Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Nov 21, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Sorcerer Mickey
Gone all Goofy

Question First time hiring a car. Is this coverage all I need?

Hi all,

Looking at renting a car for the first time when we go on honeymoon next year. Cheapest I can find anywhere is with Virgin via Alamo, roughly £680 for economy or £850 for an intermediate SUV, for 14 days.

My question relates to insurances instead though, Virgin says on their terms that included in this rental price is:

Third Party Extended Protection (EP) up to $1million.
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) - zero excess in event of damage/accident.
Uninsured Motorist Protection (UMP).
(Unfortunately, can't post screenshots as a new user , but if you want to see the terms in full it's their "VAH CAR ONLY FULLY INCLUSIVE" terms)

Is this all the cover and insurances I require by law to drive in Florida and am I perfectly safe to say no to every other add on that they may try to sting me with?

Thanks in advance!
Sorcerer Mickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The coverage is spot on with Virgin for a stand alone hire - not though if you get the 'free' car with a holiday.

As it is Alamo you wont go near a desk and just pick your own car in the garage from the row that contains the type/size of car you booked. The only time you will be offered anything is at the exit barrier where they will offer you the option to prepay for fuel at a good price and bring it back empty. I always opt for that as I cannot be bothered filling up on the last day.

If you give me your dates I will check you have the right price.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Sorcerer Mickey
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
The coverage is spot on with Virgin for a stand alone hire - not though if you get the 'free' car with a holiday.

As it is Alamo you wont go near a desk and just pick your own car in the garage from the row that contains the type/size of car you booked. The only time you will be offered anything is at the exit barrier where they will offer you the option to prepay for fuel at a good price and bring it back empty. I always opt for that as I cannot be bothered filling up on the last day.

If you give me your dates I will check you have the right price.
That's good information, thank you Tom! So just to clarify, I won't have to purchase any separate insurance? I think I'll definitely opt for the return empty option to save the hassle on the last day.

My dates are 30/04/2022 Landing MCO @ 16:05 - 14/05/2022 Departing MCO @ 19:20

Appreciate the help!
Sorcerer Mickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. Just checked and your prices are correct. That Economy is going to be small and personally I would go for the Intermediate SUV at £850 or the Int Saloon also at £850.

Bear in mind your 'clock' starts as you exit the barrier no matter what time you put as your collection time. You must be back 1 minute before the 'clock' ends. So exit at 17.15 and you must be back by 17.14 albeit there is a 30 minute grace period. Allegedly there is a 2 hour grace period with Virgin car hire but I have never tried it.

I have had maybe 30+ hires via the Virgin site and never had an issue. Mind you I haven't had an issue with the other 7 or 8 3rd party suppliers I use either.

To clarify your last point no you have nothing further to buy for insurance. They do offer PAI which is personal accident insurance for minor medical bills. Waste of money as your medical insurance covers that.

Some pay for enhanced roadside assistance which means you are covered for lost keys and they will come out to change a tire if you have a puncture. If you want that buy it via a UK based company or a US based one. Never Alamo as it's expensive. I don't bother.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:47 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Sorcerer Mickey
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Hi. Just checked and your prices are correct. That Economy is going to be small and personally I would go for the Intermediate SUV at £850 or the Int Saloon also at £850.

Bear in mind your 'clock' starts as you exit the barrier no matter what time you put as your collection time. You must be back 1 minute before the 'clock' ends. So exit at 17.15 and you must be back by 17.14 albeit there is a 30 minute grace period. Allegedly there is a 2 hour grace period with Virgin car hire but I have never tried it.

I have had maybe 30+ hires via the Virgin site and never had an issue. Mind you I haven't had an issue with the other 7 or 8 3rd party suppliers I use either.

To clarify your last point no you have nothing further to buy for insurance. They do offer PAI which is personal accident insurance for minor medical bills. Waste of money as your medical insurance covers that.

Some pay for enhanced roadside assistance which means you are covered for lost keys and they will come out to change a tire if you have a puncture. If you want that buy it via a UK based company or a US based one. Never Alamo as it's expensive. I don't bother.
Hi Tom, I was a little concerned about being dwarfed by all the huge SUV's and pickups over there, so I think the SUV does make sense for us, plus the extra outlet spree bag space!

I think you've answered all my questions in two posts there mate, so I think we'll probably end up going with Virgin for the all-in-one peace of mind. Good to know that I don't have to worry about being stung with extras when I get there too!

Thanks again for the help!
Old 23 Nov 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Have you tried Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire yet?

He will price through Alamo and should be cheaper plus you can be assured that the insurance cover will be tip top.

Certainly worth an email to him
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Sorcerer Mickey
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Have you tried Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire yet?

He will price through Alamo and should be cheaper plus you can be assured that the insurance cover will be tip top.

Certainly worth an email to him
Hello!

I've not tried them just yet but I'll shoot off an e-mail now and see what he can do. I've seen Andy's name mentioned a few times here but it totally skipped my mind.

Thank you!
Old 23 Nov 21, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sorcerer Mickey View Post
Hello!

I've not tried them just yet but I'll shoot off an e-mail now and see what he can do. I've seen Andy's name mentioned a few times here but it totally skipped my mind.

Thank you!
I've no connection with him by the way! As long standing Florida visitors Andy has always been good with his prices and he is a well respected Dibb person. He will give you sensible prices and (Top Tip) if the cost of your booking should reduce in price he will reduce the rate accordingly - it does happen! He's on the ball and quick to reply.

I know other folk on here are finding lower rates by collecting their cars away from the airport, something we've never done, seems to be a newish thing but for simple 'fly - collect - go' I think Andy should be able to sort you out.

discountfloridacarhire/

Edited at 11:54 AM.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Sorcerer Mickey
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
I've no connection with him by the way! As long standing Florida visitors Andy has always been good with his prices and he is a well respected Dibb person. He will give you sensible prices and (Top Tip) if the cost of your booking should reduce in price he will reduce the rate accordingly - it does happen! He's on the ball and quick to reply.

I know other folk on here are finding lower rates by collecting their cars away from the airport, something we've never done, seems to be a newish thing but for simple 'fly - collect - go' I think Andy should be able to sort you out.
Thanks Pupbelly, even if he can price match Virgin, I'd probably still pick Andy over Branson just because of the good things I've heard on here.

I did have a quick nose at the offsite rental places and they're much cheaper, but so are the reviews to match. Knowing me, I'd end up being a typical tourist trap victim and get roped in to every extra they have!
Old 23 Nov 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Contact Andy via email. The rates that the website spit out are only indicators, more often than not Andy will tweak the rates in your favour.

discountfloridacarhire/

Also for those that didn't know Andy can arrange car hire elsewhere, we were meant to be going to Boston and Andy arranged a good rate for that, albeit we couldn't go as the US didn't open up in time for our booking!