Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 Nov 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Maybe try contacting @thepointsguyuk on Instagram? I believe they did this yesterday, or something very similar.
Old 9 Nov 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
It's a chance to fly on the A380 in business class.

The cabin upstairs is all closed off so only downstairs.
If you’ve never flown long haul aircraft on short haul routes with BA, there are a couple of differences. It’s likely the IFE (perhaps apart from the maps) will be off, no bedding of course and the catering will be whatever is current in Club Europe. Still a nice seat though, I believe the First cabin is not being used for these flights.

There is a thread dedicated to these A380 training flights (also going to Madrid) on the BA Flyertalk forum

flyertalk/forum/brit...ps-thread.html
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

It's a chance to fly on the A380 in business class.

The cabin upstairs is all closed off so only downstairs.
It's looking like it's around £500 to do this on the dates I checked. You can often get a one way upgrade on the LHR-MIA route fairly cheaply. Just priced some random dates in May and it's £1100 for economy out, CW return or slightly more if you want CW out and E/PE return.

You'd then get a full service CW flight on the A380 (and have the option of upstairs) for not much more than taking the training flight + an economy flight to Florida. Assuming you'll be returning to Florida at some point next year of course.

Edited at 10:24 AM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
It's looking like it's around £500 to do this on the dates I checked.
I can see it as low as £346, and a few dates around £370-380. There probably were cheaper fares, but I class looks closed now.

It is a fair point that one way upgrades can be competitively priced on some routes like MIA. Not a massive fan of CW on the A380 (apart from the upstairs loo), but it would be a novel experience for a short flight.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
I can see it as low as £346, and a few dates around £370-380. There probably were cheaper fares, but I class looks closed now.

It is a fair point that one way upgrades can be competitively priced on some routes like MIA. Not a massive fan of CW on the A380 (apart from the upstairs loo), but it would be a novel experience for a short flight.
Those prices aren't too bad, all the dates I checked were higher. Although admittedly I didn't look very hard.

Also not a fan of CW on the A380. Or the BA A380 in general tbh, it's currently ranked last of the configs I've flown. Had been working my way through the airlines offering this on the SYD route pre-Covid.
Old 9 Nov 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

i am trying to get a few tier points and to start vlogging flight reviews so thought this seemed a good way to do it
Old 9 Nov 21, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

i am trying to get a few tier points and to start vlogging flight reviews so thought this seemed a good way to do it
It's a good choice to vlog, the aviation crowd will be all over a unique route like this.

Go for it.
Old 9 Nov 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

There are cheaper ways to get TPs, though yes, it would have some vlogging appeal (never done vlogging myself, but imagine there are already a few out, the route started yesterday).

I can see why you’re tempted, but I’m a bit of a civil aviation nerd. In normal times BA and Iberia both operate one daily rotation to Madrid on widebody jets (not A380) as a matter of course, and I would often try to be on those flights when travelling to/from/via Madrid, if the timings worked for me.

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Also not a fan of CW on the A380. Or the BA A380 in general tbh, it's currently ranked last of the configs I've flown. Had been working my way through the airlines offering this on the SYD route pre-Covid.
I’ve flown the A380 on about half the airlines that have operated them (BA, QF, QR, SQ, EK, MH and TG). I like the BA A380, just not so much in CW. My favourite in business class of those is probably QR.

Edited at 02:32 PM.
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
I’ve flown the A380 on about half the airlines that have operated them (BA, QF, QR, SQ, EK, MH and TG). I like the BA A380, just not so much in CW. My favourite in business class of those is probably QR.
I'd say QF is actually in the lead for me for cabin config, I was surprised by it as had avoided QF for years due to domestic issues when I was in Aus. But SQ is my favourite airline hands down so it's hard to compete with that. And those superwide seats they have on the A380 are nice. Armchairs on planes, as it should be.

QR was next on my list pre-Covid but that trip got cancelled for other reasons. Then obviously Covid.

Edited at 03:08 PM.
Old 9 Nov 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

ive booked business out and economy back for less than £300 so not too bad. (well some may think i am mad) but i have to start somewhere.

just need to book parking for the day and spend hours driving from Devon!