Notices

Old 25 Dec 16, 02:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 3 Metropolitan Museum And Carols

Today rain had been forecast and unfortunately the forecasters were right - so it was a museum then.

I was first up as usual - I never sleep well at the best of times. The others came to around 8am and we were soon ready for breakfast. It was a lot busier than before. The usuals were had!

I had thought it was the MOMA museum in the City Pass - but it was in fact the Metropolitan. I mapped out the route on the subway and we left the hotel about 9.45am.

It was certainly raining - thankfully not far to the first subway station. However at the other end it was a bit of a trek. We got wet!

At the museum there was a long line to get in. I had read that the entrance at 81st was a better bet - so we tried there. Yes - success. No queue!

We put our coats into the cloakroom and off we went.

It is an enormous museum. We like the Egyptian bits.

It was well done!

There were quite a few stained glass windows which I find beautiful.

J and I spent a good half hour talking about the various sculptures. And we are not really that arty.

This was probably one of my favourite pieces. It was very cleverly done. It has 5 legs - so from the front it is in a guarding position whilst from the side ready to pounce into action! I am easily amused.

At about 2pm we left - and the rain had all but stopped!

We were heading for a pizza restaurant but come across a small but very busy diner.

F and I had a veggie burger and fries, j a spinach pie and feta salad and O french toast (and half of my veggie burger! ) It was much nicer than yesterday though as expensive at $75.

The plan was to head onto 5th Avenue for F to visit the American Girl shop and O a Barnes and Noble. We subwayed down and both shops were visited but thankfully (well in the case of the American Girl store) no purchases were made.

We loved how the houses were so elegantly decorated. No cheap baubles here

We also passed a very heavily guarded Trump Towers - police everywhere. I only saw one protester though.

We decided to go to the carol concert in Washington Square Gardens. So we walked to the subway at Grand Central and got the subway down to Union Square.

There we went into Whole Foods to find something for dinner to avoid trying to find a restaurant on Christmas Eve. F got teriyaki salmon, O some pizza slices, and the adults a felafel salad and dome pitas. Total cost was $34.

We walked down to Washington Square via an independent coffee shop. There were s lot of people round the tree. We got a carol song book and happily sang along to all our favourites - much yo the kids' disgust.

I think they were secretly amazed that we both actually knew the carols - we are of an age where we had morning assemblies with hymns and carols.

The whole event was lovely!

And even the Empire State Building is getting Christmassy!

We got back and had dinner - everything was a success.

I then went down to the laundry room to do a load of washing. The joys of being a mum! At least I got time to write up the report.

So todays totals:17471 steps (about 13km) and 5 subway rides!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 16, 03:09 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 25 Dec 16 2:09 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 16, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another good day sounds like better food too

Have a great Christmas Day from us both🎄🎄
Old 27 Dec 16, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Sounds like a good day. We're of the age where we remember singing in assembly, and I used to be a chorister, so I love a good session of singing carols!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Oh what a wonderful day, my favourite part being the evening singing carols around the Christmas tree - that just sounds ideal to me.
Old 28 Dec 16, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another good day sounds like better food too

Have a great Christmas Day from us both🎄🎄
Thanks Joan. Our food choices have improved!

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Sounds like a good day. We're of the age where we remember singing in assembly, and I used to be a chorister, so I love a good session of singing carols!
J and I enjoyed the carol singing - not sure anyone around us did though

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Oh what a wonderful day, my favourite part being the evening singing carols around the Christmas tree - that just sounds ideal to me.
It was ideal Jackie - a perfect start to Christmas!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
It looks like the weather picked up for you!

Love the sound of the carols around the tree at night. What a lovely way to get into the festive spirit.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 16, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Love the idea of carols round the tree, how festive
abiknox is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 17, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

A lovely day, and more cultural experiences too! We didnt visit any museums whilst in NYC, just shops! Think I need to go back...

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 17, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
It looks like the weather picked up for you!

Love the sound of the carols around the tree at night. What a lovely way to get into the festive spirit.
We loved the carols - a fab way to start Christmas!

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Love the idea of carols round the tree, how festive
It certainly was Abi!

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
A lovely day, and more cultural experiences too! We didnt visit any museums whilst in NYC, just shops! Think I need to go back...
You do Louise I liked the Met Museum but found the Natural History Museum disappointing.

Index of my trip reports