Notices

Old 22 Jul 18, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Pre-Trip

Welcome to another trip report of our travels!

First of all, I should introduce ourselves!

I am Mel, a 49 year old training manager. I am mum to two and wife to just one! We live in the south west of France and have done for many years!

J - my husband. He isn't as big a fan of travelling but humours me! However, he knows I take into account his love of water and so far has really enjoyed our trips! He isn't quite in holiday mood yet as he is working until Wednesday evening whereas I am already on holiday (I get more days..)

O - our lovely son who will he 17 on this trip. A boy with a sense of humour who is quietly determined -a word usually used by his teachers is discrete. More on him later!

F - our 13 year old daughter. Horse mad (see later). She is a type 1 diabetic - this doesn't stop her doing anything but may affect how we do it! She is a homebird so takes a little persuasion that she will have fun but throws herself into it all once there! Luke her dad another fish!

So we are off in 4 days time! Packing has begun! This is quite a difficult subject as we booked flights with no luggage included. I have booked two cases. J doesn't understand the art of packing light and was a bit horrified when I only gave him two packing cubes! He has managed quite well.

The other issue is that O us currently in India. Yes, we go in 4 days time! He arrives back 36h beforehand. So I gave to recycle all his stuff and hope it goes in...

We will book a third case for the way back - plus we are taking a wheely cabin case full of F's diabetic stuff so will have a bit more space on the way home!

So details!

We fly out via Lisbon to Boston with TAP. I haven't flown with them before but my in laws who use them every year say they are fine. We have 3 1/2 hours connection time on the way out - so it should be fine. They were a bargain price (even adding in the cost of luggage)!

We fly back 24 nights later on the same route!

We should land at Boston at 1.40pm. We have booked a SUV from dollar with free fuel and additional driver.

We then have an hours drive north to Hampton Beach - a popular beach resort. The initial plan had been to go first to Cape Cod but we were originally flying on the Friday and everything I read was that traffic would be horrendous! So we booked an airbnb condo just north of Hampton Beach. Then our flight to Lisbon was cancelled so as the airbnb was available we bought the flights forward a day.

We are staying in a condo overlooking the beach for 5 nights.

Plans for here are easy - beach and shopping (no sales tax in NH! )

O wants to get clothes! The reason for the extra bag..

Then we move onto Vermont - a small town called Hyde Park just north if Stowe.

We are staying 6 nights on a horse farm. F is very excited. J, O and F will ride - which has added to our baggage woes as both J and F are taking jodphurs and boots!

The farm looks stunning! I can't wait!

Plans in Vermont include:
Riding
Ben & Jerry visit
Stowe
Burlington - a friend is there at the same time so we hope to catch up with her and her family
A minor league baseball game
A drive in film

We then have a long drive to Acadia National Park in Maine. I am probably most excited about here! There will be lots of hiking, water fun and perhaps a boat trip.

We are staying in a house in Northeast Harbor - away from the crowds of Bar Harbor. The owner sounds lovely - she sent us a load of tourist info!

The house is one street back from the main street and a 5 minute walk from the water!

Our final stop is Plymouth - a base to explore both Boston and Cape Cod. I have been to Boston before and feel that two days will be enough to fo the Freedom Trail and Harvard.

Cape Cod - we will see what we feel we would like to do. I have crabbing as a possible activity!

Beach time will be a must! Perhaps Martha's Vineyard.

In Plymouth we will probably go to Plimouth Plantation.

The apartment is near Plymouth Rock so we will no doubt see that too!

Food - we will eat in a fair bit (I don't mind cooking! ) but J and I am looking forward to trying lobster roll and clam chowder. The kids are more looking forward to whoopie pies!

So there we are! I plan, as usual, to do a live trip report! I love looking back on our adventures! Feel free to follow!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 22 Jul 18 10:28 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Sounds wonderful!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like a great trip I will be here following along as usual
Have a good time .

Joan
Old 22 Jul 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
It sounds like another varied and interesting trip and look forward to reading along
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Sounds like a fabulous trip , looking forward to hearing all about it.
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds fantastic, I'm looking forward to following along.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Sounds fabulous,looking forward to reading about your trip

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Twilight Nerd
slightly serious Dibber

Sounds amazing
Twilight Nerd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Can't wait to read about your trip. I've just finished booking all ours up for May next year

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List