Imagineer

SATURDAY 12th May 2001

Cast list: -

Me (Shaun) - Wallet opener, chauffeur and bag carrier
DW (Alison) - Chief planner, navigator and mother
DD # 1 (Alexandra 7) - Cautious, shy and parking lot number guru
DD # 2 (Laura 5) - Daredevil, chatterbox and sleeper

Easiest, stress free day ever.

Check in at Gatwick by 08:20, had breakfast did some shopping and boarded the plane at 10:10. Late take off at 11:30.

Very impressed with BA flight, we would certainly recommend them to anyone. Better choice of TV channels than Virgin and a bigger screen on the seat back TV's, food great and more in flight drinks offered - so important to me - LOL!

Landed at 2:40 (8hr 10min flight). Straight through immigration with no wait and a short queue for the luggage and a blast through customs - absolutely unbelievable! I had to pinch myself to see if we were dreaming!

Smooth transfer to Alamo car rental and still no queues, straight up to the counter as we had pre-paid. They push for an upgrade from mid-size but it wasn't really worth it as we are staying on Disney property all the time. The car boot (sorry, trunk) "swallowed" 2 large cases,1 medium case and 4 pieces of hand luggage.

So, we drive off and head towards the CBR but we notice a Mears Shuttle bus. “Incoming at 2 O’clock” – so I initiate the “kick down” and speed off to try and beat it to check in. (I don’t think I’ll be needing that Richard Petty school trip now&#33.. Arrived at CBR at 4:15 - only 1 1/2 hours after getting off the plane - Is this a record I ask myself? In previous years we've still been at US customs at this stage.

We went to the Custom House and true to form for the day, still no queues!
We were dreading the check-in from previous horror stories and we expected 1/2 hour wait time from earlier posts.

Some 4 days earlier I had faxed a request through asking for the following: -

Refurbished room
2nd Floor
Non smoking
Close to food court
Trinidad 32
Aruba 52
Martinique 25

What were we offered? - Barbados 13! - it's about as far away from Old Port Royale as you can get!

I slunk off with the kids and let DW sort it out. DW asked for an alternative and was offered Jamaica 41 - not refurbished and miles from the food court!!! Next offer, Aruba 56. Refurbished, 2nd floor but a bit of a walk to OPR. We said we'd take a look and come back if it didn't suit us but WOW - it was beautiful, overlooking a lush green courtyard and very quiet so we decided to stay put. Couple this with blue skies and the sun streaming down we thought we were in paradise!

So far, so good, everything is going swimmingly and I can’t believe it – even the resort lives up to and exceeds all expectations!

Unpacked as far as possible and wandered down to Aruba’s pool for a quick dip with DD’s while DW does the unpacking- isn't life grand.

Wandered over to OPR and bought the refillable mugs etc. We were at the drink stand when I was engaged in conversation with a "native". He only wanted to talk to me as we had an “accent” and was fascinated by it. Gosh, aren’t folk downright friendly in these parts? – you’d never get that in the UK, I mean total strangers engaging you in conversation!

We plumped for a BIG 17” pizza – wow, cheese city or what! – it was just TOO big to eat so we graciously gave in and admitted defeat, but it was delicious.

Went back to the room for more unpacking etc. Before we left I bought a “Thank you” card for DW that DD’s and myself had signed. It was just a small token of appreciation for DW’s hard work, planning, packing and everything else. All that working overtime on Saturday nights from 10 pm to 8 am was all worth it. – DW take a bow.

We fell into bed at about 8:50 - Deep sigh! Peace at last! But then….Crash!…Bang!…Whistle!…..Epcot's fireworks!

No energy to get up and look out at the display.

We set the alarm on the phone ok and settle down for a good nights sleep.

Tomorrow we're off to do AK.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 02, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Amazing-Grace
Imagineer

Amazing-Grace's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Before we left I bought a “Thank you” card for DW that DD’s and myself had signed. It was just a small token of appreciation for DW’s hard work, planning, packing and everything else. All that working overtime on Saturday nights from 10 pm to 8 am was all worth it. – DW take a bow.
</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'> .
You old softy you... .
Old 21 May 02, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post

I've never read your trip reports before
going to enjoy reading them  .
Thank you cards  . your getting as sweet as mark  .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List