Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Nov 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Asia recommendations August 23

Hi everyone,

I started planning our first trip to Asia in Jan 2020 and now finally hoping to see it through for our honeymoon at the end of July/first half of August 23.
We have 3 weeks and would really like to do a multicentre trip around parts of Asia so open to any recommendations really!
From research I’ve done already Singapore seems to fit what we would want to do in terms of seeing a city with lots of things to do, but we would also like to spend a week or so relaxing in a nice beach/pool hotel (more of a typical honeymoon kind of feel).

I’m open to travelling to more places but don’t want fly to too many destinations as I don’t want us to feel like we’ve spent the entire trip travelling and not get time to relax and enjoy the places we visit. If anyone could give me tips on places with good weather that would help too.

Thanks in advance. Happy to give more information.
TravelaruaL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Hi,

Have only been to Asia once (COVID thwarted our plans to get to Japan and S Korea last year and this) but loved it.

We wanted a mix of city, nature, and beach/relax and ended up doing 4 nights in Kuala Lumpur, 4 nights in the rainforest in Borneo, 4 nights at Gaia Island Resort (just off the coast of Borneo) and 4 nights in Singapore.

We loved Singapore and think you're right to want to visit. Gaia Island resort is a beach resort that is chilled and relaxing.

We used Air Asia for the flights around, really good and cheap, all fairly quick (max was just over 2 hours, others 1 hour) so not bad.

We did look at Langkawi in Malaysia for the beach element so that's worth looking at. You could also easily reach resorts in Thailand and Phillipines, but depends on how far you want to travel between bases.

Happy to provide any more details on what we did etc.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Thanks for the reply, what you did sounds very similar to what I’ve looked into! Did you find 4 nights in each of those places was about the right amount of time? And the travelling wasn’t too much?
TravelaruaL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Singapore/Bali/Lombok/Gili Islands ❤️

Personally we want at least a week in Singapore as there’s so much we want to see and do. Then I would split Bali between Ubud, Seminyak and Nusa Dua. You can also add on stays in Lombok or Gili islands - or day trips to the Gillis. Just depends how you want to play it
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We did Kuala Lumpar, Penang and Singapore 3 years ago. Agree Singapore is lovely and lots to do there, check out what you want to see before booking number of nights as you might need longer than you think. It’s really easy to get around on their metro but we did 2 centre and loved staying on Sentosa for an on-site Universal type vibe. KL was worth seeing but not top of my list of cities. It was very good value for hotels and I recommend The Face Suites for their roof top pool more so than the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. Penang we just chilled at the Hard Rock hotel with a swim up room which again was good value and far cheaper than you’d pay for one in Europe. I did a mini trippie…

Malaysia and Singapore, Aug 2018
Pretrip
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098062
Kuala Lumpur
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098063
Penang
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098064
Singapore
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098094
Final thoughts
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098100

Edited to add after Mitch’s post that we also did Thailand - Bangkok, Chaing Mai and Phuket - as our first experience of Asia and it was an amazing holiday. It was over 20 years ago now so I don’t feel I have recent enough experience to make recommendations. Friends are also regular visitors to koh Samui and they have stayed in some beautiful hotels there.

Edited at 09:01 AM.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
See I’m completely the opposite. I think those who haven’t been to Asia and did Singapore first, love it. It’s a bit like Asia for beginners. It’s very westernised in places, very expensive, and just was very bland for me. I’ve called it Singasnore/Singapoor ever since. Don’t get me wrong there are great pockets of real Asian culture, but you really have to hunt for them. Sometimes the only way you know you aren’t in the Trafford centre is the prices.

I’ve done a lot of Asia as I lived in Australia for years.

Thailand is a great introduction to Asia, it’s friendly, safe and easy to access. Relatively cheap still, and undeniably Asia. I love a 3 centre, Bangkok (most fun city in the world!) Chiangmai and a week at the beach

Vietnam is another really fun, very accessible country. The trains run from north to south (or vice Versa) and very cheap flights are on the hour. Ho Chi Minh city is great, but Hanoi is fabulous (my brother lived there for a year and I felt totally safe visiting him by myself) and lots of the little stops in between like Hoi An and Hue are great.

Cambodia pairs really nicely with Vietnam. Visiting the temples from Siem Reap was great. Loads of culture around the capital too

One of my best ever holidays was Japan (second only to campervanning around NZ) Just out of this world, Geisha spotting in Kyoto. Spotting Mt Fuji from a cable car. Crazy Tokyo and Osaka. Theme parks. Cooking classes, sake tasting. Wandering around town centres chatting to deer. Fastest trains which are never late. Just incredible

Hong Kong is a great city break too. We did Hong Kong on the way to Japan. Obviously parts are very westernised too, British road signs etc, but just really good fun and great food

I’ve also been to Laos, India and Nepal, all great but more backpacky travelling than holiday. Just a bit harder work.

Bali is Australia’s playground rather than true Asia. I know it’s on the very edge but a good chunk is really Oceania. It’s also very far away from the UK. I never went, mostly because parts are how we use Magaluf, Benedorm etc. flight for cheap drinks/partying etc. not really my thing, but depends on what you are after
Old 15 Nov 21, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

2 years ago we went to hong kong - samui - singapore

best holiday we have ever done.. hong kong is a mix of the west & china , great food, a bit chaotic & great fun. included a day at disney

samui spent a week here chilling on the beach, snorkelling, elephant sanctuary , eating/drinking

Singapore - ultra clean modenr city with some old colonial vibe... also included universal

we a re plannng japan for 2023 with a possible stop en route..
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
2 years ago we went to hong kong - samui - singapore

best holiday we have ever done.. hong kong is a mix of the west & china , great food, a bit chaotic & great fun. included a day at disney

samui spent a week here chilling on the beach, snorkelling, elephant sanctuary , eating/drinking

Singapore - ultra clean modenr city with some old colonial vibe... also included universal

we a re plannng japan for 2023 with a possible stop en route..
Sorry to jump in on OP’s thread but Hong Kong is on our to do list ideally combined with a beach. What time of year did you go and what was weather like? We found Singapore in August unbearable so we’re thinking Easter time.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Geordieprincess View Post
Sorry to jump in on OP’s thread but Hong Kong is on our to do list ideally combined with a beach. What time of year did you go and what was weather like? We found Singapore in August unbearable so we’re thinking Easter time.
was late August, weather was hot & sticky but not unbearable*

tied to school 6 weeks so had no real choice, but on our whole 2 week trip in rained one night on Samui, we where indoors eating at the time so no big deal

hong kong is great, if you do go make sure you take the cable car from Tung Chung to Ngong Ping to see the big buddha on Lantau

* same as florida really after a few days you get into the groove
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
TravelaruaL
Getting Excited

Thank you everyone. I would really like to go to Hong Kong but similar to a previous poster, a little concerned about the weather/typhoon situation as it would be august? Anyone have any experience of this?
All comments are great and I will definitely look into some of the other destinations mentioned.