Notices

Old 27 Jul 17, 02:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario and Quebec 2017: Day 2 - Parliament Hill, Outlets and AG

My day started at 5am! Not bad really!

As J had slept upstairs in the spare bed in F's room, I used the opportunity to tidy up the packing - we gave cubes but last night was a bit of "let's get what we need! "

By 6.30am J and F were up! We got O up at 7.15an and by 7.45 we were leaving to walk to Cora's - a Canadian chain of restaurants that we have been to before.

It was quite off putting as they put the calories on every option - and as I have just lost 5kg I wasn't keen on the 1200 calorie options!

So J had a veggie omelette, I had the poached egg with fruit, O had French toast with fruit and F had her favourite of fried eggs, home fries and baked beans!

We all nicked off each others' plates as usual!

Cost was C$63 plus tip.

We then walked the short distance to Parliament Hill. We had toyed with doing a tour but the queue for tickets was very very long! We don't like queues so we decided just to walk around.

There are a lot of reminders that 2017 is the 150th birthday of Canada.

There were some lovely statues of the important people in Canada's history including some of their PMs and our own Queen.

We went all round the back and then down to the river. This is the view across from Ottawa into Quebec.

Ottawa was chosen as the capital because it bordered Ontario and Quebec (the two "founding" provinces of what is today Canada) and because it was considered to be far enough from the USA - a risk at that time!

We watched as some boats started the long trawl up the canal locks! At least there was a team of lock employees to do all the hard work!

We heard drums and rushed up too many steps to see the changing of the guard. What a privilege!

We went to the tourist office to get a map and as we came out the Guards marched past!

Then it was off to book a bike tour for tomorrow! This may well be the end of me

We walked to Byward Market to have a coffee and get some lunch! I live how beautifully the fruit and vegetables are presented.

J got a veggie burrito, O had a smoked salmon bagel and F and I had felafels and salad in a wrap. We took these back to eat!

We also got a chocolate covered apple which the kids shared for desert!

After a rest, we got in the car for the 25m drive to Tanger Outlets.

After (another) navigation failure by the TomTom we did get there.

Pickings were slim. O got some CK boxers, I got a microwaveable soup bowl and F got the bargain of the day from her favourite Canadian clothes store - a goat reduced from C$139 to C$40 and then when we got to the till it was further reduced to C$28

We had a short rest before nipping to the supermarket for breakfast things and to Dominos for a pizza for the kids. J finished off his burrito and I just had a toasted bagel.

Then it was back to American Girl! The two dolls dame with us too! F took lots of photos - how she loves this place!

We were going to watch the Light Show on Parliament but after 26,000 steps (16km) we were done in so came back! We can do the lights tomorrow!

Edited at 02:53 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 03:20 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 27 Jul 17 3:20 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A great day Mel. The Parliament building is very impressive and love the changing of the guard photos. That was a cracking bargain of a coat, it looks really cosy.
Old 27 Jul 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day sightseeing and shopping the coat was a bargain

Joan
Old 27 Jul 17, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Are you allowed on The Dibb if you don't like queues?

Things are really under way now. (Two trips to American Girl already.) And lovely photos of Ottawa ...and of food. You always take good pics of food; it looks so tempting.

P.S. I love that F bought a goat on sale! You'll chuckle about that when you read this back in the future.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A great day Mel. The Parliament building is very impressive and love the changing of the guard photos. That was a cracking bargain of a coat, it looks really cosy.
The Parliament was impressive - as it should be I guess The coat was a steal at that price!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good day sightseeing and shopping the coat was a bargain

Joan
Thanks Joan - more sightseeing today!

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Are you allowed on The Dibb if you don't like queues?

Things are really under way now. (Two trips to American Girl already.) And lovely photos of Ottawa ...and of food. You always take good pics of food; it looks so tempting.

P.S. I love that F bought a goat on sale! You'll chuckle about that when you read this back in the future.
Oh dear - I may get kicked off after admitting our dislike of queues

Whoops - getting a goat back may be more challenging!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Great day for you all and nice to learn a little history of Canada...thank you. Great bargain with the coat. Hope you continue to enjoy it.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Great day for you all and nice to learn a little history of Canada...thank you. Great bargain with the coat. Hope you continue to enjoy it.
We are! Though I think my legs need a rest after yesterday

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 28 Jul 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You seemed to pack a lot in today. Ottawa looks great. Good job that coat was a bargain-I did have a giggle thinking about coats, goats and lots of dolls and American Girls stuff bursting out your case on the way home!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
You seemed to pack a lot in today. Ottawa looks great. Good job that coat was a bargain-I did have a giggle thinking about coats, goats and lots of dolls and American Girls stuff bursting out your case on the way home!
Typing on an iphone causes quite a lot of typos - some I pick up, others ...

My kids think my mission in life is to wear them out - honestly we do have downtime Just so much to see!

Index of my trip reports