Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 15 Mar 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Bayous to Beaches.Oct 19.Day 15 Smelling roses at Washington Oaks & stuffing my face at Metro Diner.

Tuesday 15 October

Yesterday is HERE

We both had a really long sleep - all that fresh air at the beach yesterday had wiped us out.

Another lovely morning coffee on the balcony

As soon as we were up we headed out

to Washington Oaks state park and were there for opening at 9..

It was forecast to be a really muggy day so we wanted to visit while it wasnt too over powering.

It was only a 10 minute or so drive.

Its quite small but such a pretty place with a lake, formal gardens and so`many hidden pretty areas. These are just a “few” of my many pics... it was gorgeous

The pagoda lake and rose garden were especially lovely

The statues and fountains were dotted around

And the trees .. so huge

After admiring ninja squirrel

We popped across the way to the beach .. your admission at the Gardens allows you to park over at the beach

I’d spent all week trying to get a pic of this with no cars in the way

We headed back to the condo and had some coffee and toast and I started to organise the packing - mainly putting stuff we didnt need any more into a case that we could close and not re open and sorting another one for the week ahead in Bradenton.

We had arranged to meet some friends for lunch

Fair to say by now, the holiday shorts i had been wearing earlier were a tad snug but nothing was going to stop me having the Yo Hala on our second visit. Yes never mind Hammer time, Hala time also requires those big baggy pants

Everyone went for fish and chips but not me.

No sir.

And I had changed into a white dress.

Double bold

This features on Guy Fieri’s Diners,Dives and Drive ins.

Two huge pieces of Challa bread, stuffed with cheese, bananas and sauce, fried and covered in berry compote.

It’s not at all photogenic and is the size of a volcano . If you search images of it, they aren’t much more appealing than mine but my, its delicious

And I pretty much ate all of it and did not get any on my dress

I did not need to eat for the rest of the day

Fox helpfully publish the recipe. Although that’s not for one portion but for 4 people

Look away now if you are on a diet.

It’s actually more than my totally calorie count fir a whole day...

After lunch we went for a drive round the area with our friends showing us the neighbourhood. I was concentrating on not being carsick after all that food so no pics

We rounded off the afternoon at the Brass Tap ( which is near the Metro Diner where we had left our car)

I had a Raspberry lemon drop martini

Back at the condo I did a bit more packing, we watched some boats go by with some nibbles

We did think about a walk to the European Village but were too full so settled in to watch tv instead

Today’s cocktail tally: 1
Holiday total : 24

The next day is HERE

Edited at 07:58 AM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Washington Oaks State Park looks lovely, I love a rose garden, just stunning!

That Challah bread is amazing, I’m impressed that you nearly managed to finish it and well done for not getting it on your white dress! Nice raspberry lemon drop martini, I’m not surprised you couldn’t eat more than snacks. That was an epic food day
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The park looks lovely, the pretty little garden statues and ornaments are fan and the gardens look so lush. What a lovely day. Shame there was no alliteration on the cocktail today, I was wondering if it would be Tequila Tuesday or something, but that's just my small mindedness!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I cannot believe how bold you were eating that with a white dress! I know exactly how that would have ended for me

I think I have seen the bread dessert on the TV before. I genuinely don’t think I could eat even a quarter of it, so double kudos to you (and your white dress )
Old 18 Mar 20, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Washington Oaks State Park looks lovely, I love a rose garden, just stunning!

That Challah bread is amazing, I’m impressed that you nearly managed to finish it and well done for not getting it on your white dress! Nice raspberry lemon drop martini, I’m not surprised you couldn’t eat more than snacks. That was an epic food day
Ha ha , it was an epic food day. The park was so pretty , much more so than we expected .

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The park looks lovely, the pretty little garden statues and ornaments are fan and the gardens look so lush. What a lovely day. Shame there was no alliteration on the cocktail today, I was wondering if it would be Tequila Tuesday or something, but that's just my small mindedness!
I love it Abby, that’s a great idea for a trip theme ... Wine Wednesday should be next .
It was so pretty in the park. We didn’t really explore much around the lake so would do that another time.

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I cannot believe how bold you were eating that with a white dress! I know exactly how that would have ended for me

I think I have seen the bread dessert on the TV before. I genuinely don’t think I could eat even a quarter of it, so double kudos to you (and your white dress )
I know , a white dress. What was I thinking
It was on Guy Fieri.. it is heavy going once you are half way into it.. quite sweet. But not surprising I guess
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Another fab day Amanda.
Washington Oaks Park looks stunning and so pristine! I love wandering around public gardens on a hot sunny day. We have Kew Gardens near us and I'm not sure why I don't go more often.
My god you're brave wearing a white dress and eating that scrumptious but very messy looking French Toast. I am probably the most clumsy person you have ever met so there is no way I wouldn't have got most of that down my front
Have you made the recipe at home yet?
I don't know why I have never had a lemon drop martini before as every time I see one mentioned they sound like my perfect drink!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 20, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Another lovely day Amanda. Washington Oaks gardens looks beautiful, and a peaceful spot for a wander.

Goodness, that pudding is immense. Well done on staying clean whilst eating it... that was very brave wearing a white dress when you knew what you were going to order.

Nice end to the day with nibbles on the balcony then relaxing with the TV.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 20, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

The gardens look lovely - very peaceful too!

Lunch looks epic Though you were very brave wearing a white dress!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Another fab day Amanda.
Washington Oaks Park looks stunning and so pristine! I love wandering around public gardens on a hot sunny day. We have Kew Gardens near us and I'm not sure why I don't go more often.
My god you're brave wearing a white dress and eating that scrumptious but very messy looking French Toast. I am probably the most clumsy person you have ever met so there is no way I wouldn't have got most of that down my front
Have you made the recipe at home yet?
I don't know why I have never had a lemon drop martini before as every time I see one mentioned they sound like my perfect drink!
It’s a really pretty park, be a lovely place for a picnic. Another first for us and we really enjoyed the change.
I surpassed myself with the Yo Hala. It was soooo sweet though
Brass Tap had some interesting cocktails. I did enjoy that martini I must say. I don’t think I’ve seen it on a cocktail menu before over here

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Another lovely day Amanda. Washington Oaks gardens looks beautiful, and a peaceful spot for a wander.

Goodness, that pudding is immense. Well done on staying clean whilst eating it... that was very brave wearing a white dress when you knew what you were going to order.

Nice end to the day with nibbles on the balcony then relaxing with the TV.
It was so pretty Lynda, and so quiet that early in the morning. A really lovely start to the day.
Isn’t it lovely sitting out on warm evenings watching the world go by and then watching trashy tv. Oh the simple things on holiday. It was a lovely relaxing end to the day ... and the US snax are so much more exciting than ours

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The gardens look lovely - very peaceful too!

Lunch looks epic Though you were very brave wearing a white dress!
It’s a lovely park and was so quiet. Ha ha, what was I thinking with the dress
Old 10 Apr 20, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

The park looks gorgeous, lovely way to spend some time. Not sure I could have eaten the Yo Hala in a white dress- I would have been compelled to fling some onto myself within seconds!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List