Notices

Old 28 Jul 17, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 3 - Ottawa Bike Tour and a Very Big Spider

My day started early at 5am! Thankfully everyone else managed at least 7am! Unfortunately J was still asleep when the smoke alarm went off while I was doing cinnamon toast for O - whoops!

We were off on a bike tour of Ottawa today so had to be at the bike shop at 9.30am. We set off at about 9am - and on our way saw this - a very big spider on a church roof!

It was in place ready for four days' of performances around Ottawa. Produced by a French team from Nantes this was one of the big events for the 150 year anniversary of Canada!

We arrived on time at the bike shop and got given our bikes and helmets. There were 9 of us on the 3 hour tour. We chose this as we thought it would give us a good overview of Ottawa!

My bike - it served me well

Most of the route was along cycle paths along the canals and rivers.

In winter this stretch of canal is frozen and becomes an 8km long ice rink! People use it to skate to work! Got to be better than sitting in a traffic jam!

In the Glebe area this is a old hall that the locals love - what they apparently don't like is the football stadium and cinema complex built nearby! Not what the area is about - especially the noisy concerts!

There are so many bodies of water! Even this is frozen in winter!

We went over into Quebec where you got an amazing view of the Parliament from afar! Both Ottawa and Gatineau have lots of government offices - it is the main employer! Indeed, Ottawa has the most educated workforce in Canada!

As two water ways merged there was a cooling spray! There has been a lot of rain this spring/summer which has caused flooding. The locals are hoping for a better August!

There are 47 locks on the canal between Ottawa and Kingston. Currently quite a few are closed due to the excess rain. This has meant many boats are stuck!

We cycled past many embassies and to the residence of the Governor General who is the Queen's representative in Canada. I feel for the Guards - it can't be an interesting job!

Back near the start we saw "Maman Spider" - next to the National Art Gallery. She is a pivotal part of the performances from "La Machine" but no-one really understands why and how

We got back to the starting point three hours and 24km later! I was shattered!

We went to the market to get lunch - so starving were we that the felafel pittas and pizza slices were eaten on the hoof on the way home!

No rest though, after a 30 minute battery recharge we were out again for F to take her AG dolls to the AG shop to show the manager Gay who we had met on the first evening. What s lovely lady she was - was so very nice to F!

F was also made up when another little girl asked where she had bought one of the tops her dolls were wearing and she said that she made it herself!

We went then yo Rideau Mall. I wanted to go to the Apple Store to get a new watch strap. Unfortunately they didn't gave it in stock

We ended up splitting up in the mall after that. F and I hit Pink, Forever 21 and Old Navy.

F managed a zip up hoodie, running shorts and vest, a light weight rain mac and PJs! A very happy girl!

We saw a stand in the market on the way back selling personalized bracelets made of wire spelling out your name. They didn't have F's name but said if we gave him 15 minutes he would make it!

We went for a coffee (for me) to pass the time! When we came out a storm was brewing! We got the bracelet then the heavens opened. F put on her new rain coat and we covered up the dolls and made a run for it. Not what our legs needed!

With some tree coverage we managed the run back without getting too wet!

After a dinner of beans on toast (luxury cuisine on this trip ) we headed out to see the performance of La Machine. It was a big deal for the locals. Thankfully it was only a 10 minute walk - the traffic was crazy!

Unfortunately it started 30 minutes late which didn't go down well with the crowd.

From the murmurings around people felt there was too much faffing and the music didn't go with the story it was trying to tell - indeed people seemed confused as to what the actual story was. It may become clearer over the coming days.

Our view was that you could tell it was French

It was a crush getting out. It was a sad reflection of today's society that all the roads around were blocked by big trucks to avoid any idiots.

We were home by 9.30pm and everyone is shattered - 24km on a bike plus 17876 steps (about 12.5km) - we need a quieter walking day tomorrow

Edited at 03:33 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 03:27 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 28 Jul 17 3:27 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

That's a whole lot of cycling, I'm not sure my wee legs would've coped with it, but it sounds like a fab way to tour the area. Hope you manage a less strenuous day today.
Old 28 Jul 17, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Three hours on a bike😳 But looks like you saw some lovely places and spiders

Joan
Old 28 Jul 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
That's a whole lot of cycling, I'm not sure my wee legs would've coped with it, but it sounds like a fab way to tour the area. Hope you manage a less strenuous day today.
My legs are aching this morning - hardly surprising

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Three hours on a bike😳 But looks like you saw some lovely places and spiders

Joan
Will be interesting to see what the spider does today! Apparently there is a dragon around too!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Goodness me I bet your legs are exhausted...did it mean a lie in then!?! I love that they skate the canal in the winter. I wonder if it will all become clear with the spider...
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

The spiders are ...interesting! Nice to be in the capital for some of the celebrations, though.

I'd love to do the bike tour. Don't know how my legs would feel about it! How are yours?

And the American Girl backpack is a brilliant idea. We need to see the item F made herself modelled on one of her dolls. Good on her!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Goodness me I bet your legs are exhausted...did it mean a lie in then!?! I love that they skate the canal in the winter. I wonder if it will all become clear with the spider...
No lie in for me!

There seems to be a lot of chasing of the dragon by the spider! I have seen the back of the dragon but keep getting the spider!

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
The spiders are ...interesting! Nice to be in the capital for some of the celebrations, though.

I'd love to do the bike tour. Don't know how my legs would feel about it! How are yours?

And the American Girl backpack is a brilliant idea. We need to see the item F made herself modelled on one of her dolls. Good on her!

I was discussing all the activities with O on the way to the light show yesterday and admitted it was more good luck than judgment!

My legs are still tired - another heavy walking day yesterday!

Will get some photos of F's designs at some stage - she is very talented! Doesn't get it from her mum

Thanks everyone for reading along!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 30 Jul 17, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Lovely to share some of Ottawa with you. You must be super fit. So lovely of the manager I bet your daughter was delighted. Another good day.

Edited at 04:57 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 02:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Lovely to share some of Ottawa with you. You must be super fit. So lovely of the manager I bet your daughter was delighted. Another good day.
Totally not fit - just determined not to ve humilated by the rest of the family

F was so thrilled - it was just such a lovely gesture!

Index of my trip reports