Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Nov 21, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

First time driving in USA

We will be driving in the USA for the first time in a couple of weeks - I say ‘we’ however it is my fiancé doing the driving as I am a terrible driver! Anyway… just wondering if I can pick your brains and get a bit of reassurance on what we’re doing.

We’re driving one way from Fort Lauderdale to Hard Rock Orlando. The car is booked for 1 day direct with Avis as we can drop it off at HRH easily (I hope). My questions are:

1. Included in our rental we have unlimited mileage, RSN (cover for roadside issues), LDW (cover the car), third party liability (for for bodily injury and property damage up to a combined single limit of $1,000,000) and PAI (cover myself). We basically picked everything other than ‘cover my belongings’. Is this everything we need?

2. When we collect the car from Avis, I understand they’ll want a credit card guarantee. Could I provide a credit card in my name even though it’s my fiancé driving (and his name is on the booking)? He doesn’t have a credit card so not sure how else we could fulfil this requirement.

3. If we hand over the credit card as the ‘deposit’ on file, I presume I can still pay for the car (I’ve reserved it at a good price but it’s pay on arrival) on my monzo debit card separately (to avoid transaction fees)?

4. Avis offer a refill service where they just charge you for whatever fuel you’ve used rather than you filling up yourself on the way to them. Would it be recommended (or not) to use this service? I feel like it would make things easier but maybe they’d rip us off.

5. Separately, will we need to fill up along the way anyway? The journey is around 210 miles and we’ve rented an intermediate SUV. I want to say I’d expect we wouldn’t need to but I could be completely wrong.

6. The fastest route appears to be around 3 hours 30 mins which is about an hour faster than other routes, but it includes tolls. Should I be buying a toll pass now or can I pay for them as we pass?

7. We have unlimited 3G in the USA on our phones. I presume if we’re comfortable using our phone maps we don’t need a sat nav?

8. Has anyone dropped a car off at HRH and is it easy to find where to go? The Avis at HRH closes at 4pm. Can we return it any time up to this time or do we need to be there sooner?

Thanks and apologies for any silly questions
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
We will be driving in the USA for the first time in a couple of weeks - I say ‘we’ however it is my fiancé doing the driving as I am a terrible driver! Anyway… just wondering if I can pick your brains and get a bit of reassurance on what we’re doing.

We’re driving one way from Fort Lauderdale to Hard Rock Orlando. The car is booked for 1 day direct with Avis as we can drop it off at HRH easily (I hope). My questions are:

1. Included in our rental we have unlimited mileage, RSN (cover for roadside issues), LDW (cover the car), third party liability (for for bodily injury and property damage up to a combined single limit of $1,000,000) and PAI (cover myself). We basically picked everything other than ‘cover my belongings’. Is this everything we need?

2. When we collect the car from Avis, I understand they’ll want a credit card guarantee. Could I provide a credit card in my name even though it’s my fiancé driving (and his name is on the booking)? He doesn’t have a credit card so not sure how else we could fulfil this requirement.

3. If we hand over the credit card as the ‘deposit’ on file, I presume I can still pay for the car (I’ve reserved it at a good price but it’s pay on arrival) on my monzo debit card separately (to avoid transaction fees)?

4. Avis offer a refill service where they just charge you for whatever fuel you’ve used rather than you filling up yourself on the way to them. Would it be recommended (or not) to use this service? I feel like it would make things easier but maybe they’d rip us off.

5. Separately, will we need to fill up along the way anyway? The journey is around 210 miles and we’ve rented an intermediate SUV. I want to say I’d expect we wouldn’t need to but I could be completely wrong.

6. The fastest route appears to be around 3 hours 30 mins which is about an hour faster than other routes, but it includes tolls. Should I be buying a toll pass now or can I pay for them as we pass?

7. We have unlimited 3G in the USA on our phones. I presume if we’re comfortable using our phone maps we don’t need a sat nav?

8. Has anyone dropped a car off at HRH and is it easy to find where to go? The Avis at HRH closes at 4pm. Can we return it any time up to this time or do we need to be there sooner?

Thanks and apologies for any silly questions
1. Yes, Although you didn't particularly need the RSN.
It's Avis' car, it breaks down it's their issue. They are obliged to bring you a replacement and have you on your way.

2. Pretty certain it has to be the named Drivers card, but could be incorrect on this. A debit Card is sufficient with a Return flight ticket.

3. I believe they'll take any card for payment, but the Security is as above.

4. As it's a 1-day rental, Just top up before drop off, hopefully close to HRH/ I-Drive area. As they will charge a Full Tank as though you returned totally empty.

5. I reckon you won't be far away at 210 miles, $10-15.

6. I think you take the hit on the tolls, It's $5.95 per day with Avis plus the cost of the Tolls. Again a 1 day/1 way rental isn't worth paying more.

7. Phone Maps will work.
My question is, Is that Free? Or chargeable? As I thought most networks had stopped free roaming?

8. The Desk will be in the reception area of the Hotel, there should be designated Avis parking at HRH.
Drop-off will be anytime up until close.
Your rental is for a 24 hour period, so may allow you to keep the car overnight and drop off in the morning.

Hope that helps Have a nice time.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JP81 View Post
1. Yes, Although you didn't particularly need the RSN.
It's Avis' car, it breaks down it's their issue. They are obliged to bring you a replacement and have you on your way.

2. Pretty certain it has to be the named Drivers card, but could be incorrect on this. A debit Card is sufficient with a Return flight ticket.

3. I believe they'll take any card for payment, but the Security is as above.

4. As it's a 1-day rental, Just top up before drop off, hopefully close to HRH/ I-Drive area. As they will charge a Full Tank as though you returned totally empty.

