Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Nov 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
littlefeet1972
Apprentice Imagineer

Weather in August

What is the weather like in August for both Disneyland and Universal.
Also is it very very busy for this month too.

Thanks.
littlefeet1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
rnewman1
Earning More Ears

Ill be interested in peoples views on this, especially the how busy it is.

I have also booked for August and its our first time on the West coast, I am hoping for hot clear days without the afternoon storms and humidity...

Thanks
rnewman1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rnewman1 View Post
Ill be interested in peoples views on this, especially the how busy it is.

I have also booked for August and its our first time on the West coast, I am hoping for hot clear days without the afternoon storms and humidity...

Thanks
I usually go in June, which has cool overcast mornings and temperatures around 90 F in the afternoons.

August and September are the hottest times of the year in California. Temperatures will go over 100 F for multiple days in a row and there is very little humidity or rain.

My LA friends try to get out of the city / suburbs / residential inland areas during this time and take day trips the coast.

August and September are the height of fire season, as the mountains and rural areas are so dried up.

For me Disneyland and Universal would be unbearable in August and September. The huge amount of concrete and buildings traps the sun and heat and the parks can be 5 or 10 F hotter than just at your hotel.

If you are going during this time I would plan to spend the afternoon from 1pm to 5pm at your hotel or somewhere you can be in an air conditioned area or by a pool.

In June I usually make a reservation at a table service restaurant and then spend the afternoon on Main Street in the shops and inside attractions like Main Street Cinema and Mr Lincoln. Round trips of the park on the train would be another way to to stay cool.

Some attractions will close due to the heat. Even in June, the Monorail is closed from 12pm to 6pm as there is no air conditioning.

In California Adventures I again will make a reservation for a table service meal and then spend a few hours in The Animation Building. Before Covid there was either Aladdin or Frozen show in The Hyperion Theatre and I would go to the 3pm show, thats another option if the shows are back next summer.

Edited at 01:48 PM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Most years I am there last week in Aug first week in Sept for Labor weekend . It will be incredibly hot (I love it) and can be humid too - 3 years ago unbearably humid as tail end of a hurricane was sweeping through. The main downside for me is some outdoor dining places only do indoor because of the heat but others have misters which are fin for me. It is busy (especially end of Aug) but locals will move out of LA for weekend breaks in cooler San Diego or up coast so parks can be quieter than say July or Sept. When I was working in San Diego I loved my August weekends around LA as for me the light bouncing off the white buildings and studios was stunning then down to the beach in the afternoon for a swim or lunch at Paradise Cove
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My friend lives in San Diego and works at Google. She says it has only rained twice since February! However, summer temps are not much higher than London from what she was saying
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
last 2 weeks are a bit quieter as usa kids back in school. Last 2 august trips extremely hot
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18

Edited at 07:00 PM.
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Hot but I loved it. As megaflyer mentions I'll never forget waking up, opening the curtains and seeing the colour palette of the low pink and white buildings, the green palm trees and the blue, blue sky. Just stunning. I have been to during June gloom when it can be 2pm before the blue skies appear and it's not as 'wow'.

I wouldn't let the heat put you off it's generally not the same humid heat that you find in Florida. Just hydrate, dress for the weather and enjoy.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
Hot but I loved it. As megaflyer mentions I'll never forget waking up, opening the curtains and seeing the colour palette of the low pink and white buildings, the green palm trees and the blue, blue sky. Just stunning. I have been to during June gloom when it can be 2pm before the blue skies appear and it's not as 'wow'.

I wouldn't let the heat put you off it's generally not the same humid heat that you find in Florida. Just hydrate, dress for the weather and enjoy.
The 2 times I would avoid are June Gloom in Southern California (especially in San Diego) where it can get very chilly and August in Northern California when it can be very foggy and freezing (the hot desert sucks all the moisture from the bay in San Francisco and winter coats needed until it burns off then sweltering - not a nice mixture) all the other time is pretty darn perfect . I love Palm Springs in August when it really is very very hot but the heat in the desert has no moisture so not tiring - but the light (oh boy the light) in SC has to be seen to be believed
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List