I remember Bond movies of old where he sailed off into the distance with his latest squeeze and a bottle of bubbly

Edited at 09:40 PM.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
I agree that Daniel Craig was the best Bond, amazing films. But I think the last one he did was the weakest by far and I watched it and was disappointed with the ending.
There was no need for it, as others have said- it just needed to be left for the next actor to pick up where he left off. In hindsight, I think it would have been better for him not to have done ‘one last film’ - although I would have been sad at the time.
Spectre was so good in comparison. The build up to Spectre (the organisation) being all seeing and all powerful and then they were gone. So confused 😕
Oh absolutely this. We had three movies building up the biggest, most evil organisation the world has ever seen and all of a sudden in one party the whole thing was gone. This was the bit that let the whole thing down for me. Seemed like a rush job to me. That should have been the film for me, the destruction of Spectre not in ten minutes at a bar.

The ending made it for me.
Old 28 Dec 21, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
I totally agree. He needed to die to allow the new bond even half a chance. Daniel Craig did such an amazing job revitalising Bond in to the best secret agent ever that if he was still alive people would always be calling for him back when the new film released (whenever that may be) and this would have been impossible for the new Bond.

P.S. James Bond kicks every other secret agents ass, simple
I understand what you are saying but disagree with this up to a point. Your point was correct in the case of Sean Connery being brought back after George Lazenby decided against returning but I think in general most Bond fans accept that the torch gets passed on without the need to kill off the old Bond. There is a massive excitement and news story in whoever the next Bond will be it's up to the producers to get the story right and to select the right person, also for that person to step up to the plate.

Edited at 10:31 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 21, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
I understand what you are saying but disagree with this up to a point. Your point was correct in the case of Sean Connery being brought back after George Lazenby decided against returning but I think in general most Bond fans accept that the torch gets passed on without the need to kill off the old Bond. There is a massive excitement and news story in whoever the next Bond will be it's up to the producers to get the story right and to select the right person, also for that person to step up to the plate.
I think Daniel Craig was very similar to Sean Connery though. He was this generations Bond but he was more than that. He reinvented Bond, he reinvigorated Bond, he introduced Bond to people who thought the franchise was a bit of a joke and he turned it on its head to be as successful as it has been. I would say he is the best Bond by a country mile and so whoever was going to be the next Bond it would have been a poisoned chalice with Daniel Craig/007 still out there, just like you said with Sean Connery.

Either way the next bond has some major shoes to fill.
Old 29 Dec 21, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
I think Daniel Craig was very similar to Sean Connery though. He was this generations Bond but he was more than that. He reinvented Bond, he reinvigorated Bond, he introduced Bond to people who thought the franchise was a bit of a joke and he turned it on its head to be as successful as it has been. I would say he is the best Bond by a country mile and so whoever was going to be the next Bond it would have been a poisoned chalice with Daniel Craig/007 still out there, just like you said with Sean Connery.

Either way the next bond has some major shoes to fill.
I have to agree - I've been alive a while - and have never enjoyed Bond before Daniel Craig. It was a whole new look, away from the corny, misogynistic cheese, to a Bond that had feelings (and all the fancy gadgets). I don't think I'd be wrong saying Craig's Bond made the franchise more alluring to women. In that vein, his ending was appropriate. He finally got all that he wanted, only to lose it at the last moment. I wouldn't care if they didn't make another, as I can't imagine enjoying it as much ever again
babbymint is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List