5. I reckon you won't be far away at 210 miles, $10-15.

6. I think you take the hit on the tolls, It's $5.95 per day with Avis plus the cost of the Tolls. Again a 1 day/1 way rental isn't worth paying more.

7. Phone Maps will work.
My question is, Is that Free? Or chargeable? As I thought most networks had stopped free roaming?

8. The Desk will be in the reception area of the Hotel, there should be designated Avis parking at HRH.
Drop-off will be anytime up until close.
Your rental is for a 24 hour period, so may allow you to keep the car overnight and drop off in the morning.

Hope that helps Have a nice time.
Thank you so much! Most appreciated.

Great about the debit card for deposit. My fiancé can just give his usual debit card in that case along with proof of our return flight. Presumably we can just show this to them on our phones on the BA app.

I’ll research gas stations for filling up before we drop the car. Hopefully there’s one not too far away!

With the tolls, I presume we can just drive up and pay as we go then without a pass (I think this I what you mean, sorry if I’ve misunderstood). I believe I’ve read they’re cash only? Any idea on cost per toll?

I’m with 3 for my phone contract and believe all older contracts like mine get to keep their free Go Roam feature so I just get my usual UK data allowance in USA.

I’d like to keep the car over night but don’t fancy paying HRH for the parking so hopefully we will get it back in time
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

It’s been 13 years since I last drove but I try to answer them.

1) Yes that insurance would be way enough for you.
2) In the 2 times I drove my wife then girlfriend. We used her credit card and on the other trip we used my parents credit card as they came with us no problems at all.
3) Yes they will take any payment type from debit or credit card. If you already given them the card details to reserve the car they will ask you to sign paper work to take so much plus extra’s like tax and fuel on top of the price. You may also decide to upgrade the car.
4) I would just return the car fill as they will charge you more than you doing this.
5) You should be ok to just use 1 tank of petrol just search petrol stations nearby your drop off point so you can refill the car. Is it your 1st time driving aboard on the right hand side? You driving straight after landing after 3 and half hour drive will be a killer after a 9/10 hr flight and the time difference.
6) I would just pay for the tolls yourself as I’m not sure how many you will travel though but it won’t be no where near the price the Avis would charge you
7) I would check as most modern day cars have a Sat Nav built in.
8) As others have said you may as well use it for the 24 hrs you pay for its use and return it the next day. They give us a extra 30 mins so you may want to go shopping (clothes or food) before returning it.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
I'm a regular poster on here about driving, car hire and tolls generally but sadly I've only limited experience of using Avis and never from FL.

I'll contribute on a couple though.

6 Tolls. Here's a map showing the Florida toll roads. There are a few cashless ones (cashless not unmanned) where you have to use Sunpass or buy a transponder. Any pre-fitted transponder in an Avis car will trigger Sunpass whether switched on or off.

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

This is a very useful guide to Sunpass charges from Andy at DFCH who loads of Dibbers use

discountfloridacarhire.c...sunpass-guide/

7 I've hired full size cars multiple times and never seen a built in sat nav (as at Nov 2019). Higher end cars may have them as long as Avis have renewed the subscription.

You can download the likes of Waze, Navmii, Here we go and others free to your mobile and they don't use data roaming. Just download the maps on wi-fi here in the UK. We don't use sat nav unless were going on one of our off the beaten track trips maybe once a visit. Joan has "Here" on her mobile for that.

If it's your first time driving over there there's an excellent DIBB guide (I say excellent as I've edited and added over the years ) I'll only link it if you're interested

Mick

Edited at 09:20 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS

There's a relatively easy option to get from FL to Hard Rock avoiding tolls by using the H27. We've done it from FL to the WDW area. It's dual carriageway all of the way apart from the first few miles and you go through a few towns if you want to stop and eat
Old 14 Nov 21, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
hawk299
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by mick View Post
PS

There's a relatively easy option to get from FL to Hard Rock avoiding tolls by using the H27. We've done it from FL to the WDW area. It's dual carriageway all of the way apart from the first few miles and you go through a few towns if you want to stop and eat
We do this too, 4 hours instead of 3.5
if using maps on your phone just tick the "avoid tolls" option (easy to find)
I wouldn't do that on the evening you land though, find a hotel in FL for the night and drive up in the morning

We normally find that with jet lag we're up early first morning anyway. Do it refreshed, in the light, no rush
hawk299 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Welsh_Dragon
Proud to wear my Ears

You may know this but petrol stations work differently in the US. You need to estimate the amount of petrol you need and pay before you fill up. Depending on what sort of debit/credit card you are using you may need to change the settings on your card to allow it to be swiped. Also, take photographs of your car when you collect it and mark everything, even minor marks in the pick up damage report form. Also, be aware that in the US you can be overtaken from both the left and right and that turning right at traffic lights has different rules. Otherwise driving is fairly straightforward.
Welsh_Dragon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

With regards to the pre pay at petrol stations, the way we deal with this is, either I go in with the card, stand by the cashier having given him the card while DH fills up - almost all cashiers have been happy to do this, usually happily asking me when I last saw the queen. Or go in, tell them the make of your car and how much fuel is in the car and they can scarily accurately tell you how much fuel will fit
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
With regards to the pre pay at petrol stations, the way we deal with this is, either I go in with the card, stand by the cashier having given him the card while DH fills up - almost all cashiers have been happy to do this, usually happily asking me when I last saw the queen. Or go in, tell them the make of your car and how much fuel is in the car and they can scarily accurately tell you how much fuel will fit
Or what we do - pay cash. Into the kiosk and say "$30 on 6 please". Get the receipt and go back in to get change if it's only $29.

Mick