Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Oct 21, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

hold on card for hotels

Does anyone know of any hotels in Vegas and Anaheim that dont put a big hold on your card? and any that do, is it mandatory? I went to London a few weeks ago and they wanted to put a £500 hold on my card but when I asked if it was mandatory I was told no I just wouldn't be able to charge anything to the room (which was fine as we prefer to pay as we go)

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2021- London
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

You'll find that pretty much all hotels do this now - it's an industry standard. The amount will vary though. It's worth bringing it up when you check-in though as most of the time if you say you don't want a hold they will say the same as the London hotel and you can pay as you go. They may ask you to pay the resort fees upfront in that case so just be aware of that! (Las Vegas that is)
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by soraia View Post
You'll find that pretty much all hotels do this now - it's an industry standard. The amount will vary though. It's worth bringing it up when you check-in though as most of the time if you say you don't want a hold they will say the same as the London hotel and you can pay as you go. They may ask you to pay the resort fees upfront in that case so just be aware of that! (Las Vegas that is)
that's great thank you, the price of the hotel includes taxes and resort fees so that should all be included in the total if I pay before we go

2021- London

princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princessnicki View Post
that's great thank you, the price of the hotel includes taxes and resort fees so that should all be included in the total if I pay before we go
In the USA, the land of the credit card, they will usually just ask for card and ID when you check in and swipe automatically as they are not used to people using debit cards where a hold might be an issue. You can email the hotels in advance to see what their policy is. If they say it's optional or they accept $X in cash instead have the email so that you can show it at check-in if the clerk says something different.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
In the USA, the land of the credit card, they will usually just ask for card and ID when you check in and swipe automatically as they are not used to people using debit cards where a hold might be an issue. You can email the hotels in advance to see what their policy is. If they say it's optional or they accept $X in cash instead have the email so that you can show it at check-in if the clerk says something different.
Thank you, my worry is i am going to 3 locations (orlando, vegas, anaheim) and im seeing holds of upto $100 a day, that will kill off a huge chunk of my spends if the holds dont come off quickly

2021- London

Old 3 Nov 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I found if I pay by cash and don’t charge anything to the room then they can not charge last time in Vegas I was asked if I wanted a card put on hold I said no.I always say no
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
I found if I pay by cash and don’t charge anything to the room then they can not charge last time in Vegas I was asked if I wanted a card put on hold I said no.I always say no
Thank you, i might need to find a hotel with this option as Mirage where we planned to book are saying its not optional as its for "security reasons" not just charging to the room, also can take upto 30 days for the hold to come off, that would be $400 just for the Vegas section of my trip

2021- London

Old 4 Nov 21, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Castle inn Anaheim has never taken a hold from us. , Desert Palms held something like $25

South Point in Vegas has a $100 hold no matter how long you stay , you can pay this in case , but on check out day they wont give it back until the room has been checked over .

As for how long the hold takes. , I always use my Starling debit card, and the hold money is available on my account as soon as the hotel release it , Which is usually the same day we check out .

If you use a prepaid card like Revoult then the holds can take much longer to be released
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Castle inn Anaheim has never taken a hold from us. , Desert Palms held something like $25

South Point in Vegas has a $100 hold no matter how long you stay , you can pay this in case , but on check out day they wont give it back until the room has been checked over .

As for how long the hold takes. , I always use my Starling debit card, and the hold money is available on my account as soon as the hotel release it , Which is usually the same day we check out .

If you use a prepaid card like Revoult then the holds can take much longer to be released
thank you, I had the same problem with prepaid Dollar cards in Orlando when paying for table service food as they automatically placed a hold for the 20% tip when we paid the bill so we effectively paid the tip twice until the hold dropped off

2021- London

Old 4 Nov 21, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princessnicki View Post
thank you, I had the same problem with prepaid Dollar cards in Orlando when paying for table service food as they automatically placed a hold for the 20% tip when we paid the bill so we effectively paid the tip twice until the hold dropped off
Over the last couple of years, certainly in LA and I cant see Vegas being different being a hen/stag party destination, they will demand a cash deposit for security if they cant swipe a card. Its worth bearing that in mind things have changed since covid (Understandably) and many hotels will want a security deposit rather than something you can charge against for incidentals - 20% tip is now normal industry standard too
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List