Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

We took our daughter to look at Manchester, Liverpool, Chester and Edge Hill today.
She really liked Liverpool and Edge Hill so the other two are out now.
We are going to Leeds & York tomorrow then Lancaster on Saturday.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
We took our daughter to look at Manchester, Liverpool, Chester and Edge Hill today.
Did you just drive around them, or get out and have a walk. We have only done the virtual open days, Chester is the 7th November

Lancaster is a campus, so be aware they may not let you in.
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kathrynmc View Post
Did you just drive around them, or get out and have a walk. We have only done the virtual open days, Chester is the 7th November

Lancaster is a campus, so be aware they may not let you in.

We only drove round Manchester, she instantly took a dislike to it. We parked up and had a walk around the others though, we didn’t try to go in anywhere.
We could actually see into the shared kitchen and living areas at Edge hill and they were lovely!
Done a virtual tour of the rooms and again Edge Hill looks the best but its not a Russell group university which is putting her off.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

We only drove round Manchester, she instantly took a dislike to it. We parked up and had a walk around the others though, we didn’t try to go in anywhere.
We could actually see into the shared kitchen and living areas at Edge hill and they were lovely!
Done a virtual tour of the rooms and again Edge Hill looks the best but its not a Russell group university which is putting her off.
I sometimes wonder whether it’s the be all and end all a Russell group university. My nephew was also about Russell group when he was looking and the name etc, he ended up choosing Lancaster and is now in his 3rd year and has really enjoyed it. Both him and my SIL don’t have anything bad to say about it.
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would go for the university she loves rather than just because it’s a Russell Group. My DD turned down a place at a Russell Group and went elsewhere as she preferred the course and uni and has really settled in well.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD goes to a RG uni, she looked at both RG and non RG. Her college encouraged her to aim for RG but she said all along that she would go to the uni that she liked the most and had the course she felt interested her more.

She is very happy with her choice and is now in her second year. She studies Biology and she says her uni course is very research based and hands on, which is what she wanted and was led to believe she would get from a RG university.

I think it’s important they choose the uni they feel appeals the most, and also a city they feel happy in. My DD loves the city she’s in, it’s not too far from home but it’s a big city with lovely cafes and shops which she really loves (she’s not one for parties and doesn’t drink) However if you’re DD wants a RG uni, there are plenty to choose from. My DD visited 2 other RG unis that she instantly decided weren’t for her, and also visited a non RG uni that she liked a lot (but felt the town was too small for her) I’m sure your DD will find something she likes, good luck to her xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

I think lots of schools try to push students to go to RG universities. I think aswell as encouraging them to aim a little higher, I think it is for the schools benefit too as it looks better on them.

My daughter's English teacher tried to persuade her to choose the RG uni over the one she chose.

I think the main thing is that the student should be happy and enjoy the course and the place it is located.

There is no hurry yet as they can put down 5 choices and don't need to choose for definate until about April. Hopefully by then, things might be a bit better and you will be able to visit properly to make a final choice.

Good luck with choosing.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD is in Year 2 studying Primary Education. This course is not run in RG universities so her other option would have been a BA in one subject and then a PGCE after.

She was always 100% certain she wanted to teach so chose the Primary Ed three year course, saving a year of tuition fees, etc.

Even on results day, teachers were trying to change her mind and suggesting she go through clearing to a RG uni. It obviously must look very good for the school.

She has no regrets and loves the course, albeit it’s a very different teaching experience at the moment.

Good luck to all those applying now.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Has anyone looked at or been to Edinburgh University?
My daughter has just announced that this looks amazing.
Any reviews?

Edited at 07:09 PM.
Old 30 Oct 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry, another question 🥺
It seems you need to ‘request’ a building and room type. The universities my daughter is looking have different price ranges on certain buildings and room types.
So she would have a budget and would need a room in that budget. What if she only gets offered a more expensive room/building?