Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 9 May 02, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
spider
Imagineer

spider's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Early to bed, early to rise, 4am to be exact, Ben is still on UK time, we are NOT, so bleary eyed, we get ready for Animal Kingdom earlier than expected!!!

We have arranged a cab with the Guest Services at the Amerihost, talk about green - $20 fare when we later found out it would have been about $10 with Checkers - still, you live and learn!!!

We arrive at AK at 8am to pick up the tickets with our Virgin vouchers - no queue and a down to earth cm who when I said Ben was autistic, said no prob, and issued a Guest Assistance Card straight away - we have access to all the rides via the Fastpass or exit barrier.  Brill!!

Then, through the barriers, quick security check and off for our Character Breakfast.  This is in Donald's restuartosaurus [?] where we were ushered into a side area with about 6 other families.  Can only say that it felt like the characters were on a conveyor belt, first Goofy, then Minnie, then Donald and finally Mickey.  We had the obligitory photo session with Ben more interested in Donald's feet [don't ask!!].  It was extremely busy, the cm's seemed rushed off their feet and there was a slight hint of things having to run to time - not very spontaneous in my view, but perhaps thats just me, never quite satisfied!!!

The breakfast was very good though, lots of it, hash browns, eggs - fried and scrambled, loads of bacon and even a spanishy omlette and "breakfast pizza" which totally threw us!!!  Seeing as Ben had began one of his not eating anything except Frosties and Pringles, we were naughty and smuggled a few extra boxes of Frosties out with us for the following mornings, but seeing as we paid nearly £50 for this experience I didn't feel too guilty!!

Once all the mayhem was over and food scoffed, off out into the glorious sunshine (and heat) of the morning - it was only 9.10am and we walked straight onto the Triceratop Spin as there was hardly anyone about, then off onto the Primeval Whirl.  There was only a short 5 minute wait for this, but I wish I'd not even gone onto it - after all the breakfast this was not a good idea - much to jerky and bumpy for me - urgh!!!  Kids and Dh seemed to enjoy it though!!!

Then we strolled off to Dinosaur, along with quite a few other people, it was beginning to get a bit busy.  We used our GAC and went straight into the main hall just as a group were going in for the "briefing".  I was a bit apprehensive after my Primeval Whirl, but swallowed hard and off we went - excellent!!  We all loved this ride!!!  Then out into the shop [which we later realised was par for the course - ride:shop!!!] a few early souvenirs and off to the next adventure!!

Followed the track round to Discoveryland and the "It's tough to be a bug!" queue which was massive, so again, used the Fastpass which cut quite abit of the queue down for us.  Well, what can I say - this experience made me laugh til I cried - it was sooooo funny!!!  I had never seen a 3-d film before and it was brilliant!!!  We all came out of there with big grins on our faces!!!

It was now beginning to get seriously hot, it must have been getting on for 95 degrees, thirst was kicking in and we decided to have a quick pit stop in the shade and a drink.  

We meandered our way round to Africa as I was concerned that we may miss some of the animals as it got hotter, so next thrill was the Kilimanjaro Safaris.  Again, mass queue so GAC to hand we were directed to a separate area for disabled travellers where a jeep was just setting off - never mind, we'll get the next one!!!  No sooner had it gone than our one arrived, got a seat, mid-jeep, the rest filled up and we were off!!!

All I can say is "Come in Simba 1" - it became the catchphrase of the holiday by DH and Joe!!!  It was a lovely ride, well, not really a ride, but you know what I mean!!  I loved this one, not thrilling enough for my kids, but hey, it was turning into something for everyone day!!!

When we got off, Joe spotted lots of wet people so was desperate to do the Kali River Rapids, and seeing how hot it was getting, none of us disagreed!!  Again, thought this was a great ride, got very wet as we were supposed to!!!

By this time, it was getting on (we'd been here for 4 hours and it didn't seem like it at all) and I wanted to make sure we saw the Festival of the Lion King before the end of the day, so off we marched, for the 2pm show.

We showed our GAC and got 2nd row seats at the front, had the hand jive instructions when the show began - WOW!!!!  What a performance!!!  It was totally AWESOME [as we were beginning to get the American slang!!!]  It was the highlight of the day - even Ben sat mesmerised by all the acrobatics and stilt walkers - it was a great experience, one which I wished I'd videod, but never mind, things like that stay in the memory forever!!!  .

By the time we came of of there, the kids were getting hungry so chips were order of the day [McD's of course!!]  Sorted out ourselves a shady spot and plonked ourselves down for the Mickeys Jammin Jungle parade.  Well, the wait was well worth it - I was very impressed by the fact that the performers of the FotLK were now kitted out for the parade!!!  I thought it was a lovely, livey parade, great music and very interactive with all the kids on the route.  Have to say, that this will probably remain my favourite parade of all the Disney parades, not sure if it was because it was the first, but I just LIKED it!!!

Anyway, we were mindful that the hotel shuttle bus picked up at 5.15 so straight after the parade, it was a quick re-run of some of the rides - Primeval Whirl [minus me!!!], Dinosuar and then a quick dig round The Boneyard.

I know that we didn't get to see all of the attractions, but we were thouroughly exhausted by this time, and we are somewhat limited to what Ben will cope with.

All in all, a GREAT day, went and waited for the bus in the carpark in the blistering heat, back to the hotel for a quick dip and some grub!!!!

Another early night?.?  I think so!!!!

Sharon .  .
spider is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 02, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mapman
Cream Tea anyone ?

mapman's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Absolutely Magical - I love your reports - more please . . .  .

Kilimanjaro Safari is brilliant isn't it - and that BRIDGE - it's just what I imagine being in Africa is like - "Come in Simba 1"

A great day for everyone - did you miss Tarzan Rocks ? - we loved that !

Byeee  .

Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened.

My Orlando Map - http://www.orlandomaps.co.uk
mapman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 02, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Deano
Imagineer

Deano's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great reports, sounds like you had a wonderfull time.

Looking forward to the next installment
Old 9 May 02, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

Wonderful. I'm glad the GAC thing worked out ok for you. It must make life so much easier for you and Ben.

Come in Simba 1... you know, when I read that, I could almost hear it. Brought back all the memories. I love that safari.
2007 - BCV, AKV
2008 - Las Vegas, BCV, AKV, St Petes
2009 - VB, Key West, Miami, BCV, AKV
2010 - OKW, Hard Rock Hotel, BCV
2011 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
2013 - BCV, AKV, 2014 - AKV, BCV, RPR
2016 - BCV, AKV, 2017 - AKV, Royal Pacific, Coronado Springs
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 02, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
crumblesmum
Very Serious Dibber

What a great day - Lion King show is one of my favorites too .
Old 10 May 02, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I'm so glad they got you sorted with the GAC card Sharon, as it must have helped a bit .

Isnt the safari great!
Old 11 May 02, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

Wow - you packed so much in!

AK is great fun isn't it - and the LK show is awesome!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 02, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds like you had a really action packed day, and we always find AK the hottest of all the parks, so you did well. I also love the Lion King show and the new parade. I expect that I'm in the minority, but I prefer it to the new snow globe parade at the MK.  Carolyn
Old 13 May 02, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
spider
Imagineer

spider's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Yeah, we missed the Tarzan Rocks show, so much to see, just not enough time, I wish they would keep this park open just a little bit longer, even to 6pm would be a start!!

Sharon
spider is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 02, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post

AK great park
It always seems the hottest too  .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List