Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 19 Feb 19, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Short of points for May 2020

We are going back at the start of May next year and have booked 7 nights elsewhere. I’m 9 points shy of getting a full week at VGF and I’m a little worried that everywhere else will be unavailable at 7 months. We would lose points if we booked 6 nights at VGF then switched to a resort with a lower points cost at 7 months. I would probably be looking for AKV savannah if we couldn’t have our home resort.

I can extend my first week or just do 13 nights, but I’d prefer to do the full week DVC. Dates are pretty fixed as earlier is either more expensive or busier, and any later gets too hot for me. We’re in to the realms of school holidays come August .

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make this work?

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hollie04 View Post
We are going back at the start of May next year and have booked 7 nights elsewhere. I’m 9 points shy of getting a full week at VGF and I’m a little worried that everywhere else will be unavailable at 7 months. We would lose points if we booked 6 nights at VGF then switched to a resort with a lower points cost at 7 months. I would probably be looking for AKV savannah if we couldn’t have our home resort.

I can extend my first week or just do 13 nights, but I’d prefer to do the full week DVC. Dates are pretty fixed as earlier is either more expensive or busier, and any later gets too hot for me. We’re in to the realms of school holidays come August .

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make this work?

Thanks
2 choices, either rent some points from someone with VGF points to book pre 7 months, or on 7 months try to book and buy 9 one time use points from DVC. August is quiet DVC time, I'm not 100% you'd get a studio at 7 months, but you would a 1 bed.
I'd book 6 nights, then try to book the last with 1 time use points, I think. Or maybe pick a cheaper resort at 7 months.
Old 19 Feb 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
2 choices, either rent some points from someone with VGF points to book pre 7 months, or on 7 months try to book and buy 9 one time use points from DVC. August is quiet DVC time, I'm not 100% you'd get a studio at 7 months, but you would a 1 bed.
I'd book 6 nights, then try to book the last with 1 time use points, I think. Or maybe pick a cheaper resort at 7 months.
Sorry, mentioning August was probably confusing. We’re going in May because my older daughter starts school in August and so we can’t go later in the year. We’d be fine for points if we could do November.

I looked up one time use points earlier and apparently they can’t be used for home resorts . Can you still use the home resort advantage with points transfers? I’m not even sure where we’d start trying to find someone who would transfer 9 points. It’s a studio we’re looking at. We have 144 points available.
Old 20 Feb 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sorry, mentioning August was probably confusing. We’re going in May because my older daughter starts school in August and so we can’t go later in the year. We’d be fine for points if we could do November.

I looked up one time use points earlier and apparently they can’t be used for home resorts . Can you still use the home resort advantage with points transfers? I’m not even sure where we’d start trying to find someone who would transfer 9 points. It’s a studio we’re looking at. We have 144 points available.
Hi. One time use Points can be used for your Home Resort.

I think you missed out the one word when checking namely priority. So it would be at 7 months you could ring up and purchase them for your Home Resort.

You have the option to purchase up to 24 additional Vacation Points each Use Year. One-time-use points may be used for Disney Vacation Club accommodations in the 7-month booking window. One-time-use points may not be used for Home Resort Priority. A Member may purchase one-time-use Vacation Points for Disney Collection and World Collection reservations, provided the booking window for that trip is open (for example, Disney Cruise Line reservations may be open up to 2 years in advance). One-time-use Vacation Points may not be purchased for Concierge Collection reservations.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:08 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry I misread your post, May is also a quiet DVC time as long as you avoid any US holidays.
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ahh thank you! Is it worth booking 6 nights with a waitlist at 7 months?
We're planning on the start of the month, so will miss the holiday.

I really want to do the last week in April/first week in May. Would it be much smarter to do the first 2 weeks of May and flip the stays - 6 nights VGF, gap, 7 nights cash? I'm fairly confident that I would be able to extend the cash stay by a night at 7 months.
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’m sure you will get a studio at one of SSR / okw or animal kingdom. We have never had any issues booking these even quite late on.

I do like to book what I can at 11 months just so I have that safety net. Would you be happier with 6 night at VGF and one night off site or at all stars if if in a worse case you couldn’t get anywhere else?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’m sure you will get a studio at one of SSR / okw or animal kingdom. We have never had any issues booking these even quite late on.

I do like to book what I can at 11 months just so I have that safety net. Would you be happier with 6 night at VGF and one night off site or at all stars if if in a worse case you couldn’t get anywhere else?
I'm worried about the impact of Star Wars on availability next year. I think we should be fine Kidani savannah view, but it feels like unknown territory.

I'd rather not switch to a third resort for one night. My husband has just pointed out though that we could start the VGF booking a day late, which gives us the option of extending the cash stay if we can't get a full week in DVC at 7 months.
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We've stayed in 1 bed savannah views at AKL several times and I've never had any trouble booking them at 7 months. Fingers crossed.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

One time points are super easy to get. Maximum of 24 I think.
Gelatoni is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List