Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Pixiedust40
Imagineer

Could this be key cloning?

This is an odd one. I was coming out of a shop earlier and this man was walking past slowly with what looked like a key fob chest height in front of him and it looked like he was pressing it ( which looked really odd as it wasn't by the car park). I then popped into another shop (but walking in the opposite direction to him) but I just felt uneasy so I came back out. He is leaning up the wall outside the shop I've just come out of and his coat is slightly open and it looked like some kind of camera/recording device kind of thing -hanging about waist height and he's holding the key fob towards the front of it. I wondered if he was up to that key cloning that you hear about - whatever he was up too,I felt very really uneasy and went straight back to my car.

I could do with someone with some car knowledge if possible please.
I read far to often about Range Rovers being stolen. Its left me thinking-do I need some extra security on it for the keyless entry and if it was information from my key-could they store that information to gain entry to it it in the future ?

It has got a thatcham alarm on it cat 5 so I read - but its really made me think is this enough or do I need something more?

It may be all in my mind and he may have been up to something completely different but it just felt wrong...

Any advice always gratefully received

...even if it's to tell me that I'm losing my marbles
Old 21 Oct 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pixiedust40 View Post
This is an odd one. I was coming out of a shop earlier and this man was walking past slowly with what looked like a key fob chest height in front of him and it looked like he was pressing it ( which looked really odd as it wasn't by the car park). I then popped into another shop (but walking in the opposite direction to him) but I just felt uneasy so I came back out. He is leaning up the wall outside the shop I've just come out of and his coat is slightly open and it looked like some kind of camera/recording device kind of thing -hanging about waist height and he's holding the key fob towards the front of it. I wondered if he was up to that key cloning that you hear about - whatever he was up too,I felt very really uneasy and went straight back to my car.

I could do with someone with some car knowledge if possible please.
I read far to often about Range Rovers being stolen. Its left me thinking-do I need some extra security on it for the keyless entry and if it was information from my key-could they store that information to gain entry to it it in the future ?

It has got a thatcham alarm on it cat 5 so I read - but its really made me think is this enough or do I need something more?

It may be all in my mind and he may have been up to something completely different but it just felt wrong...

Any advice always gratefully received

...even if it's to tell me that I'm losing my marbles
If you're worried about your car do you have a Faraday pouch for your key. We use those rather than a metal box indoors for the keys for our keyless entry cars, as when we are out we have them with us and the key goes in. We often park near where we may be going outside. Keyless entry cars aren't just at risk at your home.

All keys for our cars, including the spares have their own pouch.

Or perhaps get a good old fashioned steering lock to use.

Edited at 06:00 PM.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Key cloning isn't that easy so it wasn't that.

What you may be thinking of is where they boost the signal from your key fob over a longer range so that they can open and start your car as if your key was by the car.

That kit can be small enough to be hidden on a person, but does not involve a key.

As mentioned either see if your keyless system can be temporarily disabled such as pressing lock twice, or using a pouch.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Pixiedust40
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Key cloning isn't that easy so it wasn't that.

What you may be thinking of is where they boost the signal from your key fob over a longer range so that they can open and start your car as if your key was by the car.

That kit can be small enough to be hidden on a person, but does not involve a key.
God thats so bad what on earth is wrong with these people...why can't they just go to work like the rest of us.

Ahh thanks both I really appreciate it

I'll make sure I keep them in a Faraday pouch from now on and I'll have a look into if the keyless system can be disabled.

Maybe it was an ill wind as they say because at least its made me think more
Old 21 Oct 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

He was using a covert camera, probably behind a button. The key fob is the remote control which it make to look like a car remote.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Pixiedust40
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
He was using a covert camera, probably behind a button. The key fob is the remote control which it make to look like a car remote.
Blimey that sounds more than a little odd too
Old 22 Oct 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yes it sounds more like a camera than anything else .
I’d have reported him to the security in the nearest shop
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pixiedust40 View Post
Blimey that sounds more than a little odd too
They are common for mystery shopping or for benefit/insurance cheat monitoring.

Much more likely to be mystery shopping though.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

For extra security, have a Ghost put on. You have to press certain buttons before you start your car or else it will cut out. It also gas an anti hijack so if you got dragged out of your car it would only let them drive so far before it cut out.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Pixiedust40
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
For extra security, have a Ghost put on. You have to press certain buttons before you start your car or else it will cut out. It also gas an anti hijack so if you got dragged out of your car it would only let them drive so far before it cut out.
Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve had a little look at it online and I really like this