Notices

Old 5 Aug 17, 02:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 11 - Perth, Rapids and Lombardy Fair

I was awake early at 5am but J didn't surface until after 8! By this time I had managed to mess up brewing the coffee - whoops!

The plan was that J and the kids redid the long rapids run while I went into Perth and then picked them up again!

Life jackets on, they set off. I drive into Perth. The picture of the "Big Cheese" is a celebration of Perth's cheese making history!

My first stop was for a coffee after my mess up with the coffee this morning!

Then I went to the bakery where I got a vegetable quiche for lunch. I also got some of their muffins - the healthy ones

After that I went yo the pick up point.

Meanwhile the tribe were rafting down the Mississippi river!

It apparently was quite fast in places!

With some wildlife - quite a few turtles were seen basking in the sun! Not sure what happens to them in the depth of winter though!

Eventually they came into my view! At least I didn't miss them this time! J said it was better this time as they could anticipate the different turns and rapids!

The descent took 2 1/2 hours and was 8km long. We calculated that over the 5 days they spent about 14 hours on the river rapids! The rings cost C$80 - about 55 euros so we have had our money's worth Mist importantly they had a lot of fun!

After heading back to the cabin to dry off and have lunch (quiche and new potatoes) we went to Lombardy County Fair. We felt this was an experience we should experience! We knew going on day 1 was probably not the best option but as we are leaving Perth tomorrow morning we didn't have much choice!

It was C$30 to get in and it was an eclectic mix of things.

There was a big barn with various animals (cows, sheep, horses etc) and an interesting presentation on the different aspects of agriculture in Canada (we like this sort of thing! ) It also answered a question we had asked ourselves this week - are white eggs different from brown ones? Nutritionally not I still brown the look of brown ones though!

There were various competitions for veggies - such as the longest corn ear! You saw the same names over and over!

There were also the craft section - not sure what condition the cakes will he after 4 days out in the heat with the flies buzzing around!

I thought this quilt was fabulous!

There was also a fairground - my two weren't bothered about trying anything!

We stayed about 90 minutes before heading back via the supermarket to get something for dinner. As you can see we don't dine out that much

We really enjoy the trip out - as O said you gave to try these things!

After dinner we started the task of packing up. Our stuff seems to have grown - I fear another suitcase is on the agenda!

This little chappy was caught climbing outside!

We watched America's Got Talent before heading to bed!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 03:33 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 5 Aug 17 3:33 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Another good day Mel. They really have made fab use of the rings and river.
Old 5 Aug 17, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Another lovely paced day. The fair sounds very eclectic, it's nice to see " real" community life like that. A few too many creepy crawlies around for my liking !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
They have certainly got the money's worth out of the rings

Joan
Old 5 Aug 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

5am at least you finally got your coffee in Perth! You definitely deserve the best driver award, they wouldn't have had as much fun on those rings if you weren't there to collect them-they we're certainly worth the upgrade
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Another lovely day. The County Fair looks very interesting. Glad you've all enjoyed your time in and by the river.
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Another good day Mel. They really have made fab use of the rings and river.
The rings proved to be a bargain in the end! The three water rats loved them!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Another lovely paced day. The fair sounds very eclectic, it's nice to see " real" community life like that. A few too many creepy crawlies around for my liking !
I didn't mind all the insects - well except the mozzies

Originally Posted by mick View Post
They have certainly got the money's worth out of the rings

Joan
Now J is plotting a river descent on our local river! I see more taxiing in my future

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
5am at least you finally got your coffee in Perth! You definitely deserve the best driver award, they wouldn't have had as much fun on those rings if you weren't there to collect them-they we're certainly worth the upgrade
The car is easy to drive so it wasn't a hardship! The coffee was needed

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Another lovely day. The County Fair looks very interesting. Glad you've all enjoyed your time in and by the river.
The fair was lovely - it would have been a shame not to visit!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

I love that first photo. Very North American!

Fourteen hours on the rapids is fantastic! Great experience.

And nice to go to a local county fair. It's really worth getting off the (international) tourist trail, isn't it?

The fairground rides must have seemed tame next to the river rides for O and F. It also looks very quiet.

Onto the next leg... Seems like you're all enjoying yourselves. Hope so!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Another great day for you all, and the county fair looked a good place to visit. Not really heard of Perth so great to be able to read about it...thanks.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List