Notices

Old 14 Aug 18, 02:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Day 17 - Acadia ME to Plymouth MA

As usual I was awake early - 5.30am. I waited until about 6am before I went downstairs to make coffee. Everyone was up by 7.30am.

We had a bit of a fridge clear out. Toast, cheese, yoghurt!

After showers, we packed the car up. We saw Captain Denny and Marcia again and said thank you - they have been fabulous hosts. This is the house! It was ideal for our stay!

By 9am we were on the road. I drove.

We had decided to stop at Freeport as a half way point. This is where LL Bean is based. It took about 3 hours to get here - and as O said - we were still in Maine!

I got a bit annoyed as there seemed to be lots of faffing about where we were going to eat. We ended up at a local sub place.

It was painfully slow - O's pizza came 10 minutes before our very simple subs. And then J's one was wrong. They offered to remake it but I grumpily said that we didn't want to wait yet another 30 minutes so they refunded us and J just ate what he had been given.

We went into two shops - Vineyard Vines but it wasn't as good as the one in Merrimack snd then A and F. O just got a t-shirt.

The kids then had yet another ice cream!

We were 2 hours here - an hour too long in my view!

J took over the driving. It was fine until we hit Boston when it took forever! We realised that if we wanted yo go yo Boston for the day, then we needed to go by train.

We arrived at our airbnb at 5pm. Not the best first impression as the downstairs tenant was smoking something suspicious outside and the stairs leading up to the apartment were a bit scruffy. The actual apartment is fine. But I am not yet feeling the love!

It had been raining since Boston. J and I went to find somewhere to eat - we first headed down to the harbour. It was very quiet snd you couldn't see much! We picked up a coffee each and then headed to the tourist office. The gentleman there was very comprehensive about the joys of Plymouth.

The lobster theme continues. There are lots of these lobsters all designed differently.

We found a Mexican restaurant (Sam Diego) and went back yo sell it to F! She agreed reluctantly.

J and I gad their vegetarian option. There was far too much food.

F chose wisely - a veggie burger with avocado and peppers with fries. Her portion was reasonable so she managed it. O had a burrito and fries - far too much even for a growing boy.

Total was $68 (J gad a beer) which was reasonable.

We walked down to the harbour and came across the Plymouth Rock. Not the most interesting monument!

F asked what it was all about - thankfully the sign told us!

We got back to the apartment and are now chilling out. Thankfully for my ears, the wifi is quick!

So overall first impressions are mixed! Hopefully the better weather will encourage us a bit more tomorrow!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 02:59 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 14 Aug 18 2:59 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A bit of a mixed day, hope tomorrow is better

Joan
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I hope you start to feel the love and the new place isn’t too bad!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Hope you enjoy your apartment more as you settle in. We thought Plymouth was quite charming but it was very hot on the day we were there. Your place in Acadia looks lovely and it sounds like you had a great time.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Sounds like a frustrating day in one way or another. Hope a nights sleep helps and you feel some love for your new accommodation in the morning.
Old 18 Aug 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Ah hope it improves for you !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I’m loving the lobsters!

There has to be one day on holiday that doesn't quite go to plan. Really hope this is the only one (not counting the very start of course when you weren’t well and couldn’t travel. )
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A bit of a mixed day, hope tomorrow is better

Joan
It was

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
I hope you start to feel the love and the new place isn’t too bad!
It was good in the end, not my favourite but we had fun!

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Hope you enjoy your apartment more as you settle in. We thought Plymouth was quite charming but it was very hot on the day we were there. Your place in Acadia looks lovely and it sounds like you had a great time.
I loved Acadia so Plymouth was always going to be a harder sell!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Sounds like a frustrating day in one way or another. Hope a nights sleep helps and you feel some love for your new accommodation in the morning.
The accommodation was fine but nothing really special. It was at least clean!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
I’m loving the lobsters!

There has to be one day on holiday that doesn't quite go to plan. Really hope this is the only one (not counting the very start of course when you weren’t well and couldn’t travel. )
I think I probably underestimated the time it would take so it was another long day! The lobsters were cute though!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Ah hope it improves for you !
Thankfully it did

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List