Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, FastPass+ Questions and Info.

Old 29 Oct 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Allyfe
Helping Minnie

Honestly, I think that this is very sad for all those who were employed and are now without a job, but not surprising. Shows are very unlikely to be able to open until the spring (water park opening planned for March, I wonder if shows MAY start opening round then, or a little later given rehearsal times would be needed, IF there is a vaccine and covid is more under control). Keeping people employed with nothing to do for 5-6 months, at the same time as having reduced income because parks are less full, would be a massive and sadly unnecessary expense. So, they have let them go. However, for my part, it doesn't mean they are cancelling all shows forever, or even that they won't be back by the summer months.

Edited at 11:48 AM.
Allyfe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Allyfe View Post
Honestly, I think that this is very sad for all those who were employed and are now without a job, but not surprising. Shows are very unlikely to be able to open until the spring (water park opening planned for March, I wonder if shows MAY start opening round then, or a little later given rehearsal times would be needed, IF there is a vaccine and covid is more under control). Keeping people employed with nothing to do for 5-6 months, at the same time as having reduced income because parks are less full, would be a massive and sadly unnecessary expense. So, they have let them go. However, for my part, it doesn't mean they are cancelling all shows forever, or even that they won't be back by the summer months.
Totally agree. Theyíre haemorrhaging money all over the place. There will have to be changes in the short term if we ever want the parks to get back to how they were before all of this.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Allyfe View Post
But it's ok for the 2 Bob's to have their full pay reinstated while laying off so many employees? Bad, bad move and looks so bad. Says everything to me. The company is becoming souless. These entertainment cutbacks have been happening over the last few years. Covid is a convinient excuse they will use.They also want people to pay full price while getting nowhere near the experience you should be getting. They were gearing up to bring the Festival of the Lion king back. Social markers were put down. The most highly rated show in the parks scrapped. They just don't give a damn about the entertainment. Most of those acts won't be back.They want as many cutbacks as possible to make as much profit as they can while charging full whack. The magic is disappearing from the parks. They will become an average theme park. The competition will be rubbing their hands with the prospect of stealing custom when people realise Disney are no longer value for money. This breaks my heart.

Edited at 08:37 PM.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mattyped
slightly serious Dibber

The now empty infrastructure is huge. These stadium type shows have huge footprints of real estate. I wouldn't be surprised if they take this opportunity to retheme some areas. I cant personally see indiana jones coming back.
mattyped is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Allyfe
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
But it's ok for the 2 Bob's to have their full pay reinstated while laying off so many employees? Bad, bad move and looks so bad. Says everything to me. The company is becoming souless. These entertainment cutbacks have been happening over the last few years. Covid is a convinient excuse they will use.They also want people to pay full price while getting nowhere near the experience you should be getting. They were gearing up to bring the Festival of the Lion king back. Social markers were put down. The most highly rated show in the parks scrapped. They just don't give a damn about the entertainment. Most of those acts won't be back.They want as many cutbacks as possible to make as much profit as they can while charging full whack. The magic is disappearing from the parks. They will become an average theme park. The competition will be rubbing their hands with the prospect of stealing custom when people realise Disney are no longer value for money. This breaks my heart.
In fairness, I wasn't commenting one way or another on their business model overall, not least because I don't know enough about it. More really that it is not surprising that they sadly didn't want to keep people employed for 5 or so months with nothing to do. It is an absolute tragedy for all of the performers and talents. It is so insanely hard to live your life as a performer for so many, despite the talent and joy the joy they bring to audiences. The parades are one of my favourite things at Disney, and their 'shows' are incredibly good. And also it was to say that I would be surprised if they didn't bring them back (even if the cast are not the same).
Allyfe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MacUK
VIP Dibber

MacUK's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
This is interesting regarding Execs pay. I know it's not wholly owned by Disney but...

wdwnt/2020/10/oriental-l...disney-resort/

Edited at 01:36 PM.
MacUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
EmmaBolan
Apprentice Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

Apparently Disney released a statement today regarding the shows and say they hope to bring these back if and when the time is right! Hopefully they mean this as it's a BIG loss to the parks!

WDWNT

From Minnie Ears to Universal inspired knotbands and much much more for your Disney Trip

Edited at 07:57 PM.
EmmaBolan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Sadly, itís aspects like this that will deter us from going back to Disney as much as I want to introduce my two little ones to it. £1300+ Can be better spent if itís not the full experience.
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
slightly serious Dibber

We've booked to go back in September 2021 but staying on site at Universal. We aren't going to bother with Disney tickets this time it'st just not worth the increased ticket prices.
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
matt987106
Imagineer

matt987106's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
a sad loss

but come Aug, we will still be going, ive said it before, a disney lite experience is better than nothing, we dont really like Universal, it has none of the disney shine
~2018 Aug - NY, Poly and Mar Cyp Harbour ~~2016- OCT Kidani & Marriott Cypress harbour ~2015 - MAY - DLH ( at DLP ) 2014 - OCT - OKW 1bed with DDP & DC ~ 2013 - OCT - OKW with DDP ~ 2011 - OCT - OKW with DDP ~ 2010 - OCT - OKW with DDP ~2008 - OCT - POP
2007 - FEB - A S movies ~ 2002 - June - POR fq ~ 1998 -May-Offiste
matt987106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List